damn straight!

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to capecoddah

OK, it's time...
NEXT YEAR!!!
Nice book-end wins against the Yanks but full teams on the DL was a recipe for a short October.

Papi got better and won the Home Run Derby.
Maybe no Tek next year.

Oh well.
How many days until pitchers and catchers report to spring training?

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
reply to capecoddah

sosadtoobad.thesfgiantsmadeitintotheplayoffsthough

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2

it won't mean shit if they don't win the whole ball of wax. they'll be remembered just like all the other 28 teams that didn't get the big trophy... 1st place losers.
--
Liberty is allowing other people to do the things you disaprove of.

ElminsterOld

join:2009-03-04
reply to capecoddah

Now the Yankees just need to lose and the Rays take it all. Go AL East minus the Yankee's! (wife's comment)

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to capecoddah

From the BBC: When baseball meets football: Boston and Liverpool

By Mark Mitchener

Liverpool fans may have mixed feelings about exchanging one set of American owners for another after it emerged the Premier League club was about to be sold to the New England Sports Ventures (NESV), owners of baseball's Boston Red Sox.

But supporters on both sides of the Atlantic may be interested in a potential link-up between two clubs that are steeped in the history of their respective sports.

Like Anfield, Boston's Fenway Park is one of the best-known sports venues in the world, while both cities have a strong expatriate affinity with Ireland.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
reply to Harddrive

theywontheirdivisiontitle

Harddrive
Premium
DFW

No one outside the team remembers that. Nobody gives a crap about divisional titles.
--
Liberty is allowing other people to do the things you disapprove of.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz

youwouldiftheredsoxgottheirs

Harddrive
Premium
DFW

Nope, if any team I follow doesn't win the big game, the season doesn't mean squat.
Didn't win the Super Bowl, losers.
Didn't win the World Series, losers.
Didn't win the World Cup, losers.
Didn't win the Rider Cup, losers.

No one ever remembers second place.
--

Midgard

join:2010-10-11
MA

said by Harddrive:

Nope, if any team I follow doesn't win the big game, the season doesn't mean squat.
Didn't win the Super Bowl, losers.
Didn't win the World Series, losers.
Didn't win the World Cup, losers.
Didn't win the Rider Cup, losers.

No one ever remembers second place.
Depends on the market. Lots of ban wagon area fans will jump on the ship next year because their local team got #2 this year.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to capecoddah

The Toronto Blue Jays named Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell their new manager Monday, handing over a young team to a man with a strong and wide-ranging resume that lacks any previous managerial experience.

not bad for a Cape League pitcher with this record:
In 11 games was 0-6, 9.31 ERA, 48.1 IP, 7 GS, 68 H, 31 W, 44 K.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Harddrive

We love our team. Win or loose, it is our team.
This year hasn't been great. But not all teams have great seasons.
Anyone remember the Pats. They hardly ever made playoffs. Now that that have a few Superbowl's everyone expects them to win. Sorry, it can't happen all the time. Now it seams everyone wants the same from the Sox. The Pats and Sox, like anyone, have good years and bad.
Our Sox, not a good year. Allot of disabled members made for a "use what you have" team. We did well to get as far as we did.

toups

join:2001-11-02
Boxborough, MA

said by Dominokat:

....... Allot of disabled members made for a "use what you have" team. We did well to get as far as we did.

And a very interesting season! In spite of a huge injury list, they still made it exciting by cobbling together a team that was still very competitive! They may not have come in first, but they certainly weren't last. It was interesting to see players contributing, some at positions that were not where you expected to find them.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
reply to capecoddah

Giants just won the World Series.

Harddrive
Premium
DFW

1 edit

at least it wasn't the freakin' Yankees.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to capecoddah

Pitching and bats!
Congratulations to the SF team for the win! Congrats to Texas for the play.

Go Sox.
Next Year.

I'm boxing my shorts, Life Guard swim trunks and Motel shirts for a winter in the attic. Sox gear in a separate box. 1 Red Sox hat in rotation, a worn baseball on the desk and a bat by the front door.

I love the game! 29 years of Red Sox and Cape League schedules on the cellar door.

Go Sox.
This year!

Pitchers and Catchers can't come soon enough!

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
reply to capecoddah

guess Ortiz is stickin' around for another year. seems he's a little upset he didn't get a longer extension with more cash (heard that on WEEI).
1 year playing in the MLB as a DH for $12.5 million.
32 homeruns last year = $390,625 per homerun
102 RBIs last year = $122,549 per run batted in
--

Midgard

MA

said by Harddrive:

guess Ortiz is stickin' around for another year. seems he's a little upset he didn't get a longer extension with more cash (heard that on WEEI).
1 year playing in the MLB as a DH for $12.5 million.
32 homeruns last year = $390,625 per homerun
102 RBIs last year = $122,549 per run batted in
Not bad for no post season appearance.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to capecoddah

Red Sox lose star catcher Martinez to Tigers

A person familiar with the agreement tells The Associated Press that catcher Victor Martinez and the Detroit Tigers have reached a preliminary agreement on a $50 million, four-year contract.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity Tuesday because the deal, which is subject to a physical, had not yet been announced.

So far, NOT good...

Harddrive
Premium
DFW

and they paid Ortiz how much?
Martinez is a much more capable ball player than Ortiz. should have let Ortiz go shop himself around and seen what his value was. then let him come back if he wanted and been able to pay for his true value as a player. probably much less than $12.5 million a year.
--

Paul928

join:2000-05-06
Haverhill, MA

This situation looks almost like the short stop situation the Sox have been going through since trading Nomar! Martinez is not a good catcher at all, but he plays an average first base, and can also DH...... He has a very good bat, and that will be missed next season for sure. If they don't sign maybe a Carl Crawford, or someone else that has the potential of 30+ 120 RBI,
the offense will be in deep trouble.....I just don't like the direction that Theo is taking this team.

Harddrive
Premium
DFW

Theo probably looked to his statistician and a comment was made about Martinez's age. what is Martinez, 31 turning 32 very shortly? who knows what Theo is thinking.
--

Harddrive
Premium
DFW
reply to capecoddah

so who is this Carl Crawford guy and is he worth a seven-year, $142 million deal?

and if the Yankees don't get Cliff Lee because he like to be at home in Arkansas on his off days (only an hour flight from DFW to Arkansas), they got nothing except old broken down Jeter that's mad cause he's not as valued as he thought he was.
--

Midgard

MA

said by Harddrive:

so who is this Carl Crawford guy and is he worth a seven-year, $142 million deal?

and if the Yankees don't get Cliff Lee because he like to be at home in Arkansas on his off days (only an hour flight from DFW to Arkansas), they got nothing except old broken down Jeter that's mad cause he's not as valued as he thought he was.

He's from the team that took the division. He was a major part of that happening.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA

1 recommendation

reply to capecoddah

Crawford announcement made today.
In a related note, tickets went on sale today to help pay for him.

Frostbite

join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA

I tried to get in for ticket sales before I went into the city today, but I gave up after an hour in the queue. Now I'm finally back home and trying again. I don't expect much more success, though. :O

My usual ways of getting seats are by getting a Red Sox Nation membership and going through Ace Ticket the week of the game I want to see.
--
-Frosty, KA1FOX

Frostbite

join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA

said by Frostbite:

I tried to get in for ticket sales before I went into the city today, but I gave up after an hour in the queue. Now I'm finally back home and trying again. I don't expect much more success, though. :O

Scratch that -- I finally got into the ticket ordering process!

Got tickets for the Tuesday night (4/12) Rays game, third base line grandstand.
--
-Frosty, KA1FOX

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
reply to capecoddah

I'd love to see a Sox game. But overtime I try to order tickets, I end up in the nose bleed section. So I cancel the order. So as yet, have yet to see a live Sox game.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to capecoddah

On-line was great until the legal scalpers (Ace & Stub Hub) killed getting tix with bots and spiders... I used to get concert and ball game tix when I worked third shift and got to the Ticketron outlet @ 7:10 am. I might try for a game when the income starts coming again.

DK, just go! Hit the bleachers! Just make sure you enter from behind home plate. Walking up that ramp will blow your mind! The best TV in the world will never show just how green it is. Stunning to say the least.

Years ago my Uncle had season tix and would bring me or occasionally give me his seats. 3rd base-line perpendicular to the batter circle. Now with $100 tix, I realize how fortunate I was.

65 day 'till pitchers and catchers report!

GO SOX!!!