how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1

Optimum cell/mobile/wireless service coming?

Just got a survey for their proposed new service. They were asking about names and stuff. This was the good part.

Optimum is considering launching a new cellular phone service that will provide the most technologically advanced voice and data service available in the market today. This service will provide unlimited calling, texting and internet data access - all for one low monthly fee of $29.95 / month.

The service will provide the coverage and reliability you expect as well as a variety of smart phone choices that offer features comparable to those offered by iPhone, Android and Blackberry. Optimum’s new phone service will use innovative technology that allows it to seamlessly work over both wifi and cellular networks, utilizing a state-of-the-art, dual mode smart phone. This service will work within your home over a wireless router connected to Optimum Online and outside your home utilizing Optimum WiFi or any wifi connection as well as over a reliable cellular network when wifi is not available.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
If it works as designed, it could be a game changer if it's priced at $29.95 per month.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

1 edit
reply to RemyM
How long before Verizon files a bogus law suit or several bogus law suits to stall this?

sign me up for the quadruple play

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
The fact that this would work in your house over a wireless router means you wouldn't need Optimum Voice.

DaBx

join:2008-04-22
reply to RemyM
Im down for this. I just hope they could get some top of the line smartphones.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to RemyM
said by RemyM:

The fact that this would work in your house over a wireless router means you wouldn't need Optimum Voice.
they may charge you 49.95 if you dont have OV?

handydave

join:2000-12-14
Totowa, NJ
reply to RemyM
Does Cablevision own a Wireless Spectrum to create this offering? Maybe they will partner with Clearwire since TW and Comcast already do?

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
reply to RemyM
This is probably the reason for the partnership with time warner and comcast. Then you partner up with sprint for the cell portion.

csmcdem

join:2009-01-11
Marlboro, NJ
reply to RemyM
I got this survey too, really hope this happens.

But most importantly I hope they get awesome phones, Android to be more specific .

They did say they were thinking about Android, Blackberry's, and iPhones...

cvtek

@cablevision.com
reply to RemyM
said by RemyM:

Everyone uses/has cellphones but people still have OV. This service is going to be a cellphone service that also uses wifi when available.

I personally don't know why people still have landlines nowadays. Most families have multiple cell phones in the house at any time.

cvtek

@cablevision.com
reply to csmcdem
said by csmcdem:

I got this survey too, really hope this happens.

But most importantly I hope they get awesome phones, Android to be more specific .

They did say they were thinking about Android, Blackberry's, and iPhones...
It would be best to use phones that have good internet capabilities. Will we be able to surf the web AND talk on the phone at the same time.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
reply to cvtek
said by cvtek :

said by RemyM:

Everyone uses/has cellphones but people still have OV. This service is going to be a cellphone service that also uses wifi when available.

I personally don't know why people still have landlines nowadays. Most families have multiple cell phones in the house at any time.
The only reason why i have OV is because when I called to cancel OV cablevision offered me the tripple play plan for 2 years if I kept it. Which was cheaper then if I got rid of it.

I called to cancel ov because my tripple play expired so they offered me another 2 years of it to keep ov.

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
I'm thinking the pricing for this would be an additional $29.99 on top of the OV pricing and that would let you use your same number on a mobile device. If that's the case, I'd have to say that would be a pretty neat feature.

Just lets hope that their phones do a better job than the iPhone when it comes to falling back from Wifi to 3G/EDGE when the Wifi signal drops. Not to mention they need to figure out a way to allow calls to seamlessly hand themselves off from Wifi to Cellular without dropping the call.

Icynav

join:2005-10-31
Deer Park, NY
reply to cvtek
You must live next to a cell tower lol. I love and will continue to have a landline until I do not drop a single cell phone call and the voice quality sounds just as good.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to RemyM
don't mean to burst your bubble, but i took the same CV survey ~2 years ago
i think they are just continually testing waters to see market reaction.
--
Check out my awesome city of MxxTopia »mxxtopia.myminicity.com/ind or »mxxtopia.myminicity.com (the more people visit, the bigger it is)

sandman9r
Premium
join:2003-11-09
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·Optimum Online
reply to RemyM
I agree with MxxCon. This survey comes along every six months or so. However, this latest one was more specific about their actual plans so I'm being [pun] optimistic.

As one of the few people who still uses prepaid cards and minutes, this service, if launched, would certainly be very enticing.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to RemyM
I've seen a few of those surveys too. The only reason I think this might actually be coming close is that they are really working to integrate wifi access with other cable operators. Seems logical that they'd want to beef that up leading up to an announcement of this nature.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
They have also mentioned they are testing it in the recent quarterly conference call.

»wifinetnews.com/archives/2010/02···one.html

»www.cedmagazine.com/News-Cablevi···610.aspx
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

YellowDart

join:2003-07-09
world
reply to RemyM
Cablevision was going to offer Cellular service many years ago when it had a large stake in Northcoast PCS. It was supposed to launch in New York, Boston and many other cities.

CV actually owned the spectrum that was to used but was forced to sell to Verizon because CV had serious economic woes. (This was around the same time CV was forced to sell Bravo in order to raise cash).

I imagine this is when CV was surveying its customers before. I bet for this iteration of cell phone service CV will be a MVNO probably using the Sprint network.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

1 edit
reply to RemyM
I guess you didn't read the confidentiality agreement that you clicked through. Real rocket science work, blabbing on about about it!

PS: It's old news anyway, since CV already tried this before. It didn't get off the ground then.

mark45057

join:2003-05-13
Brooklyn, NY
reply to RemyM
Wow, at that price point I don't know why people aren't taking advantage of it. That's basically the SERO plan from Sprint, except it is opened to everyone, no hassle needed.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
when i get buried, there will be a sign on my gravestone saying "had SERO until he died"

but seriously, if it's going to be MVNO, it won't be with VZ since they are arch-enemies.
it won't be with ATT since they are enemies too and i don't think there are even MVNOs on ATT's network.
although perhaps they could piggy-back on MetroPCS' service, they have NYC and area covered.
--
Check out my awesome city of MxxTopia »mxxtopia.myminicity.com/ind or »mxxtopia.myminicity.com (the more people visit, the bigger it is)

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
Then it will be useless in Dutchess County. Practically the only CV wifi access points are outside every school in their coverage area, and one in front to Walmart and the mall. Not where people live. And there's no Sprint coverage here, except if maybe you hang out a window on one foot. Metro hasn't come here, and doesn't show it on there coming soon area either.

xirian
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY
said by momcat1:

Then it will be useless in Dutchess County. Practically the only CV wifi access points are outside every school in their coverage area, and one in front to Walmart and the mall. Not where people live. And there's no Sprint coverage here, except if maybe you hang out a window on one foot. Metro hasn't come here, and doesn't show it on there coming soon area either.
Not true, I get it popping up all over fishkill, 9d, and route 9. And Sprint coverage was perfect for me when I had it before the iphone, much better than ATT, and still is fine for both my sisters.

phantom9000

join:2010-01-19
Edison, NJ
reply to RemyM
i hope this is true i am sick of att and there horrible service

Icynav

join:2005-10-31
Deer Park, NY
reply to RemyM
»The Birth Of A New Wireless Broadband Competitor?

From the front page of todays news "The Birth of a new wireless broadband competitor" hmmmm

blackriders

join:2005-01-16
Bronx, NY

2 edits
reply to RemyM
If it's 29.95 per line i'll gladly ditch tmobile. AS long as the phones come with a sim card.

I don't want to be stuck with only the phones cablevision provides

I figure it'll prob be wimax, prob partnering up with the other big cable companies like comcast, time warner to provide network coverage in most areas.

Edit, doubt it'll happen. But if they really wanted to screw with the telco companies, ie at&t and verizon, they would go data only and voice via google voice.

I think that'll drive at&t and verizon to do some price matching.

bobhirst

join:2004-06-16
Massapequa, NY
reply to RemyM
Interesting! They've had some relationships in the past with Sprint. I've got one of their femtocells in the house right now because my signal is sorta iffy. What if they put all of that into a package?????