This is a sub-selection from Comcast has problem too

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to del ftl

Re: Comcast has problem too

"Being charged a rental fee for an owned modem (which we've also seen with Comcast) is usually a case of..."

That was addressed in Karl's original post as well.

There is also another easy way to fix this issue... all modems, company owned even, should have a max rental-life that they charge on it before it's considered 'purchased'.. meaning, that if the modem has been rented out for, say, 3 years, then that modem is/should no longer be considered available for "collections"..

Modems are SO dirt cheap these days anyway, and cable operators obviously buy them at a MUCH lower cost than retail.. I figure it takes 10 months or less of rental to just break even. I believe they should even be able to make profit on them as well since they carry the expense of purchasing them as well, but there has to be a limit in my opinion. Simply put, I just think they should get out of the modem rental business, just sell them, and make their profit at the time of sale.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

said by fiberguy:

I just think they should get out of the modem rental business, just sell them, and make their profit at the time of sale.
Then they wouldn't have to support them ? I think that some subscribers like the idea of their ISP supporting them.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3

No.. they wouldn't have to support them. I have a Linksys cable modem, and when I need support, I call linksys, not my ISP - in this case, would be Mediacom for that account.

The telephone companies don't seem to have this problem with modems - they simply sell them to the customer, for the large part, and they're pretty much done. They still honor the warranty, etc. But, the modems are really a sale to the customer. They're also cheap enough that the customer can afford to replace it on their own if they have to. Also, it's not a HUGE deal either.. it's not like the cable or phone companies won't give you one and bill you for it on your next bill either.

It's funny... if you think the subscriber likes the idea of their ISP supporting it, do you think the customer feels the same way about cable converters for their TVs?

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I rent my cable modem from TimeWarner and it seems whenever I have an issue their first response is to replace the modem.

I must have had 3 dozens modems replaced. One or two went bad but the rest were repeated dispatched on a PLANT issue (not even a line drop or modem issue).

That's 90% of the issue and the reason for so many truck rolls right there if you ask me.
--
~ Insert a Funny Sig Here ~

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to fiberguy

Yes.