uniqs
share rss forum feed

Michael C

join:2009-06-26
Cedar Park, TX

1 edit

Oh really?

"Our primary goal was always to clear our name and reputation."

Do they really think this court decision cleared their name? As if this somehow makes them less of an asshole for forging packets and then lying about doing it?

The real problem now is that this decision sets a very dangerous legal precedent. It basically says "Any other company, that doesn't mind a little consumer backlash, can do this and there will be no recourse...not even a wrist slap."

marcusj3000
Darkness Rising
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Alexandria, LA
it also allows the FCC to tell congress it needs wide sweeping powers which it will probably get.

"We at the FCC thank Comcast for making all dreams possible"

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by marcusj3000:

it also allows the FCC to tell congress it needs wide sweeping powers which it will probably get.

"We at the FCC thank Comcast for making all dreams possible"
Considering how much the cable companies and telcos give to Congress every year I doubt the FCC gets any REAL authority.

Michael C

Cedar Park, TX
Considering the political wad congress just blew in the health care fight, I doubt they're up for much of anything else....except maybe a cigarette and a nap.

The best bet is reclassification as a telecommunications service (which we all know it is) under Title II. Then if Congress doesn't like that, they can pass laws granting the FCC specific authority. I'd much rather have ISPs under tighter regulation and have Congress fight to justify relaxing them, rather than letting ISPs have free reign until Congess comes up with some feel-good yet ineffective law.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Michael C
said by Michael C:

It basically says "Any other company, that doesn't mind a little consumer backlash, can do this and there will be no recourse...not even a wrist slap."
Consumer backlash? ... would that be from those "consumers" who had/have total disregard for the TOS/AUP agreement that they're bound to? From what I've read and see over the past years, those are the ones that scream the most. The rest - they don't care becuase it really never affected them.

Michael C

Cedar Park, TX
What part of the TOS/AUP agreement were the Comcast BitTorrent users disregarding? There wasn't an explicit threshold set at that time that constituted "excessive use". So basically they were punished for violating some moving threshold that they could never really know. That punishment also came in the form of Comcast subversively forging packets and then lying to those customers about it. Sounds to me like they had every right to be a little pissed off.

And when Windstream purposefully/accidentally hijacked Google toolbar, those consumers had every right to scream at them. We're going to see more and more of this. This is just the beginning. Consumers shouldn't have to go grab their pitchforks and riot every time ISPs pull stunts like this. That's what the FCC should be doing.

Just because it's only a minority of consumers who are getting screwed doesn't make it any less wrong.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
What part of the TOS/AUP? Ummmm.. were you UPLOADING and running a server based application on a residential service?

.. there's your answer.