uniqs
share rss forum feed

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA

Massillion, OH- Cable Deposit

My brother finally moved into Massillion and when he called to set up having cable installed, he was told since he has never had Massillion Cable TV that he would have to pay a deposit. fine he thought, but when he asked how much it would be, he was told 415$ and that he would not be able to get that deposit back until he was no longer with Massillion Cable TV (who happens to be the only cable tv provider for Massillion, OH. So, needless to say he isn't getting cable anytime soon. I have been trying to talk him into getting Dish tv, but he isn't interested. I just wanted to vent for him I guess

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1

said by ebgbjo:

My brother finally moved into Massillion and when he called to set up having cable installed, he was told since he has never had Massillion Cable TV that he would have to pay a deposit. fine he thought, but when he asked how much it would be, he was told 415$ and that he would not be able to get that deposit back until he was no longer with Massillion Cable TV (who happens to be the only cable tv provider for Massillion, OH. So, needless to say he isn't getting cable anytime soon. I have been trying to talk him into getting Dish tv, but he isn't interested. I just wanted to vent for him I guess
Am I missing something? Or is there more to the story?

$415 is excessive. Was he asking for all kinds of equipment? Did that include the installation costs and a couple of months service?

When I worked for Mediacom, IIRC we charged a $500 deposit, but it was only on Motorola DVR's if you had very poor credit.

If your brother is getting a bunch of services (TV, Internet, HD, DVR), usually you have to pay two months of service up front, plus installation costs. Throw a deposit on top of there and you can easily to the $415 mark.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA

nope.. the 415$ deposit is just to have basic cable installed and does not include the first month of service. I think it is extremely excessive too. I guess they can get away with it since they are the only cable provider in town though

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Somerset, NJ
reply to ebgbjo

Wow, that is nuts. I've had cable with Time Warner, Bresnan, Cox and Comcast and have never had to make a deposit to get service.
--
Whats smells like blue?

Feramors

join:2010-05-07
Saint Louis, MO
reply to ebgbjo

Yipe!

That's crazy talk.

Does he have insanely bad credit or something?