Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

1 recommendation

Brano

MVM

USG200 speed tests #3

Additional speed test with firmware 2.20(AQU.0)

For older firmwares see
»USG200 speed tests
»USG200 speed tests #2

Testing environment:
Server on LAN: openSUSE 11.2, gigabit NIC
Client on WAN2: openSUSE 11.2, gigabit NIC

All tests are done netperf TCP_STREAM as per below (default test):
tweety:~ # netperf -V  
Netperf version 2.4.5  
tweety:~ # netperf -f m -H 192.168.50.2  
TCP STREAM TEST from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0) port 0 AF_INET to 192.168.50.2 (192.168.50.2) port 0 AF_INET

Setup notes:
- BWM and CF was always Off
- There were some other firewall rules on the USG defined and active, but the Internet WAN link was Off
- AppPatrol all default, forward
- AV ZyXel engine, all protocols on
- IDP default, any to any
- ADP default, any to any
- AS default, any to any

Performed tests:
First I've done 3 subsequent 10 seconds tests. Then I've started over and done one 30 seconds test.
I've added Test #0 with both computers connected through switch only to demonstrate physical limitations of my test environment.

Notes on results:
Services such as AV, AS are supposed to be scanning only specific protocols i.e. HTTP FTP SMTP POP3 IMAP4 thus not sure how good are these tests since I was using netperf on some random port non-specific protocol.

Advertised speeds:
Firewall Throughput: 150 Mbps
UTM Throughput (AV+IDP+Firewall): 40 Mbps

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Hi Brano,

What do you mean by advertised speeds (are they two way, in which case would should assume a one way speed of half the stated amount??)

Test 2 and 7 seem consistent showing a 90Mbps speed - is this one way or two way. If one way then 180Mbps is much better than the advertised 150Mbps???

What I don't understand is why test 8 results FULLY loaded appear better than tests 4-6?

Test 3 shows a 10mbps hit with App Patrol.

Tests 4,5,6 show a 60-80Mbps hit for AV, IDP, ADP when applied individually (with IDP being the worst).

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano

MVM

said by Anav:

What do you mean by advertised speeds (are they two way, in which case would should assume a one way speed of half the stated amount??)
Good question, I don't really know how ZyXel is presenting the numbers. The info was taken from the published product brief.
If the published speeds are two way then I have to admit that marketing people got me again :sigh:

All tests I've done are ONE WAY WAN->LAN
said by Anav:

Test 2 and 7 seem consistent showing a 90Mbps speed - is this one way or two way.
Test 2 is valid one way test.
Test 7 (as I've indicated in 'Notes on Results') is not valid per se due the fact I was not using valid SMTP traffic. I was testing on port 25 though, however with some random data that netperf is generating.
said by Anav:

If one way then 180Mbps is much better than the advertised 150Mbps???
(Agreed) Potentially. You can not assume that one way 90 is times two both ways. It needs to be tested.
said by Anav:

What I don't understand is why test 8 results FULLY loaded appear better than tests 4-6?

Test 3 shows a 10mbps hit with App Patrol.

Tests 4,5,6 show a 60-80Mbps hit for AV, IDP, ADP when applied individually (with IDP being the worst).
Hard to say, this can be due to various reasons how the packet inspection algorithms are written and interacting with each other (share some data), multi threading, caching, accelerators better utilized ...only ZyXel would be able to answer exactly.
Wintel
join:2009-02-19

Wintel to Brano

to Brano
What is the USG200 CPU usage of the test?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

1 edit

Brano

MVM

Varied from 10-60%