spc
Search similar:

uniqs

SirMeowmix_I
@myvzw.com

SirMeowmix_I

Anon

DPI/Layer7/NXDOMAIN Privacy questions re. Windstream DSL

Hello, I am a Windstream Business Class DSL customer and have been with the company long before the Alltel->Windstream spin-off. I've asked this question numerous times indirectly and Windstream has chosen to skirt the issue. I will now ask directly, and expect an answer from Windstream, as a paying customer of the service.

Does Windstream implement OSI Layer 7 analysis of any DSL class customer (Residential/Business) such as HTTP traffic analysis?

Does Windstream implement DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) for other OSI Layer 7 protocols?

Does Windstream disclose the use of these DPI/Layer 7 if they are currently being utilized, and if so, where?

Aside from the NXDOMAIN DNS hi-jacking are there any other RFC-violating or traffic invasive technologies being implemented by Windstream which cause privacy concerns or target DSL customers to generate revenue?

Is any of the DNS and/or HTTP data, if mined, sold to any 3rd party?

Your response is appreciated.

disgruntled21
join:2007-11-22

disgruntled21

I believe a lack of response to these questions by Windstream is an admission that all or many of these privacy invasive technologies are being employed against us, without knowledge to the DSL subscriber.

SirMeowmix_I
@myvzw.com

SirMeowmix_I to SirMeowmix_I

Anon

to SirMeowmix_I
The fact that Windstream cannot answer such a simple request or question, without going into advanced technical detail or disclosure of business practices, is beyond concerning.

I think at this point it's pretty evident that they're doing DPI, harvesting data, and generating revenue from it.

As a customer I an enraged and I find it despicable that you would engage in such ethically questionable practices and fail to alert your customers accordingly.
sethf
join:2008-08-29
Danielsville, GA

sethf to SirMeowmix_I

to SirMeowmix_I
I too would like to know about this, but I doubt we'll hear the real story.

disgruntled21
join:2007-11-22

disgruntled21 to SirMeowmix_I

to SirMeowmix_I

Why is so hard to get any kind of answer on what has recently happened? So here is the question in it most direct form. Is Windstream trying to see what I am downloading or is Windstream trying to get my passwords and accounts? I personally am so upset by the fact the will not come clean with what they did it just disgust me. Or could it be that they think I am so freaking stupid I would not notice.

forgotmeid
@windstream.net

forgotmeid to SirMeowmix_I

Anon

to SirMeowmix_I
A asked the question of them via the email address listed in Windstream's posts. No reply thus far.

The silent treatment is not reassuring. Particularly for a company that is usually quick to respond to customers here.
Expand your moderator at work

BlueArcher
Premium Member
join:2003-03-11
Lexington, KY

BlueArcher to SirMeowmix_I

Premium Member

to SirMeowmix_I

Re: DPI/Layer7/NXDOMAIN Privacy questions re. Windstream DSL

Good questions, in for answers.