spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BB_Hunter

join:2008-05-16

Quick question?

I've seen some mention about 3G and this. Do I have to live in a 3G area to use one of these? I understand it uses your home broadband connection but I saw something along the lines of you needed to be in a 3G area to use it for some reason. Just curious if I'll still be able to get one even though I don't have any At&t 3G at home?

Telco_Tech

join:2009-05-18
Toledo, OH
said by BB_Hunter:

I understand it uses your home broadband connection but I saw something along the lines of you needed to be in a 3G area to use it for some reason. Just curious if I'll still be able to get one even though I don't have any At&t 3G at home?
Makes sense. The carrier, in this case AT&T, has to be licensed in your area in order to broadcast in the radio spectrum their 3G service utilizes. Of course there are ways around that (GPS spoofing) but I wouldn't be surprised if a stock unit disables 3G in an area where they don't hold a spectrum license.

- Tate

--
It's time to let go of TDM people. If it's not IP-based, it's crap!

jtludwig3

join:2006-11-22
Colorado Springs, CO
It makes NO SENSE! As long as they have a license in the area they are cleared for 3G or GSM/EDGE. 3G is used on the same frequencies as GSM/EDGE. The Microcell will work in any area that AT&T offers native service, whether or not it is 3G or GSM/EDGE.

jtludwig

@comcast.net
reply to Telco_Tech
It makes NO SENSE! As long as they have a license in the area they are cleared for 3G or GSM/EDGE. 3G is used on the same frequencies as GSM/EDGE. The Microcell will work in any area that AT&T offers native service, whether or not it is 3G or GSM/EDGE.

BB_Hunter

join:2008-05-16
reply to jtludwig3
said by jtludwig3:

Well I guess I was getting confused because of the whole term "3G Microcell". In other words it shouldn't matter that I'm in an edge only area. It will just connect and display signal strength listed as Microcell 3G on my phone instead of At&t Edge.

Also I was reading that it requires a 1.5Mbps down connection with 256Kbps up for this? What on earth does it need that much bandwidth to work? Or is that just a dummy recommendation? I would think the latency would be much more important than overall speed.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Dummy recommendation. 100 kbps down available per conversation is the maximum that could be needed. You're right, low latency/jitter is needed.

It's cool, I'm takin it back
Premium
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX
reply to BB_Hunter
The 3G MicroCell only radiates a 3G signal, so the device will either work or it won't. It doesn't have a 2G radio in it.

As long as you are in an AT&T licensed area that has been activated, this device will work. Whether you have macro network 3G coverage or not.
--
"To be sincere, you don't have to know anything, you just say whatever makes you feel good and spin and smug circles in your tiny fucked up little head, happy as long as you're true to yourself. In other words, Sincerity is bullshit!" -Penn Jillette