Search similar:

uniqs
Drumtrip88
Get Ready To Fly
join:2009-11-23
Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

Drumtrip88

NJ- Ch.986 added for Masters in 3D

Noticed today, that Comcast has added ch.986 to the guide for the Masters in 3D. The program description says the following: "From April 7-11, Comcast presents the Masters in 3D. HD cable box, 3D TV, HDMI cable and 3D glasses required to view. More details at comcast.com/3D." Right now, the channel is currently showing the placard that the Redzone channel shows when there is no programming.

gwilliam
join:2010-03-20

gwilliam

Got this channel today this morning.
Mgsports
join:2004-11-11
Olathe, KS

Mgsports to Drumtrip88

to Drumtrip88
That page Not Found.

pjsbar
@comcast.net

pjsbar to Drumtrip88

Anon

to Drumtrip88
Same thing on Comcast of Garden State, NJ (SA/Cisco)
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q to Mgsports

to Mgsports
said by Mgsports:

That page Not Found.
working now

»www.comcast.com/3d/

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to Drumtrip88

MVM

to Drumtrip88
Here Ch 986 is Entertainment on Demand. It takes you to an On Demand window with:
ARC: A&R Channel
TV Exclusives
Featured Clips
Comcast Guy
join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy

said by cypherstream:

Here Ch 986 is Entertainment on Demand. It takes you to an On Demand window with:
ARC: A&R Channel
TV Exclusives
Featured Clips
It will change come Masters time.

CCGeorge
Comcast Corporate Office
Premium Member
join:2008-11-07
Philadelphia, PA

CCGeorge to Drumtrip88

Premium Member

to Drumtrip88
said by Drumtrip88:

Noticed today, that Comcast has added ch.986 to the guide for the Masters in 3D. The program description says the following: "From April 7-11, Comcast presents the Masters in 3D. HD cable box, 3D TV, HDMI cable and 3D glasses required to view. More details at comcast.com/3D." Right now, the channel is currently showing the placard that the Redzone channel shows when there is no programming.
We will have this corrected soon.

Thank you,

George Lunski

Comcast Corporate Office

George_Lunski@Comcast.Com
Mgsports
join:2004-11-11
Olathe, KS

Mgsports to Drumtrip88

to Drumtrip88
How for Olathe/MO what Channel and also Florida because doesn't say at Information page about 3D on Comcast just the what Channel Number it would on and some of the Cities but not all.
Expand your moderator at work

heat84
DSLR Influencer
join:2004-03-11
Delray Beach, FL

heat84 to Drumtrip88

to Drumtrip88

Re: NJ- Ch.986 added for Masters in 3D

986 is Help & Services On Demand in my area. My system is getting WOM and A28 this week(Tuesday and Wednesday respectively). Maybe they're waiting 'til after that to add it here?

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to Drumtrip88

to Drumtrip88
why can't they just hand out 3d glasses instead of making people buy 3dtvs? I mean there have been movies before in 3d where you just got a pair of glasses to watch them.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

cypherstream

MVM

Because they are trying out new techology for real 3D TV's. The 3D glasses in the past were poor quality with distored red and blue colors. Many people would get headaches from that. Plus the whole room looks weird.

The new technology doesn't alter the color at all, but a new TV that can support the LCD shutter glasses is required. The new TV will see the 960x1080 side by side picture, and stretch it to 1920x1080, alternating each side really fast, triggering the glasses on the same timing, so that each eye only see's the proper channel of video. The TV timing to the LCD glasses shutter is by IR or Bluetooth. These glasses are expensive because of the active shutter technology, timing and high quality LCD with fast rate of rise/fall (open/close) time and decay. A 240 Hz TV flickering an eye per cycle would net 120 Hz per eye. If the LCD in the glasses is of cheap quality, it would not fully turn opaque or transparent in that short of a time span, resulting in ghosting - where images meant for the other eye bleeds through. So far the Samsung glasses are about $150 a pair. The 55" TV is around $2900 at best buy which is full HD, 240 Hz, 3,000,000:1 Contrast with LED back-lighting and Samsung's internet connected TV features. It also has a video processor to simulate 3D from 2D sources.

While expensive now, considering the other specs of the TV, the 3D feature does not add all too much to the price (except when it comes to purchasing glasses). As time goes on and the technology evolves, many TV's sold will have 3D capability in it going forward.

Here's how the first 3D broadcast went for Cablevision subscribers on Channel 1300:
»www.engadget.com/2010/03 ··· night-w/
cypherstream

2 edits

cypherstream to Drumtrip88

MVM

to Drumtrip88

As seen on regular HDTV with guide overlay up

As seen on 3D HDTV (without glasses) with guide overlay up.

A proper pre 3D processed side by side transmisison with compensated overlay.

As seen on 3DTV through glasses - non compensated ITV widget (callerid)
If you wonder what the OSD elements may look like, here goes my quick photoshop.

I just took the iGuide flip bar graphic from Comcast's site, hence the "Adventure Camp" on Discovery SD.

But since the TV will sense the Side by Side 3D transmission in the 1920x1080 frame compatible 3D, it will stretch each side to fit the screen and alternate each side on tight timing that is also sent to the glasses.

I know, you might be thinking that's disgusting to stretch a 960 image horizontally to 1920. Well when the brain interprets the 3D, the depth makes up for the loss in resolution.

What will end up happening in the future, a guide update where iGuide (or whatever the future guides are called); will detect the 3D signal. Then they will squish up just right on each side by side frame, so when the TV expands it, the UI elements line up and are legible.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to Drumtrip88

to Drumtrip88
until most people can afford or need a 3dtv, will those of us with hd or sd tvs be able to use 3d glasses to experience 3d?

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by mikedz4:

until most people can afford or need a 3dtv, will those of us with hd or sd tvs be able to use 3d glasses to experience 3d?
No, because it's not produced in anaglyph 3D. Different processing must be applied to the video to make it look like this:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An ··· ph_image

heat84
DSLR Influencer
Delray Beach, FL

1 edit

heat84 to Drumtrip88

to Drumtrip88
Oh yeah, people losing jobs left and right and they're gonna go out and buy a new tv and expensive 3d glasses just to get a slightly better picture.

And don't try to post some link demonstrating the difference between 3D and HD. Since my monitor isn't 3D, it won't mean anything. It reminds me of the first HDTV commercials when most people didn't have them yet. They tried to show how an HD picture looked better than an SD picture IN AN SD AD, ON AN SD TV. That defies all logic. Not to mention the sneaky bastards omitted the price of the TV's from the ads which was 5 to 10,000 dollars at the time I think.

So how many people are expected to watch this? 50? There's probably 10 people in the whole world that have a 3DTV.

What really bothers me is that people are still settling in to HDTV and now they're pushing this. I know technology is evolving faster and faster, but this is ridiculous. I just don't think 3DTV is gonna take off. Not yet anyway. People still wanna get their money's worth out their HDTV's. Or maybe I'm one of the few financially responsible people left on the planet.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Well it's not just Comcast pushing it.

ESPN3D launches in June:
»www.engadget.com/2010/01 ··· tball-t/

DirecTV will have ESPN 3D at launch right next to it's own N3D network.
»hd.engadget.com/2010/03/ ··· channel/

Cablevision already did a hockey event in 3D (Rangers won), and it had good reviews:
»www.engadget.com/2010/03 ··· night-w/

Verizon is heavily interested in broadcasting 3D content:
»www.televisionbroadcast. ··· le/97434

PS3 is getting 3D update in it's summer firmware:
»www.engadget.com/2010/02 ··· -summer/

So these providers are just keeping up with each other at this point. No one wants the same debacle that HD did, where one provider can point the finger and say (I have more HD than you!).

Of course no one is forcing anyone to go 3D. It's a niche market at this time, but everything s gotta start somewhere. Glasses-less 3D displays are possible and are being refined. Maybe at that point we'll see more adaption.
Comcast Guy
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy to heat84

to heat84
There is a ton of interest in 3-D right now. My Best Buys are moving 3-D TVs left and right. Comcast is showing one of the biggest sporting events of the year in 3-D and people have a problem with it?

Travelfan1
RIP Analog Go Digital
join:2005-08-23
Woodbridge, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

Travelfan1

said by Comcast Guy:

There is a ton of interest in 3-D right now. My Best Buys are moving 3-D TVs left and right. Comcast is showing one of the biggest sporting events of the year in 3-D and people have a problem with it?
I agree with Comcast Guy 100%. People used to complain that Comcast was behind the tech curve, if you will. Now that Comcast is stealing Directv's thunder, people complain that Comcast should instead do other things? Give me a break...

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to Drumtrip88

to Drumtrip88
90% of the people in the world don't have a 3dtv. Plus 3dtvs are only in 60" plus models right now. I don't want a 60" model for my bedroom. I'd be happy with a 27" tv in my room because right now I have a 19" 720p hdtv and it doesn't begin to do hdtv justice.
Plus the 3dtvs only have 3 models currently and they run 3000 to 4000.
Now if they could make these 3d channels work so that people could bring out their old 3d glasses and watch them then I am all for it.
Comcast Guy
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy

The Panasonic I saw demoed was 42". Was only $2300. Also, it does 1080.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

1 edit

cypherstream to Travelfan1

MVM

to Travelfan1
said by Travelfan1:

people complain that Comcast should instead do other things? Give me a break...
I know. This 3DTV is a new hot technology. Why not be innovative and get on the ball.

And amongst the other things Comcast should be doing... well...
More HD Channels (Already happening through Calvary)
Faster Internet Speeds (Already happening through DOCSIS 3.0)
More hard drive space on the DVR's (DCX3400 doubles the space to 320GB)
Caller ID on the TV (Check)
Set the DVR from the web or IPhone (Check)

What's missing? The dang HD UI for the on screen guide. BUT the Guideworks team is a completely separate division from the 3D implementation team. Now Guideworks might be given the go ahead to add code that detects the Side by Side 3D signal, and display it's UI in a Side by Side doubled format, so that a 3DTV will expand it legibly. Also to compensate for LCD shutter glasses, they could brighten it up slightly when on a 3D Channel. Other than that, that should not do anything else to the current pipeline of upcoming guide improvements (Aspen, Barcelona, and Beyond).

What more can you ask for from a provider? Super fast internet, tons of HD channels and Video on Demand, convenient bundled pricing, remote DVR programming, 3DTV, etc.. All we really need is more Gen-Y friendly "Fios" like ITV / UI enhancements on the TV screen and Multi Room DVR. That's IT. Heck, be ahead of Fios and turn on the eSATA ports on the DVR's. Pretty much, they jump on that next, and Comcast has the potential to be freaking awesome... and their already on the road to getting there.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

2 edits

mikedz4 to Drumtrip88

to Drumtrip88
I heard widgets from comcast will be coming in fall or early next year. I'm not sure how true that is but I saw it somewhere before.
»www.cedmagazine.com/Comc ··· ets.aspx
»www.multichannel.com/art ··· Year.php
According to multichannel they will have interactivity with up to 50 channels by christmas.

heat84
DSLR Influencer
Delray Beach, FL

1 edit

heat84 to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Well it's not just Comcast pushing it.
I didn't mean Comcast. I meant the creator(s) of 3DTV. I think it will be a niche market, like projection TV's were.
Drumtrip88
Get Ready To Fly
join:2009-11-23
Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

1 edit

Drumtrip88

Nevermind. Saw someone already posted the link to the comcast 3d website.

SKORPI0
join:2001-01-10
Orland Park, IL

SKORPI0 to heat84

to heat84
said by heat84:

What really bothers me is that people are still settling in to HDTV and now they're pushing this
HDTV broadcasting became widely available in 2003 IIRC, it's time for something new. Nobody's forcing you to buy 3DTVs. Like any new technology, prices will come down in a few years. It's like a chicken and the egg thing. Buying a TVs is moot without the signals and transmitting the signals is useless without TVs. I think Comcast is right in spearheading into this. I wonder if there will be compatibility wars like Betamax/VHS, HD-DVD/Blue-ray days.