dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

randulo
join:2003-01-25

randulo to nitzan

to nitzan

Re: US broadband service is costly and constipated.

said by nitzan:

Like if you're in France you can probably get 20mbps to a French or another European website - but if you try to hit a US-based website you'd get more like 2mbps.
Sorry, not true in France and I doubt it's true in most countries, although I've heard it may be a problem in Australia.

My connection in France is 8 megs max. We all know that translates to about 6 that you can count on most of the time. I download a lot of stuff like iTunes content and I manage servers in the USA. The speeds are not slower for the USA except on servers that can't handle it. Event then they're not less than 4 megs.

Further, most content is now put on edge servers such as Amazon S3 or Cloudburst and the big guys use Akamai. The distance isn't much of an issue these days.
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan

Premium Member

said by randulo:

Sorry, not true in France and I doubt it's true in most countries, although I've heard it may be a problem in Australia.

My connection in France is 8 megs max.
8 mbps is something you can easily get in the US. Yes it costs more - but it's definitely there.

What I'm talking about is countries like Japan where you can get a 100mbit or even 1gigabit FTTH - but when you try to hit up US servers it crawls at 2mbps. Pricing in Japan is about the same as the US - they just give higher speeds which are only really higher *inside Japan*.

randulo
join:2003-01-25

randulo

Ok, I see what you're saying. Most content (say Windows 7 or various big ISO sets or video) will be on edge servers so it should come down quick. Multistream downloaders will make a big difference, too.

However, the real point is that the USA should find a way to provide even the rural population high speed access, 8M is more than enough, at a reasonable price. It would benefit an enormous number of citizens.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to nitzan

Premium Member

to nitzan
said by nitzan:

What I'm talking about is countries like Japan where you can get a 100mbit or even 1gigabit FTTH - but when you try to hit up US servers it crawls at 2mbps. Pricing in Japan is about the same as the US - they just give higher speeds which are only really higher *inside Japan*.
Nitzan, that's exactly what we have been talking about that we have paid more for broadband Internet connections here in the US compared to other countries.