Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Selenia

Re: [Rant] ps3 update = no more Linux

This illustrates a somewhat disturbing issue with much of today's equipment that has an Internet connection built-in. Any time they want, the manufacturer can force an update on you that removes features. And before anyone says that you don't have to install the 3.21 update: If you don't install it, you'll lose what are, in my view, far more important features of the console. So it's really a choice: What features do you want to lose?

I never used the "Other OS" feature nor had any plan to, but I feel sorry for people who do use it and are now up shit creek. It's not like they had to run an illegal patch or do some runaround to enable another OS; it's right there in the PS3 system menus. If they'd had to hack the system (like an iPhone jailbreak for example), they should understand that the exploit they used might be closed at any time. But this was a legitimately exposed and documented feature. I would never have expected it to suddenly disappear and cause issues for me if I had chosen to use it when it was available.

Granted, a very small portion of people used the "Other OS" feature, but I don't like the thought that maybe one day some feature I'm using will be magically removed and I'll just have to put up with it.

Playstation 3: It only does did everything.
--
"I'll follow the law until it's just stupid." -Ted Nugent