All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

badfishlbc
@pacbell.net

badfishlbc

Anon

Is Uverse coming to Downtown Los Angeles?

In my office I currently have a 6 MB DSL line from AT&T. We have a need for more download bandwith and the next step up is about $2000/month. Would love to see UVerse come to town with the 24MB download speed but as of today there is no affordable option at the moment.

Is UVerse coming to the Downtown LA high rises???

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

1 edit

djrobx

Premium Member

I'm guessing AT&T doesn't have a lot of incentive to get those $2000/mo customers onto a low cost replacement.

I do think it's about time that $300-$500 we pay for a T1 buys us something better than ancient, slow technology.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386 to badfishlbc

to badfishlbc
said by badfishlbc :

Is UVerse coming to the Downtown LA high rises???
I wouldn't expect it any time soon (if ever). The issue isn't getting a VRAD placed, but the internal building cabling. I install VRAD's in Central Florida, and have ran into a couple different situations:

1) Daytona Beach: the VRAD cabinet is placed just outside a series of 10+ story condos. The lines test perfect TO the condos, but the lines owned by the buildings are horrible... and IF service is available its the worst possible case.

2) Orlando: This is standard for mostly NEW buildings. AT&T places the VRAD inside a bay, and in the buildings telco room. AT&T maintains the cabling and everyone is happy...

So if your building is old(er) then you may be screwed. I see a lot of older buildings still getting frame relay and/or SoNET services. If you need an IP based service, have you checked out MetroE's?
GRiDLoCK74
join:2003-07-12
Los Angeles, CA

GRiDLoCK74 to badfishlbc

to badfishlbc
I am also running a business in downtown LA. I am located near USC and the highest speed I can get is 6MB. The ATT office on Washington and Grand is a couple of blocks from my office.