ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
join:2001-08-02
La Porte, IN

2 edits

ztmike

Premium Member

How do you get your videos to your HDTV?

Wasn't sure where to put this question so I decided to put it in this forum, if there's a better forum please move mods.

So, I've been streaming my videos from my computer to my ps3 then to my HDTV, using ps3mediaserver. My question is..is there a better way to go about this that has a better interface for viewing my available videos on my TV, and takes burden off my computer and ps3?

I see there is a device that does this called "Popcorn Hour" and "WD TV" BUT it seems you are limited on harddrives to be able to store your videos for viewing..HD videos takes ALOT of space and having 1 or 2 drives just doesn't cut it.

I'm on my 2nd drive now for filling up..which is a 1.36tb drive. It seems to me that the computer is still the best way for the amount of videos you can store.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

NAS or other file server on your LAN (I just got an HP EX490 for network-based backups and general file storage -- with 1.5 TB drives I can have 10TBs before going with a port multiplier) and then any computer can have access to everything you're keeping.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
La Porte, IN

ztmike

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

NAS or other file server on your LAN (I just got an HP EX490 for network-based backups and general file storage -- with 1.5 TB drives I can have 10TBs before going with a port multiplier) and then any computer can have access to everything you're keeping.
Huh?

You talking about a HTPC? If so those are expensive.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
Here is one idea: »www.amazon.com/Western-D ··· _sim_e_6

This one has network/broadband connectivity so you can stream movies and music from your PC, or from online.

I got a Viewsonic VMP70, which is similar, except it has no network connectivity. I have a 500GB hard drive in an external USB enclosure I use to play media from.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
La Porte, IN

ztmike

Premium Member

said by Doctor Four:

Here is one idea: »www.amazon.com/Western-D ··· _sim_e_6

This one has network/broadband connectivity so you can stream movies and music from your PC, or from online.

I got a Viewsonic VMP70, which is similar, except it has no network connectivity. I have a 500GB hard drive in an external USB enclosure I use to play media from.
I talked about that and the con (for me) in my OP about those.

The problem I'm having is having a device that actually lets me have multiple 1tb harddrives to store with.

Since my first post I did some Google searching for building a HTPC, which seems like my best bet..but the problem I see with that is how would Windows 7 (the OS I would use on the HTPC) recognize my MKV video format for streaming? Is there a program out there that does this for a HTPC with Windows 7 installed?

I know Windows Media Center doesn't recognize this format among many other popular HD formats.

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
Build a WHS:
»www.microsoft.com/window ··· ult.mspx
ophelus
join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO

4 edits

ophelus to ztmike

to ztmike
I hook my computer directly up to my HDTV.. no middle man
said by ztmike:

Since my first post I did some Google searching for building a HTPC, which seems like my best bet..but the problem I see with that is how would Windows 7 (the OS I would use on the HTPC) recognize my MKV video format for streaming? Is there a program out there that does this for a HTPC with Windows 7 installed?
Ohh.. newbie you always so confused..

Here if I were to hookup a network and have more then one pc.. I would share the data via Microsoft Client for Microsoft Networks.. and those shares would allow you to read the .mkv file over the network.. as for codecs I use.. sometimes I use k-lite.. sometimes not

Here's one more newbie tip

Gigabit = good for networking.. 100 mbit = okay.. wireless = bad and you might actually see in some cases your movies *randomly* pause kind of go out of sync for a second or two..

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
La Porte, IN

ztmike to removed

Premium Member

to removed
Out of my price range and the storage space sucks.
ztmike

1 edit

ztmike to ophelus

Premium Member

to ophelus
said by ophelus:

I hook my computer directly up to my HDTV.. no middle man
said by ztmike:

Ohh.. newbie you always so confused..

Here if I were to hookup a network and have more then one pc.. I would share the data via Microsoft Client for Microsoft Networks.. and those shares would allow you to read the .mkv file over the network.. as for codecs I use.. sometimes I use k-lite.. sometimes not

Here's one more newbie tip

Gigabit = good for networking.. 100 mbit = okay.. wireless = bad and you might actually see in some cases your movies *randomly* pause kind of go out of sync for a second or two..
That didn't explain much to me besides something about you using a Microsoft product?

The problem with ps3mediaserver (for me) is that I hate the interface on the ps3 for it.

I did some more searching on Windows Media Center and it looks like there is a extender that allows you to play MKV videos called "VideoBrowser"

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· kmqyxTtI

And for getting the movie info and background picture he used MediaScout
»tvscout.codeplex.com/

That is something that I like..I see I could either buy a basic Xbox 360 or build a HTPC and hopefully that will stream movies to the TV (never messed around with a HTPC) But I guess it streams your movies directly?

I blame the market for not putting something like this out to consumers, basically from what I've seen so far is the consumer has to put all this together.

Or spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for a consumer pre-built.
ophelus
join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO

ophelus to ztmike

to ztmike
Okay.. I take it you currently don't have multiple computers?

You don't need a htpc.. you can use a laptop.. but obviously if you want to pull it away from your tv once in a while.. and get annoyed than that your htpc is gone.. then so be it..

I have no familiarity with xbox360 or ps3.. but I doubt either would suffice for a 1080p rip let's say bigger than 10 Gb and even then maybe not.. (the xbox360 is only like a 1 ghz processor)

All I can say is they add serious complication to the mix and then you have to get custom streaming programs in some cases etc.

Answer my question above first before I try and guide you into sharing files between multiple computers.. using NETWORKS or networking..

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
La Porte, IN

1 edit

ztmike

Premium Member

said by ophelus:

Okay.. I take it you currently don't have multiple computers?

You don't need a htpc.. you can use a laptop.. but obviously if you want to pull it away from your tv once in a while.. and get annoyed than that your htpc is gone.. then so be it..

I have no familiarity with xbox360 or ps3.. but I doubt either would suffice for a 1080p rip let's say bigger than 10 Gb and even then maybe not.. (the xbox360 is only like a 1 ghz processor)

All I can say is they add serious complication to the mix and then you have to get custom streaming programs in some cases etc.

Answer my question above first before I try and guide you into sharing files between multiple computers.. using NETWORKS or networking..
The ps3 and xbox 360 stream 720p/1080p videos fine..if your computer can do it.

I only have 1 computer. The problem I want to most get taken care of is the ugly ass interface of ps3mediaserver on my HDTV.

Windows Media Center seems to take care of that..BUT the ps3 doesn't support WMC, which in my other post above I clearly explained that I would need either a Xbox 360 or a custom built HTPC (if these stream MKV video to the HDTV) using WMC?

PLEASE don't make me try to explain this anymore, my brain is about to implode as is.

removed
Premium Member
Houston, TX

1 edit

removed to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
said by ztmike:

The storage space sucks only if you make it suck. Note that I said build and not buy.

For someone who is asking for help, you sure have a bad attitude.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
La Porte, IN

ztmike

Premium Member

said by removed:

said by ztmike:

The storage space sucks only if you make it suck. Note that I said build and not buy.

For someone who is asking for help, you sure have a bad attitude.
How can you build it when it clearly shows that you (buy) it? »www.microsoft.com/window ··· buy.mspx

Maybe I am coming off as a asshat, but it seems to be nobody here is understanding what I want. (when its pretty simple of what I'm after)

removed
Premium Member
Houston, TX

removed

Premium Member

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· -Product

Like most software, it can also be found for free with some careful research.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
La Porte, IN

1 edit

ztmike

Premium Member

Looking over that link again..

It seems you can add multiple harddrives for what they quote as "up to 17tbs" but how they hell they getting that much space from only 4 harddrives?

I'm looking at these: »www.amazon.com/gp/featur ··· 00424661

The first one I don't think could even play HD videos..I think the second one could as that sounds like the CPU in my current desktop.

Does this OS support MKV video streaming?

removed
Premium Member
Houston, TX

removed

Premium Member

It supports internal drives as well as USB disks for your storage. Drives will continue to get bigger as well - it's actually advertising the OS limitation rather than the limit of the current hardware.

Why don't you buy a case with lots of drive bays, a motherboard with dual core Atom CPU (330 or one of the newer series), 2GB RAM? It'll cost you about $260 and you'll be able to expand it much better than a $500+ pre-built unit.

tstolze
Premium Member
join:2003-08-08
O Fallon, MO

tstolze to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
If storage is what you are looking for I use Unraid: »www.lime-technology.com/

Mine currently has 9 terabytes of storage, it is ~80% full, soon will be time to add some more drives. This will run on some older equipment, or can be purchased. I think it is free until you get over 3 drives, 1 for parity the other two for storage, free for ~4 terabytes with today's drives.
BillyClub
join:2003-09-01
Des Plaines, IL

BillyClub to ztmike

to ztmike
Probably not what your looking for but I tried
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 22136472
and
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 9002-L0C
I believe they will play all MKV files but you will have to supply the HDs

Stem Bolt
Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Premium Member
join:2002-11-08
Metropolis

2 edits

Stem Bolt to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
Maybe I am coming off as a asshat,
Yes....

Perhaps if you post in a more appropriate area, someone there can figure out what you want.

Try here:

»Audio/Video Chat

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium Member
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY

winsyrstrife to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
If you're looking for a quick fix, an all-in-one media player box would probably fill the need. I would however, recommend a PC based solution, which can be configured to meet your needs much better than a media player box. Eventually you will find that a media player box doesn't do what you want, and cannot be altered to do so either. You yourself will need to decide if that's acceptable or not.

If you're not interested in getting your PC to do the work, ignore the below information.

----------------

How do high resolution movies perform on your PC? Have you considered simply buying a DVI - HDMI cable to run between your PC and your HDTV? HDMI - HDMI would also work, provided your video card has an HDMI port.

DVI - HDMI cable:

»www.monoprice.com/produc ··· format=2

This sends the video signal from your PC to your HDTV. Provided your video card is capable, you can output the signal at 1920x1080. If you choose to do so, the next issue would be sending an audio signal to the HDTV. Does your PC have a digital audio output port, be it coaxial or Toslink?

Coaxial:

»hometheater.about.com/od ··· ecto.htm

Toslink:

»hometheater.about.com/od ··· nect.htm

The next question after that becomes "what device will accept the digital audio signal coming from your PC? Does your HDTV accept digital audio input? Do you have a stereo receiver near your HDTV that accepts digital audio input?

This is just a personal opinion, but upgrading the PC in question to Windows 7 may be an option. It has a lot of the function you're looking for, built in. Since you're considering purchases, I thought I'd recommend it.
dumpav
join:2002-08-06
Brooklyn, NY

dumpav to ztmike

to ztmike
anyone know how to play blueray iso to hdtv?

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
I have been seriously considering the popcorn hour...from the sounds of it, it is a very popular unit with really slick interfaces. Personally, I am long past archiving/storing everything under the sun (or at least what I THINK I might get to watching in some lifetime). With speeds so fast now a days, I can usually get what I want to watch within 45 minutes time and with stuff sticking around now for close to 600 days, it is never to far away.

Can't the popcorn hour connect to non-local storage somewhere else on the network, that wouldnt limit you to the internal drive?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
I don't have an hdtv to get my videos to, unless you count my little 20" 1600x900 monitor.

But, if I did, I'd either use the computer that's already in the living room (plug it straight in with vga, dvi, or hdmi, whichever's available on both) or a WDTV-type device. Most likely the latter, as unless I build myself a new PC to replace my current primary, I won't have a computer in the living room capable of playing HD. The current one is an old Athlon XP, and chokes on 720 and up.

Note there IS a WDTV with network ability--just plug it into your network and it can access your shares. Some other media players also have this ability. Some have wifi, but I wouldn't trust HD to wifi, myself.

My friend has his 52" hdtv plugged directly into his computer. He uses it as his monitor. Yes, he's nuts.

Stem Bolt
Premium Member
Metropolis

1 edit

Stem Bolt to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
said by swintec:

I have been seriously considering the popcorn hour...

Can't the popcorn hour connect to non-local storage somewhere else on the network, that wouldnt limit you to the internal drive?
I have a first generation Popcorn and it's great. No problems for last 2 years. The newer Popcorn models look to be even better. It plays everything including DVD ISO's with full menus.

Yes, the Popcorn Hour can access NAS (network-attached storage) devices on your network. So storage shouldn't be a problem. You can stream video from your computer, NAS, USB drive or play them from the internal disk.

The newest version of Popcorn (Popbox) is due out this Spring. It will have Netflix and be cheaper. You won't be able to have an internal drive with the Popbox.

»gizmodo.com/5439293/syab ··· er-champ

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
I use the first WDTV myself. Does most of what I need it to do. Will not play some downloaded anime right but most everything works fine.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to Stem Bolt

Premium Member

to Stem Bolt
The new one not have network? I don't see an rj45 port in the pictures, and it's not mentioned in the article text.

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to ztmike

to ztmike
said by ztmike:

I see there is a device that does this called "Popcorn Hour" and "WD TV" BUT it seems you are limited on harddrives to be able to store your videos for viewing..HD videos takes ALOT of space and having 1 or 2 drives just doesn't cut it.

Limited how? I have a bunch of USB drives on a hub on my Popcorn Hour.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
La Porte, IN

ztmike

Premium Member

said by gjrhine:

said by ztmike:

Limited how? I have a bunch of USB drives on a hub on my Popcorn Hour.
How many is a "bunch" ?

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar to ztmike

Premium Member

to ztmike
I use tversity via my xbox 360 connected via a LAN. It's easy to use and works fine for me. The only problem I have with it is that I haven't figured out a way to play mkvs.

Stem Bolt
Premium Member
Metropolis

Stem Bolt to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran
said by sivran:

The new one not have network? I don't see an rj45 port in the pictures, and it's not mentioned in the article text.
It does. It says it can stream internet media.