Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

Found Yer Problem...

Click for full size
Click for full size
Somebody dropped a 1 ton truck on your cable!

An issue we had a while back - city crew was investigating a leaking watermain... Pulled up on the sidewalk, and boom. Turns out the water leak had completely erroded the fill under the sidewalk, and the truck went straight through.

Crush damage to several ducts, surprisingly minor damage to the fibres themselves. I believe we had to replace a 48 strand in the top duct; the 288 and 96's (in lower ducts within the bank) were OK.

Can't find any pics of the duct bank after the truck was lifted out, and the concrete removed (although I wish I had some video - the 'hoe operator had the hands of a surgeon - he was GOOD!) - but these still make for a good "Oh, wow!" moment...
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck

Premium Member

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Pulled up on the sidewalk, and boom.
Drive by inspection gone wrong.
Actually it wasn't a smart move for the crew to get that close to such a thing, it is hard to tell how much earth would have been flushed a way by the water. Could have been worse from them.

Would have been amazing to see a concrete sidewalk supported entirely by water (and the truck punching through). Can you guys bill the city for damages, after all their truck broke it?