uniqs

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

So much for 6.1.9.24-enh.tm

Background: There's a computer here (employer configured laptop) that makes heavy DNS demands when booting. It has previously crashed a Speedstream 5861 modem/router, a Westell 2200 modem/router, a Westell 327w modem/router and a Belkin wired router.

In order to avoid problems, I have been using a ZyXEL NBG334W router in DMZplus mode behind the RG, with the NBG334W configured to directly supply the AT&T anycast DNS servers to client computers. This works fine.

What with all of the reports that firmware 6.1.9.24-enh.tm is supposed to fix the DNS problems of the RG, I gave it a try. I switched DNS over to the RG.

This all worked fine. Computers all worked well. DNS worked.

But ... then we tried using TV, and got only the orange u-verse screen. Rebooting the STB did not fix it. I had to reboot the RG to fix it.

We are now back to the ZyXEL NBG334W. It looks as if the RG still cannot handle heavy DNS request loads.

To be fair: I cannot be certain that this was a DNS problem. I might someday repeat the test to see if it happens again. It could be just a coincidence. However, the RG has stayed up for 90 days on the previous firmware without problems. It seems unlikely that it would fail the 3rd day after this firmware was installed. The only significant change, other than the new firmware, was the use of DNS through the RG. At least that is strong circumstantial evidence that the heavy DNS request load caused the RG to go into some sort of failure mode.

Sigh! In the meantime, I have now lost the STB programming (mainly the hidden channel list). It would be nice if there were a way to have that stored somewhere so that it can be restored over the network after an STB restart.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Why is this work computing making that many DNS requests?
dave006
join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL

dave006 to nwrickert

to nwrickert
Sorry to hear about that, it would have been interesting to see what was / is in the RG's log.

Dave

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

It's erased on the reboot.

There were a number of igmp queries, apparently unsuccesful. I didn't think to make a copy.
nwrickert

nwrickert to trparky

Mod

to trparky
said by trparky:

Why is this work computing making that many DNS requests?
I am not the family member with the computer.

It is presumably attempting to connect to servers on the work LAN, and these attempts will all fail until a VPN is established. When I was using a Westell 327w, it would log around 500 failed DNS lookup requests while the laptop was booting.

The alternative trick that works, but is tedious, is to leave the laptop disconnected from the network (WiFi switch turned off) until after it has completed booting.
tel601
join:2005-08-11
Picayune, MS

tel601 to nwrickert

to nwrickert
You can put treewalk dns or some other similar program on the computer and have it act like it's own dns server. This should cut down on the dns request by a large amount. I have also ran treewalk on one computer and had another computer send dns request to it before when ATT was having dns problems.

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

said by tel601:

You can put treewalk dns or some other similar program on the computer and have it act like it's own dns server.
I am running bind on my linux desktop.

That does not help with laptops. They need to be assigned DNS servers over DHCP, so that they can work wherever they are used. Their use is not limited to the home LAN.

I'm doing fine with the ZyXEL NBG334W router in DMZplus mode. I manually configure DNS servers there, and have it give out the configured servers via DHCP.

I started this thread mainly because people were wondering whether 6.1.9.24-enh had solved the DNS problems previously reported. It has probably solved them for many people. But it appears that it has not solved them for everyone.
DNSguy
join:2006-04-09
Saint Charles, MO

DNSguy to nwrickert

to nwrickert
The large burst of DNS requests is only on boot, right?
Once the laptop is up and connected to the VPN the flood stops?
It was while the laptop was booting that you tried to watch TV?
Trying to get a clearer picture of the sequence of events.

nwrickert
Mod
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

said by DNSguy:

The large burst of DNS requests is only on boot, right?
Right.
Once the laptop is up and connected to the VPN the flood stops?
Right.
It was while the laptop was booting that you tried to watch TV?
Oh, no, wrong on that one. The laptop was on VPN at that time, and not making any DNS requests (except through the VPN, so not seen here).
Trying to get a clearer picture of the sequence of events.
Understood.