how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ahhnold

join:2003-12-04
Orland Park, IL

Dell Laptop Battery Replacement

I have a Dell Inspirion 1525 that has a dying battery. I can get a replacement directly from Dell but I am wondering if buying a third party battery thru say Tigerdirect, etc. would work out OK. Looks like the prices at non-Dell outlets are 25-50% less than Dell. Just wondering if I would choose that route if the battery would provide comparable performance to a Dell. The stock Dell battery has lasted just about 2yrs.

sapo
Cruising Down Memory Lane
Premium
join:2002-09-16
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1

1 edit

Lots of these places provide a warranty so find a reputable seller who will stand behind it. I personally have been running a 3rd party battery in my dell for a while but definitely not 2 years.
--
Purple Drink

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo

1 edit
reply to ahhnold

Having a Dell laptop myself, this is what I have learned about replacement batteries:

Be VERY careful what you buy!

A battery that is labeled as a "replacement" Dell battery and has a much lower price is suspect. While it will most likely fit and work, it at best won't last as long and MIGHT be a fire hazard. Many of the "replacement" batteries are cheap Chinese knock offs and lack most, if not all of the built-in circuitry that monitors battery charge, condition and temp. Beware of these cheap knock offs!

Check the rated capacity of the battery you will purchase. Not all are equal. Check the Amp / hr rating and compare to others. Some call themselves "extended" but the amp/hr rating, while higher than a "standard" battery, will not be as high as a true Dell extended life battery.

Lastly, you can get a true Dell battery at places other than directly from Dell, and for a lower price than what Dell will sell it for. One place to look at is »www.simplemicro.com/ , I got a true Dell AC adapter there for my Latitude D630 at just above half the price Dell wanted for it. YMMV.
--
Learn from the past and look to the future.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to ahhnold

I just got a 9 cell battery for an 1526 from eBay for $40.95. On paper it has 3 years of warranty.

ahhnold

Orland Park, IL
reply to BK3

Thanks for the comments and advice. I did check out supermicro and they do have a replacement (non-dell) battery for my laptop with a 1year warranty. The replacement battery specs 7.8A/hr for $109 while the dell part does not provide any tech specs just a price of $156. Looking over other dell 9-cell high capacity batteries in that class they are in the 80-85Watt/hr range which translates into 7.2-7.7A/hr for 11.1 volts.

This leads me to believe the dell battery is spec'd about the same as the generic supermicro part. I'll bet dell OEMs these batteries out since they are the low end laptops that why no published specs exist. I guess I'll save the $45 and see what happens.

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo

said by ahhnold:

Thanks for the comments and advice. I did check out supermicro and they do have a replacement (non-dell) battery for my laptop with a 1year warranty. The replacement battery specs 7.8A/hr for $109 while the dell part does not provide any tech specs just a price of $156. Looking over other dell 9-cell high capacity batteries in that class they are in the 80-85Watt/hr range which translates into 7.2-7.7A/hr for 11.1 volts.

This leads me to believe the dell battery is spec'd about the same as the generic supermicro part. I'll bet dell OEMs these batteries out since they are the low end laptops that why no published specs exist. I guess I'll save the $45 and see what happens.
I would say to go ahead. My advice may be a little bit skewed, since the Latitude series has stricter requirements than the Inspiron series. In fact, If my Latitude does not recognize the adapter or battery as a true Dell, it will not charge the battery or run the laptop at full speed.

Good luck and I hope this works well for you! (I'm sure it will.)
--
Learn from the past and look to the future.

ahhnold

Orland Park, IL

1 recommendation

I received the new battery from supermicro a few days ago. So far so good ... no explosions or flames! The first discharge cycle lasted about 4-5Hrs of use which is about 2X longer than the stock battery. Looks like all is well.

BK3 thanks again for the advice and recommendations, they are much appreciated.