Script Monkey number 50
Premium
join:2006-06-06
Union, SC
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to amungus

Re: [Rant] ps3 update = no more Linux

I've got a slim 120GB which doesn't have the "Other OS" option anyway, so it doesn't bother me. As long as the thing plays my BD and games with no issue, I'm happy.

I've got a Wii also and I can't really understand why people want to hack the things. I never hacked my Atari 2600. It did what it was designed to do, play games. I never hacked my Mattel Intellivision, I never hacked either of the Atari 800 computers that I owned, I never hacked the NES or Super NES, and I never hacked my Playstation or Playstation II.

I'm not trying to play pirated games. I buy the games that I play so I have no need to hack anything.
--
If we were not meant to fly, why were we given Adrenaline and Endorphins.
DSL Extreme 6.0 (Home)
Wildblue Pro Pack (Work)

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable
Yeah, I'm not wanting to mod the PS3, even if it were possible.
Just got the thing a couple months ago.

If I want to keep Linux, blu-ray should not be affected.

Basically, it sounds like I have to back up game data etc. from the main partition, format, update, hope that the restoration works, and then have free space back (the 10GB taken up by Linux). Otherwise, update, and 10GB is "inaccessible."

Blu-ray playback is what really upsets me here. Requiring the update for this is messed up.

The "hack" that Sony is so worried about isn't even close to allowing anything to actually happen. This preemptive revocation of a feature that people expected to continue being supported is wrong.

Linux on PS3 does NOT = automatic potential future hacker/pirate

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to beldin
The more modern systems people frequently mod to turn them into full-blown media centers. See XBMC or similar. This type of modding really only started with the Xbox since it was one of the first "main stream" consoles to have a hard drive, which allowed the space to do such things. Prior to that, there were mod chips of course, but those were mainly for region breaking/running pirated games.

In regards to the wii, people commonly hack it to allow for dvd playback.

ender7074

join:2006-11-21
Saint Louis, MO
said by Xioden:

The more modern systems people frequently mod to turn them into full-blown media centers. See XBMC or similar. This type of modding really only started with the Xbox since it was one of the first "main stream" consoles to have a hard drive, which allowed the space to do such things. Prior to that, there were mod chips of course, but those were mainly for region breaking/running pirated games.

In regards to the wii, people commonly hack it to allow for dvd playback.
There's no need to hack the PS3 to be a full blown media center. It will stream pretty much anything from a computer on the network. I use it all the time to play music in the living room and have watched a movie that was streaming from the PC in a different room. It does Netflix, plays games, BD movies and DVDs. What the hell else should it do? I'm not real excited that they are removing the Linux option from the box but if I really need to run Linux, I'll do it from a pc and not a game machine.
--
Does Microsoft mean small and squishy?

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to amungus
Ever since the nintendo, and genesis there has been cheating devices. The companies tried to prevent cheating in some of their games even though they were single player, but in the end as the consoles progressed the methods got more and more sophisticated. The difference here was these were single player games.

I've seen online cheaters ever since early online pc games, and even console games, however the ones hosting the online services did take steps to ban these people who felt they had to cheat.

Everyone remember the psx, and the psone? How they removed the external port, however somebody just made a bootloader cd to work on the psone anyway?

With how these consoles can require updates to play the games online is a much of a anti-online cheating feature, as it is to make sure people are not trying to play copied disks. If people are not getting the updates I'm sure there's ways to play copied disks, and cheat in single player, however this is to help prevent these people from taking these cheats online against others who except others are not cheating.

I still don't like the ever-changing drm for blu-ray, which means you can't just buy a blu-ray player for your parents, and expect it to work without updates down the road, however that is what the movie studios forced on us. There is a reason dvd is still the most popular movie media, you need an internet connection to make sure your blu-ray player can play the most recent movies, if it can play them at all as the manufacturer hasn't updated their firmware yet.
--
My hourly rates:
$25 per hour.
$35 per hour if you want to watch.
$45 per hour if you want to help.
$75 per hour if you tried to fix it, and failed.
Security through obscurity is for the ignorant who don't deserve security.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
kudos:1
reply to ender7074
I'm not talking about the PS3, as per the post I replied to, I was talking about older systems.

ender7074

join:2006-11-21
Saint Louis, MO
said by Xioden:

I'm not talking about the PS3, as per the post I replied to, I was talking about older systems.
Oops missed that... Had next gen systems jammed into my brain when I was posting.
--
Does Microsoft mean small and squishy?