join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

Looks like y'all are gonna get DTAs

»imagine.suddenlink.com zip code 79401 (Lubbock)

In exchange for some more HD channels, faster internet (20 Mbps and 36 Mbps with capacity-based speed boosts) and such, it looks like SL is doing what Comcast has done in some markets: move everything except broadcast basic cable to digital. So DTAs will be required (they're calling them DigitalLinks) to get most channels.

The cool thing is that they're giving away DigitalLinks (no upfront fee, no monthly fee) to whoever wants them in the affected areas, which will eventually be everywhere I'm guessing. The DTAs don't have VOD or HD, but they *are* free, which is a LOT cheaper than a standard digital box. Also, if you have a digital-ready TV (QAM tuner) you can just scan for the new channels and be online. Channel numbers will likely be different than with the DTA/STB but that way there's no box required, and you can get OTA-equivalent HD.

Looks like about 40 channels will be switching from analog to digital with the transition, which translates to ~240 MHz of freed-up spectrum, a sizeable chunk of Suddenlink's plan, which I think varies between 750 and 1000 MHz in their "Project Imagine" areas. Of course SL will have to use a few channels to put back standard-def programming, but if you figure that ten channels per QAM is possible (and it is) you end up with 35 or so QAMs free. Dedicate five of them to DOCSIS 3 and a few more to VOD and voice, and you get 25+ QAMs where you can put HD and SD channels. That's a good thing when you're competing against U-Verse (channel count is unlimited though simultaneous channels is) and D*/E*.

Not quite sure where Suddenlink is getting their 200 HD channel count from...maybe they're also grooming plant up from 750MHz or 860MHz to 1GHz in these areas as well...but the free DTAs is a nice touch.

What do y'all think, since I don't actually have to put up with whatever SL does (I'll probably never live in a Suddenlink area).

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

Apparently Huawei is the manufacturer of the DTAs, which also apparently are going live in Big Spring, TX (79720 zip code...in some cases the Imagine qualifier will say that the service is coming but offer no info or ETA). The model number of the DTA is DC730. See here for a little more info:

»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable

Guess that means SL's cable system is built on Motorola rather than Cisco.

longgone

join:2000-12-30
Culloden, WV

1 edit

said by iansltx:

Apparently Huawei is the manufacturer of the DTAs, which also apparently are going live in Big Spring, TX (79720 zip code...in some cases the Imagine qualifier will say that the service is coming but offer no info or ETA). The model number of the DTA is DC730. See here for a little more info:

»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable

Guess that means SL's cable system is built on Motorola rather than Cisco.
Thanks once again for your continuing tech information.

Guess the couple of comments posted over at that link are meant to be also slightly humorous.

The mention of following along with DTAs similar to the mighty Comcast, then hope Suddenlink does not follow to the letter and exactly adopt all of Comcast policies.

iansltx

Austin, TX

Actually IMO Comcast is VERY good from a technical perspective. They're just about 40% more expensive than I'd like

longgone

join:2000-12-30
Culloden, WV

said by iansltx:

Actually IMO Comcast is VERY good from a technical perspective. They're just about 40% more expensive than I'd like
Totally agree and was not referring to Comcast technical perspective, but was referring about hoping that Suddenlink does not follow with similar policies that may have brought Comcast some FCC attention, and not following Comcast establishment of measuring, Caps and further possible restrictions.

Again thanks for all your very informative posts.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

No problem

Personally, I have no problem with a data meter, but that's just me. Heck, I don't have a huge problem with Comcast's implementation of caps...just think that business class connectivity should be cheaper on the install side. I wouldn't, however, want Suddenlink to do a similar system with their current business tier pricing

Araiden

join:2008-04-12

Suddenlink is already using the dta's here in cabot arkansas. As long as the wiring in your house is good, then you won't have to much of an issue. One of the biggest issues is that they don't save your volume settings. So you will have to end up setting your tv volume up half way and controlling the volume from the box. It also has a guide, it is not selectable like it is with a dct or a dvr but it shows what your currently watching and the next show that is coming on. My guess is that they will make the expanded service digital and keep the limited service analog as a lifeline. Right now it looks like the 860mhz systems are running somewhere around 50 hd channels, not including the ones that are vod. So if you dedicated 30 channels soley to that you could add another 60. Which seriously should be enough for now, c - span hd? UGghhhh

iansltx

Austin, TX

3:1 HD is usually what happens on cable. So 90 HD channels.

Araiden

In the 2 different sl systems that I have lived in they are stacking 2 high def channels and one standard def channel.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

Interesting...is HD quality as good as OTA? Sounds like it should be at that rate. Comcast/TWC are much more aggressive about channel stacking per QAM; that's where I got the three HD per QAM figure. I hear those operators pack 8-12 SD channels into a QAM as well.

Araiden

I believe suddenlink stacks 7 - 10 standard definition carriers into a 256 qam channel. I'm sure if your real careful about what channels you put on the same qam your ok. The systems I am familiar with just like to play it safe with the hd channels so that they don't run into issues. It might not be the same in every area of suddenlink. Btw what is OTA :P?

iansltx

Austin, TX

Over The Air (ATSC)

Araiden

Ok thanks I had never heard of that before. Just out of curiosity where does your knowledge of cable systems come from?

iansltx

Austin, TX

Reading way too much about them

Araiden

Well i won't say where my knowledge comes from

iansltx

Austin, TX

Industry?

Araiden

1 edit

Yep, cable industry .

c47v3770

join:2009-08-06
Houston, TX
reply to iansltx

Say I call suddenlink and order StarzHD. Do they just "unlock" or send that frequency to my house? Are HD channels filtered by a regular cable tv filter?

I just want to know how it works..

Araiden

Most frequencies are being sent to your house. An exception would be people who are trapped for internet only, or trapped for limited service only, and in some areas certain channels are trapped out. Like showtime and hbo if their still provided in analog. Hd channels are not trapped out by a filter. Most places the local hd channels are provided for free. The other hd channels would be encrypted you would need a dvr to be able to pick those up. They would simply send a message to your box letting it know to allow you to receive that channel.

c47v3770

join:2009-08-06
Houston, TX

Oh I see.
Thanks Araiden..