spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

salford

@wildblue.net

Wildblue (DirecTV) No longer taking customers on !!

I have just been told (unoficially) that Wildblue have oversold their bandwidth in a big way !! and are longer taking customers on, in fact they are re-directing them to HughesNet !!

They are dropping some customers who use the internet 24/7 and not on a high priced plan ...The way they are doing this is unknown, prob like me, they are dropping my connection at peak times, every day now!!

They have another satellite going up to ease bandwidth problems, but that does not go online til' June 2011, until then no new customers, and the same old problems we have all had for a long time will continue.

I for one have had enough, and I'm off ........

gulfstream

zalternate

join:2007-02-22
freedom land

4 edits
Interesting.

Xplornet is Canada has this early march(2010) instigated a 20GB limit(from no real limit) per month on Telesat users. Xplornets version has an hourly MB limit that gets throttled lower and lower, the more users that are online. So about 10MB per hour at peak to 50MB(or more) at off peak(overnight).
Going over the 20GB limit will result in a throttle 'up to' 128Kbps. But the user can surf again if they pay $2 per GB to get their speed back.
And yes I know how low the WildBlue limit's are. But when the system is in low use overnight, having a high FAP limit really helps people with Windows updates and other program updates.

And with the new satellite. There will be some months in the testing phase before release to the public. But the same satellite(a viasat1) will be going up for Europe this mid year, so that should reduce the testing time by a small portion.
--
Consumer Rights is more than just a suggestion.

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10
reply to salford
Only some of Wildblue's spot beams are filled up and closed to new customers unless some old customers cancel their service.

I doubt Wildblue is directing customers to HughesNet. A retailer looking to get your business might be trying to fool you.

I have Value Pack and typically keep my download usage between 5,500 and 7,000 MB with a threshold of 7,500 MB. They have not tried to cancel my service or force me to upgrade to a more expensive package. Prime time slowdown occurs because Wildblue packs popular spot beams full of customers to maximize profit. On less popular spot beams, it occurs because they limit the number of servers in the gateway to set the quality of service at poor. In both cases they do it to maximize profit.

Viasat-1, the Ka-band satellite scheduled for launch in 2011, is supposed to have more bandwidth than all of the Ka-band satellites currently deployed. Since Wildblue's poor quality of service is a result of management decisions, there is no guarantee that service on Viasat-1 will be an improvement. It will probably be good for the first year until popular spot beams are again filled up or they are desperate to save money by reducing the number of servers.
--
Value Pack, beam 31, Riverside gateway

EarthSignal
Earthsignal
Premium
join:2002-10-03
Burlington, IA
reply to salford
Someone is selling you a bill of goods. Both companies are oversold in some areas and not in others. You will find some WildBlue customers are happy with their service while others are not. It just depends on which beam your on. If you check the customers reviews on both HughesNet and WildBlue you can decide for yourself. The other posters have offered you some good information.
--
Ron ~ Wildblue Select Pak since 01-2006, Anik F2 Beam 26, service through NRTC, Dell XPS, 2Gig Ram, XP Pro, Router DD-WRT- WRT54GL, Laptop, XP home

salford

@wildblue.net
reply to salford
Thanks for the reply's:

I dont know about the tech side of it, all I know is I keep getting kicked off the internet, and not always at peak times.

Always loose it when it even looks like its gonna rain, we were off for 3 solid days at the beginning of the Month ....

Anyone cant be worse than than Wildblue, and the attitude when I rang up last week was awful, basically telling me to change providers and not offering any help/advice or anything, kinda just shrugging their shoulders ....that when I am paying $69.99 a month is not good enough ............

EarthSignal
Earthsignal
Premium
join:2002-10-03
Burlington, IA

1 edit
said by salford :

Thanks for the reply's:

Always loose it when it even looks like its gonna rain, we were off for 3 solid days at the beginning of the Month ....

Anyone cant be worse than than Wildblue, and the attitude when I rang up last week was awful, basically telling me to change providers and not offering any help/advice or anything, kinda just shrugging their shoulders ....that when I am paying $69.99 a month is not good enough ............
Who do you have your WB service through (DirecTV)? Your system should not go down as you describe, sounds like your dish is not pointed correctly. You might try contacting one of the WildBlue moderators on their official site to see if they can resolve the problem. You can post a message there or send a PM (private message) to a moderator and they can look into your problem.
»wildblueworld.com/forum/

If you do not get your service directly from WB they can still help contact the proper parties involved.
--
Ron ~ Wildblue Select Pak since 01-2006, Anik F2 Beam 26, service through NRTC, Dell XPS, 2Gig Ram, XP Pro, Router DD-WRT- WRT54GL, Laptop, XP home

salford

@wildblue.net
Its all billed through DirecTV ....

He came last week and re-alligned it said it was 40% out ..prob from when it was 1st installed ...

As soon as he had left last week it went down for 3 hours and we had brilliant sunshine ....even after allignment ...

Just had enough ....

Spice300
Premium
join:2006-01-10

1 edit
reply to salford
If you want to, we can help you diagnose your problem to avoid another service call that fails to fix it. If you want help, we need some information from you:

What spot beam are you using? If you do not know, then I can probably figure it out from your ZIP code (or the name of a nearby town and your state) and the month and year when you obtained service.

What computer operating system are you using?

Are you using a router? If so, what is the manufacturer and model?

How is your dish installed, on the roof, on the wall, on a pole or by some other means?

When considering weather outages, remember to check the weather at your gateway. Severe weather at your place or your gateway can interrupt the satellite signal. If you do not know your gateway, I can tell you based on your spot beam.

When you get knocked off the Internet, does your Wildblue modem reconnect in about a minute or does it remain disconnected for a long time? If your modem is not reconnecting normally (about 1 minute), describe the blinking of the Rx light (second light from the top) on the Wildblue modem.

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL
reply to salford
Enterprise plans do not have the restriction on closed spot beams. New service in New Olreans on closed spot beam. Below is what we have. We had existing equipment and just paid for install.

$84.95
Up to 512 kbps download x 128 kbps upload
- Monthly usage threshold 15,000 MB(12,000 MB Download, 3,000 MB Upload)

GotSky.com using a local installer.

DrStrangLov_

@12.189.32.x
said by mikefxu:

Enterprise plans...$84.95
Up to 512 kbps download x 128 kbps upload-
Wildblue may allow Enterprise folks a higher priority on bandwidth.

firebird

@centurytel.net
reply to salford
Wildblue is always on and of for sales. Thats the way it works! They fill a spot, then get more room, repete.I'm a wildblue dealer..,

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
reply to EarthSignal
Most reviews being NEGATIVE! been there, done it with both providers. They are both rip-offs.

Finally found UNLIMITED mobile broadband, so much happier!!

said by EarthSignal:

Someone is selling you a bill of goods. Both companies are oversold in some areas and not in others. You will find some WildBlue customers are happy with their service while others are not. It just depends on which beam your on. If you check the customers reviews on both HughesNet and WildBlue you can decide for yourself. The other posters have offered you some good information.

zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..
reply to EarthSignal
Well not to argue but actually I cruise these forums every other day or so and if you look you will find that the hughesnet forums have went all but since Hughesnet went to the KA band systems. There is a way out of paying for upgrades to switch so those that were unhappy on the old KU systems have pretty much switched over and really there isn't anything much to complain about really. I have the elite plan which should be 2 Mb down and 300kb up and a download threshold of 500 Mb every 24 hours and I get 2.3 to 2.6 down and 250 to 300 up and pings of 550 to 700 on average to websites like Yahoo and 850 to 1200 on Everquest. and 5 hours every night where I can download all I want. While I don't expect this to last forever, even slowed down on the old ku system I was happier with Hughes than I ever was on WB. Just something to look into.

So far I have only seen 2 complaints about slow service on Hughes KA service and both those were from Southern California so that is probably a bad beam and not an oversold one.
--
HughesNet small buissness $99 package / AMC9,83west/990Mhz./.98 dish/2 watt radio/HN7000s modem/ 4 computers on a linksy's wired network

DrStrang_Lov

@12.189.32.x
said by zeddlar:

Hughesnet went to the KA band systems.
...Just something to look into.
Do recall, Hughes KA contention ratio might be lower on various beams, but this too will pass.

But, if you want consistent bandwidth, then consider this:

"While WildBlue and HughesNet offer 400:1 and similar contention (user) ratios, which limits the "bandwidth" that is available to EACH user, iDirect offers plans from 200:1, 100:1, 50:1, 30:1, all the way down to 1:1, which allows it to support many concurrent users and uses including VOIP , VPN, Steaming Audio & Video, and much more! iDirect is commonly used in mobile applications for "live satellite audio / video broadcasts" and for providing Internet access, WAN connectivity, audio / video feed, and telephone service to small businesses and large corporations! iDirect offers monthly service plans from around $150 a month, all the way up to $10,000 a month and a huge choice of options and features.

»www.montanasatellite.com/satelli···rnet.htm

PS: I'm sure ViaSat 1 will be the ticket next year...

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
said by DrStrang_Lov :

iDirect offers monthly service plans from ...
Since that quote is not technically correct, I would add:

iDirect offers NO plans of any type for any price. iDirect is a technology, not an internet provider. There are dozens of companies that buy satellite bandwidth and then purchase/use iDirect equipment, and that's just talking about the US - more on a worldwide basis.

Because of that it is always difficult to compare anything iDirect related; each company has plan variants that include everything from restrictive FAP to no FAP at all. There are "on demand" plans, which is the way most users of live-streaming uplinks operate, buying hours of service at a time. Price range can include both lower and higher than the low/high listed in the quoted text.

iDirect equipment is expensive, and power-hungry. It easily takes a 4-watt 1.2 meter (as I have) to match a Hughes 2-watt .74 meter (as I also have) in terms of possible uplink speeds.

The technology does work, though, and work well. latency near theoretical minimums, and applications like VoIP and VPN work very well so long as the provider is one that allows them.

It is rare to find a home user that wants to jump through the hoops needed for iDirect. Usually a dedicated T-1 line will be cheaper, even in very remote locations.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 105W or 121W, .74 meter G74 on 83W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of PC-OPI and DSSatTool

zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..
reply to salford
Well I don't want to get an argument going on who is better because satt. is worthless no matter how you look at it but still better than dial up most of the time. But with that said, even if my speeds go back in the toilet hughes will be better for me personally because the pings are great and I can download all I want at night and if I hit my fap which I almost never do then I can just use my free token for that month to reset it and start over and I know what time each day my fap will reset. But that is my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own and yes if I could afford it I would have a t1 or a dedicated satt system but I am a farmer not a multi million dollar business.
--
HughesNet small buissness $99 package / AMC9,83west/990Mhz./.98 dish/2 watt radio/HN7000s modem/ 4 computers on a linksy's wired network