Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Stockmoose16

join:2003-11-18
Burbank, CA

iPad on exchange server

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right group for this, but I'm having a problem hooking my corporate exchange account to my Ipad. Here's the issue:

When I'm outside of the office, my corporate email will only download if I set the email server settings on the iPad to OWA.mycorporation.com

However, when i'm IN the office, the OWA server no longer works, and the only way to get my corporate email is to change the Ipad's email settings to the Exchange server address. When I leave the office, this exchange address does not work.

I don't want to have to manually toggle between the OWA and Exchange server to get my email. Is there any way to ameliorate this problem.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4

Unfortunately that sounds like an error on the part of your domain admin. Sounds like they're doing some sort of split DNS and not mapping the External (owa.domain.com) entry in the internal DNS.

Probably your best bet is to talk to the system administrator of your Domain.

Stockmoose16

Burbank, CA

Unfortunately, my office doesn't have an IT person at the moment. I'm the closest thing they have to a tech savvy person. Is there any other workaround?

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4

Normally on a Windows system, you could edit the HOSTS file to have some effect, but I don't believe it would work even in this case, as it sounds like you cannot use the external IP of the server while on your office network.

Really it's a design fault (or feature, depending on the intention) of the network and firewall / router. If you don't have access to the Internal or External DNS servers I can't think of an easy way around it.

Unfortunately in my company we don't have our OWA open to the public, it sits behind a VPN portal, so I couldn't even attempt to try to figure out some sort of solution with my iPod Touch. Hopefully someone will reply with something you can try!

Stockmoose16

Burbank, CA

Well, there are a couple of further things I failed to mention. Some people in my office are able to use outlook on their laptops at home and download their Exchange emails, while others are unable to do that. I assume some sort of permissions exist to allow some people to do this and others not - probably the same permissions precluding me from using the Exchange server address to download my corporate emails at home. Can you shed any light on this subject?

Another interesting point, and I don't know if this is relevant, is that my company changed its domain name recently. So, we used to be john smith@my company.com, but now we're Johnsmith@business.com. From outside the office, we can use either OWA.my company.com OR OWA.business.com to access our corporate email. But internally, if we try to use the full OWA address, it won't work. You have to enter "OWA" only and it'll let you into the OWA email.

Does any of this make a difference in how I set up my iPad email?

bbarrera
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
reply to Stockmoose16

I've got this working with iPad/iPhone/Touch/randomPhone/etc. As stated earlier you need to:

1. At office you need to setup split DNS so that owa.mycorporation.com has CNAME to internal FQDN. You'll also need DNS records that correspond to public DNS. That way at office your iPad/iPhone/Touch/RandomPhone will be told how to correctly contact the Exchange server, using the external name for the mail server.

2. Properly configure Exchange's Server Configuration / Client Access to accept both internal and external URLs (this appears to already be working).

Those two things are short work for someone familiar with DNS and Exchange.

Stockmoose16

Burbank, CA

I'm very tech savvy, but don't know anything about servers. Since I'm the closest thing to an IT guy my company has, can you explain how to implement the steps you mentioned to layman? Do I need to make these changes via the server, or can I do it from my work computer directly?

Also, why is it that some people at my work can access their email via outlook from outside the office and others can't? This must be a setting, right?

bbarrera
Premium,MVM
Sacramento, CA

Explanation is somewhat involved if you don't know about Windows Server and your public DNS.

There are "Exchange over Internet" settings in Outlook when configuring access to an Exchange Server.

Stockmoose16

Burbank, CA

So, if I'm reading this right, some people can access their email from the outside because outlook has a built in "Exchange from the Internet," while the iPad doesn't have this ability? I don't understand how Outlook can reconcile the dns issues you mentioned, but the iPad cannot.

I know the explanation is involved, but is there any way you could try to give me some simple direction? I can access my company's server room, but I need to know what to do to fix the problem.

bbarrera
Premium,MVM
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

Like I said, you need to setup split DNS. That involves taking stock of your public DNS, understanding how DNS is handled at the office, reviewing the current config, planning the zone, and then configuring your DNS server. If you have a simple set of public DNS records then it might only take an hour for someone skilled in DNS and Exchange and Windows Server.

Without knowing more I can't really comment on how some are using Outlook at home and office. In the past I've done it using VPN, or by switching between two profiles in Outlook. They may not be using rpc over https ("Exchange from Internet").

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Stockmoose16

said by Stockmoose16:

I don't want to have to manually toggle between the OWA and Exchange server to get my email. Is there any way to ameliorate this problem.
Typically, Exchange will have an internal and an external addres, and mixing the two is not supported intentionally. So you might not be able to access the OWA site from the intranet, and you surely won't be able to access intranet exchange servers from outside.

No good suggestion for you - just pointing out that the "problem" (if any) is with the configuration of the outlook web access gateway.

Who did you outsource your email to?
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

bbarrera
Premium,MVM
Sacramento, CA

said by JohnInSJ:

Typically, Exchange will have an internal and an external addres,
Full stop. Exchange was designed to respond to 2 different URLs, and for transparent access from anywhere (Internet or LAN) all that is required is split DNS so that LAN users can access using the same URL as from the Internet.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

said by bbarrera:

said by JohnInSJ:

Typically, Exchange will have an internal and an external addres,
Full stop. Exchange was designed to respond to 2 different URLs, and for transparent access from anywhere (Internet or LAN) all that is required is split DNS so that LAN users can access using the same URL as from the Internet.
I'm just saying I've never seen it implemented that way - it's not implemented that way in my current company, nor the last (both massively large corporations with large and one can only assume functional IT departments.)

I'm not saying you can't do it, just that its not surprising to me that his isn't set up that way.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to Stockmoose16

said by Stockmoose16:

I'm very tech savvy, but don't know anything about servers. Since I'm the closest thing to an IT guy my company has, can you explain how to implement the steps you mentioned to layman? Do I need to make these changes via the server, or can I do it from my work computer directly?

Also, why is it that some people at my work can access their email via outlook from outside the office and others can't? This must be a setting, right?
Quite frankly the people who setup your exchange server need to be called back in to fix it so that it works correctly.
--
PRescott7-2097

Leathal
Premium
join:2002-02-09
canada
kudos:2
reply to Stockmoose16

You can add owa.company.com to your computers hosts list with the correct IP address, but you will have remember to remove it when you are outside of the company.

But like Jahntassa said your servers at the office need to have their internal DNS servers pointing owa.companyname.com to the internal server which is what they should be doing for OWA to be working on both sides.

Leathal

GeXX

join:2010-04-10
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Stockmoose16

What kind of router are you all using? It sounds like NAT loopback needs to be turned on so that traffic will use the external IP internally the same way that it uses it externally.

Also you mentioned that you all change the domain name, did you all change your ssl cert when you did that?

If you are the IT guy now, even if not by title, then I would start learning exchange a bit, it can be a bit daunting at first, but after a few weeks it gets to be a bit easier. One needs to make sure that the backups are being done so your log files don't get filled, make sure that you keep a valid ssl cert or you are going to start to run into issues, and also monitor database size to make sure that you are not going to run out of hdd space or hit the db size limit.

»www.petri.co.il/ is a great resource that has saved me several times.