spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sandman423
join:2010-03-21
Pleasant Hill, CA

1 edit

sandman423

[DSL] My 2Wire Homeportal 1800HG Died Please help?

Hello all...

We had a power outage and my 2wire Homeportal 1800HG died on us and I am looking to replace it.

I bought another Router through SBC DSL for 106 bucks but I am looking to buy another Router or Modem so I could get online at home NOW and I'm not sure what I need. I am looking to buy another Modem/Router for our house so when I move I could take it with me and keep the one I ordered through SBC at my moms place. Any Recommendations?

What is the best Modem/Router I could buy for our house? We have an old house that was built in 1976 and we got our house rewired to CAT5 and I am looking to go to Frys to buy another router...What do you recommend to get to get the best results for my DSL?

I am not sure what I need...the last Modem/Router that burned out is a 2wire Homeportal 1800HG. Please help me. I am looking for the best Modem/Router to get the best out of my DSL it seemed with my old Homeportal 1800HG my Internet would slow down like a snail whenever I downloaded a file.

My mom and I do a lot of audio and video files so I am trying to find the best Router/Modem that will give me best performance for our connection
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

We need to separate your mom's situation from yours.
For your mother's situation, what speed of DSL service did she sign up for from SBC? Trying to download large video files on the slower DSL services will be slow. If you only have 1.5Mbps download and 384Kbps upload, file transfers are going to be slow. It is not the fault of the modem, it is the service speed you signed up for. And even if you got the 6.0 mbps download and 768 Kbps upload large files would take some time. The modem from SBC is probably good enough.

For your house. If you get your DSL service from SBC, then again the basic modem(no wireless, no router) from them is going to be fine. If you want to do large file transfers, you have to see if you qualify for the 6.0Mbps upload/768Kbps download service. If you want to build a wired and wireless network off of the basic modem, then there are several ways to go. One would be to purchase a device such as the Netgear 3700 concurrent dual band wired and wireless router. The other would be buying a separate router and adding wireless access points. You could also use the combination modem/router/wireless device from SBC, understanding that the speed limitation is NOT the device, it is the service speed from SBC. The SBC combination device can probably handle more speed than what SBC can provide to it. The device can probably handle 8.0Mbps download/1.0Mbps upload, which is above the 6.0Mbps/768Kbps maximum for SBC.