uniqs
share rss forum feed

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

McAfee Security Suite test results

At least one version of this suite (which may or may not be the version that Cox provides) scored extremely poorly (a 3% score) here: »www.matousec.com/projects/proact···ults.php

If the tested version is essentially the Cox-provided one, I might suggest that Cox look into providing something more effective to their subscribers.

olephart0

join:2009-10-02
Lafayette, LA
Depends on what you want it to do. If ya test it against a list of known virus files, it does pretty good. That's because it mostly looks for known signatures and updates the list frequently. It doesn't do well against threats that have not been captured and added to it's list.

The test cited is testing for the ability to detect something harmful based on what it's doing. Ya don't need a list of known problems. That's much harder to do and offers protection against stuff that hasn't made the list of known problems.

The test also checks for other things that McAfee doesn't do well. Like keeping bad files that get in from sending info out and protecting itself from modification or termination. Another pesky area is removing a program completely. Many items "removed" just restart on the next computer boot.

It's wrong for Cox to leave anyone thinking that McAfee is a comprehensive security solution. They are providing a program that scores above 90% on detecting known viruses. The 3% score on this test means that there are other important areas that need serious attention.

It's up to us to learn what these security programs are actually doing and making sure we have the coverage we need. Nothing wrong with using a program similar to McAfee as part of the solution. Nice to get it free.

P.S. Avast does about as good as McAfee on known viruses and is free for everyone.

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to daveinpoway
»www.av-comparatives.org/

i like this site for av reviews

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA
reply to olephart0
The concern I have is not related to those of us on these forums, but involves the average user, who may think that, Wow, they got this security suite from Cox and now they are completely protected.

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to daveinpoway
I run Cox's McAfee Security Suite, But I also run Spybot - Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware by Lavasoft (Free version), I have never had a virus, worm or Trojan of any kind. Of course I do not have children using my computer, and I make the wife's account a limited access account. I also run CCleaner once a week or so.

needforspeed59
Cruise Ship Just Passing Through

join:2001-05-02
La Place, LA
Bryan, that is exactly my setup for keeping my pc's protected. I also use ccleaner to eliminate crap.
--
Great success! High five!

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
reply to daveinpoway
lol. mc afee has always been on the bottom[why do you think they're "giving" it to cox]
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
South Padre Island, TX
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to BryanInPHX
said by BryanInPHX:

I run Cox's McAfee Security Suite, But I also run Spybot - Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware by Lavasoft (Free version), I have never had a virus, worm or Trojan of any kind. Of course I do not have children using my computer, and I make the wife's account a limited access account. I also run CCleaner once a week or so.
FWIW...

In our case we do not run the Cox McAfee Securith Suite. Instead I run Microsoft Security Essentials [MSE] on both my Windows 7 Home Premium laptop and my wifes's XP Pro desktop. Updates and scans are run overnight each night. We both run as standard/limited users. In fact my wife does not even know, or really care, what the admin password is on her machine although she does have access to it in an encrypted database we have on each machine.

I only login as an admin user, to either machine, to do certain maintenance tasks, etc. We also don't have kids routinely using our computers and even then they use a special guest account I have setup on her machine that is also a limited user account.

I also have a dual wireless LAN router and segregate guest wireless machines totally from our regular home LAN. Just another level of protection for us. Guests only have internet access and NO access to anything else.
--
"When all else fails, read the instructions..."
MS-MVP Windows Desktop Experience

olephart0

join:2009-10-02
Lafayette, LA
reply to daveinpoway
I haven't seen anything mentioned, yet, that covers all the basics. I'm thinking ya need to cover the following areas for sure:

Be invisible - A hardware firewall in most any router works.

Avoid known threats - A virus scanner line McAfee, Norton, Avast, etc. does this.

Avoid unknown threats - Online Armor is top rated.

Disallow unknown programs from accessing the internet - Online Armor.

Disallow unknown programs from installing themselves - Online Armor.

Protect it self from attack - Online Armour. Substitute any top rated program in the OP's link for Online Armour.

Prevent and/or remove spyware - Super Anti Spyware.

After that, your choice of browser, administrative provisions wireless settings and encryption should be considered.

I mentioned specific products because I know each is top rated and they work with low overhead and don't conflict with each other. There are several other products in each category they work equally well.

The only single product that covers most areas extremely well is Kaspersky. It probably needs to be supplemented with a good spyware program and a router.

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA
reply to dvd536
I doubt that McAfee is "giving" their suite to Cox. More likely, Cox has negotiated a good price by purchasing a license for a large number of users all at once.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
said by daveinpoway:

I doubt that McAfee is "giving" their suite to Cox. More likely, Cox has negotiated a good price by purchasing a license for a large number of users all at once.
uhmmm what i don't understand is why they don't go with a better solution that has better results like norton or kaspersky if they're paying for it. better protection would better protect their network meaning less bandwidth wasted via zombies and bots. this is probably why comcast changed to norton for their subs[its in the companies best interest]
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
Better technology isn't a factor, any more than it is when you buy a PC for example. The driver is the deal that's been struck between the AV company and the other entity. Dell will install any damned thing on your new Inspiron if the software maker makes it worthwhile ... to the point of demanding AV companies pay them to be included in the standard build.

If the average Joe sees value in a security program, it's (perceived to be) free, has few support headaches and Cox gets it for cheap in exchange for co-marketing, why would they spend more for Symantec?

If, on the other hand, Symantec gave Cox the same deal as McAfee is on a light version of their suite plus a kick-back for every customer who upgraded to a full, paid version, I'm sure Cox would be open to switching (assuming McAfee doesn't already do that). Someone with a less recognized name would have to come up with an even sweeter deal since the perceived value to the customer would be less.

relaxed137

join:2010-03-13
Litchfield Park, AZ
One of the things that any new Mcafee suite has - assuming its turned on - is Artemis Technology. This allows Mcafee to quickly detect new threats that show up throughout the internet connected world. As soon as Mcafee 'Cloud' of Artemis servers catch some new virus and it's reported to Artemis, everyone running it can benefit!

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
All of the major AV players use their installed base as an early warning system. Not a new thing. Some companies go one further, using behavioral recognition technology to try to flag bad stuff before it's known. "Malware usually acts like this, so I'm going to assume this is bad and respond accordingly."

Hypothetically, this makes you less susceptible to zero-day exploits.