Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to beldin

Re: [Rant] ps3 update = no more Linux

The more modern systems people frequently mod to turn them into full-blown media centers. See XBMC or similar. This type of modding really only started with the Xbox since it was one of the first "main stream" consoles to have a hard drive, which allowed the space to do such things. Prior to that, there were mod chips of course, but those were mainly for region breaking/running pirated games.

In regards to the wii, people commonly hack it to allow for dvd playback.

ender7074

join:2006-11-21
Saint Louis, MO

said by Xioden:

The more modern systems people frequently mod to turn them into full-blown media centers. See XBMC or similar. This type of modding really only started with the Xbox since it was one of the first "main stream" consoles to have a hard drive, which allowed the space to do such things. Prior to that, there were mod chips of course, but those were mainly for region breaking/running pirated games.

In regards to the wii, people commonly hack it to allow for dvd playback.
There's no need to hack the PS3 to be a full blown media center. It will stream pretty much anything from a computer on the network. I use it all the time to play music in the living room and have watched a movie that was streaming from the PC in a different room. It does Netflix, plays games, BD movies and DVDs. What the hell else should it do? I'm not real excited that they are removing the Linux option from the box but if I really need to run Linux, I'll do it from a pc and not a game machine.
--
Does Microsoft mean small and squishy?

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
kudos:1

I'm not talking about the PS3, as per the post I replied to, I was talking about older systems.

ender7074

join:2006-11-21
Saint Louis, MO

said by Xioden:

I'm not talking about the PS3, as per the post I replied to, I was talking about older systems.
Oops missed that... Had next gen systems jammed into my brain when I was posting.
--
Does Microsoft mean small and squishy?