spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hatfieldfios

join:2005-03-18
Hatfield, PA

Non Vonage Users and incoming calls (Non-working number)

I have had Vonage for about 10 days now and everything was working fine(outgoing and incoing) until about 2 days ago. I received an email that my number has been ported and number transfer from my previous service is complete and my status in online account shows "Completed LNP Transfer" as well. I then called my previous service provider to pay any outstanding charges I had on account since Vonage port closed out the account. After paying the final bill with my previous service provider I am having this following issue.

Anyone who does not have Vonage and trying to call my number is getting message "The number you have dialed is not a working number. Please check the number and dial again.". On my end I have the dialtone, I can make outgoing calls without any problems. I have also opened up a ticket and its been opened since 2 days now and no resolution yet.

I just wanted to share this experience with anyone that may run into this issue in future or if anyone is looking to see what types of issues they may have when they sign-up for Vonage. This is especially important to know if you dont have a alternative way for someone to reach you such as cell, work etc(which I do) so I am still fine with the issue, but for others it may not be and their loved ones would worry about them, ofcourse.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
This is not just a Vonage issue.

Rather, it is an issue for Voip in general.

When you port a number (to Vonage or any other Voip provider, or to a CLEC such as PAETEC) various phone companies have to update their Routing Tables.

Sounds like your number was ported on a Thursday or Friday.

Give it a couple of business days yet!

AND---

If Joe who has a Verizon landline can't reach you, then ask Joe to call Verizon and let them know. He should absolutely NOT mention Vonage or Voip, just tell Verizon that he can't get you!

If Sally has ATT Wireless and can't get you, then ask Sally to call ATT Wireless. Same deal, play dumb.

If Fredo has phone service from Comcast, then ask Fredo to call Comcast and tell them. Same deal, play dumb.

That's how it's done.

--------------------------------

Come join us in the main Voip forum!

»VOIP Tech Chat

hatfieldfios

Hatfield, PA
Doesnt sound like a very friendly way to resolve the problem but if thats the way, will have to deal with it and also will be more of a FYI for new customers trying to switch to Vonage or VOIP provider I guess...time to call my friends to ask them to call their service providers...

RokHed

join:2000-09-09
Pennsville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to hatfieldfios
Its no big deal and will clear in a day or 2. I had same issue. As stated before it sometimes takes a couple days to complete a port even if ya got the notice it was completed. What I did was go to my vonage dashboard and just forward to my cell for a couple days so i didnt miss any calls. In my case they ported me on Friday and it was all resolved by tues. good luck

hatfieldfios

Hatfield, PA
@RokHed, The call forward option to cell from vonage dashboard that you mentioned will not work in this situation since its a problem with routing and provider databases need to be updated in this case its Level 3. The calls to my number from non-Vonage users are not even hitting my number and I dont see any incoming calls in my call logs either.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to hatfieldfios
Probably by tomorrow or the day after, it will be looking better.

By then either all of the various companies will have updated their Routing Tables, or most of them will have, anyhow.

Thus, even if you have to chase down another provider (such as Verizon, Verizon Wireless, AT&T, etc....) it will only be one or two companies, rather than several.

This of course assumes that this is all due to normal delays (especially relating to a weekend port), rather than being due to some error on the part of Vonage.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to hatfieldfios
Listen to the others ... they are correct. Vonage to Vonage calls do not go through the landline (PSTN) phone system ... they go directly from one to the other through Vonage's servers. That is why they connect immediately upon completion of a port.

On the other hand, any other callers (PSTN, Cellular, non-Vonage VoIP) must go through "look-up" tables called Routing Tables in order to reach you. These nationwide tables are maintained by several different telecommunications companies. When a Verizon landline customer or ATT Mobile cellular customer calls your Vonage number their provider must determine where to direct the call. So their provider queries its Routing Table and sends the call to the route/number shown in that table. Different providers (e.g., Verizon, ATT, Qwest, Sprint, etc.) may use different routing tables ... so you may find that Verizon callers can reach your number in a few days while Sprint callers may take a bit longer.

Vonage ... and any receiving VoIP provider and their CLECs that supply phone numbers to these providers ... cannot fix the problem since they have no say in when Routing Tables are updated.

Reality may suck ... but the recommendations given above are correct. If your friend gets a message "The number is not in service" when calling you from his cell phone or home landline, it is up to him to call his provider and register a complaint.

I had such a problem a few years back. I had ported a newly released phone number from a VoIP provider to an ATT cell phone. Within a few days, just about any caller could reach me ... except my brother and other friends in Southeastern Florida who were calling from Verizon Wireless cell phones. They simply could not reach my number ... although calling from their landlines (or non-Verizon cell phones) connected properly. My brother had to call Verizon Wireless three times over a two week period to get the situation corrected. In fact, I actually received a call to my cell phone from a Verizon rep in Florida to confirm that my number existed.

So be patient ... and if a problem remains, it is very simple for your calling party to call their customer service to get the problem corrected.

WARNING: If your contacts do need to call their providers, make sure they DO NOT SAY THE WORD "VoIP" since that tends to confuse non-VoIP carriers' customer reps who never heard of VoIP. Just have your friends tell them they can't reach the number and they know it is in service.

hatfieldfios

Hatfield, PA
Just to add that the responses and service level you get from their technical support department is very bad...