how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gearheadgeek

join:2010-01-10
Goshen, IN

Walled Garden Problems

Background: My 327W has developed the habit of going offline or such. The lights look correct but you can't reach the internet. Usually you can't even ping the modem (192.168.1.1)

Problem: Tech support could not get the replacement 7500 past the walled garden. 192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm returned an error message. Using the downloaded install software on my Mac, it get to "saving user settings - wait 3 minutes" and no further. I have waited as long as 45 minutes.

Questions: Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know another way to disable walled garden? Is it possible to install Westell software and connect to Verizon? Finally, what is "walled garden" about? ie, is it purely local to the modem or does it end up going to a secret location at Verizon?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:3

This might help

»Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How to Turn off the Walled Garden

gearheadgeek

Goshen, IN

Thanks, but I said that is that is not working - that is what produces the error page.

mking128

join:2005-08-10
College Point, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

1 recommendation

Have you done the master reset on the W7500? On the back of the modem, next to the phone line port, there is a recessed (red) button - take a pen/pencil & press/hold it in for a few moment, until the lights flash to indicate that the reboot has begun. This will restore all the settings to factory default (might have to hold it down for 10 or 15 secs. or longer)

It will take as much as 5 minutes for the modem/router to reboot & re-establish an internet connection (had 2 W327 before & it typically take 2 minutes or so, maybe 3 at most) - for it to sync. & in proper order. You should be able to then reach 192.168.1.1 to access the red Verizon browser page for the setup. If so, you can follow the directions on turning off the wall garden - and you can simply change your VZ username & password, save it & reboot. (And, take another 5 minute coffee/tea break)

Otherwise, it's possible the new replacement modem itself could be defective - since sometimes, they will send a FRU unit & not a brand new one - consider asking tech. support for another exchange. Also, see if you can borrow a neighbor or friend's VZ-compatible modem to see whether it's a hardware or line condition.

My personal experiences with these aging W327 hasn't been good & they failed over time at a faster pace than expected - just to be sure, you are doing a hard-wire connection & not wirelessly ....

Good luck!

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:23
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to gearheadgeek

If the firmware is no good on the new Westell 7500, may I suggest visiting Verizon's website and downloading a new copy of the firmware? All it might need is a re-flash of the software on it. This can be done without the modem connected just as long as you download the correct files to your computer.
--
This is a signature, eaten by spring.

Bytebender
Premium
join:2008-02-12
Canada

Can you ping the new modem?

z31337VBTS

join:2009-11-02
Thunder Bay, ON
reply to gearheadgeek

At times the hard reset works, along with clearing the browsers cookies, cache and history pages...

Does sound like a defective GUI though, if hard resetting a few times doesn't work, again try to flash it with fresh new firmware, never know . . .

The walled garden itself it just an activation schemed used with verizon supplied modems to get the customers to initially register the username and accept the TOS... most hard resets will produce this page until its disabled...

gearheadgeek

Goshen, IN
reply to mking128

said by mking128:

Have you done the master reset on the W7500?

We did this 10 times on the second replacement 7500. The word at Verizon was that it took 4 to 8 hard resets to escape the walled garden. The tech gave up after 10 and is sending me the third 7500.
You should be able to then reach 192.168.1.1 to access the red Verizon browser page for the setup. If so, you can follow the directions on turning off the wall garden
The first screen insists that I change my admin name and password. Having done that, I can get the main screen, but do not see anyway to turn off the walled garden there or any instructions to do so.
just to be sure, you are doing a hard-wire connection & not wirelessly
In fact the only thing connected to the 7500 during the install attempts is a laptop connected with the ethernet cable they supply.

gearheadgeek

Goshen, IN
reply to Smith6612

said by Smith6612:

If the firmware is no good on the new Westell 7500, may I suggest visiting Verizon's website and downloading a new copy of the firmware?
I checked and the 7500 is running the latest software.

gearheadgeek

Goshen, IN
reply to Bytebender

said by Bytebender:

Can you ping the new modem?
yes

gearheadgeek

Goshen, IN
reply to z31337VBTS

said by z31337VBTS:

At times the hard reset works, along with clearing the browsers cookies, cache and history pages...
All of those have been tried, including two different computers and two different browsers on each.
Does sound like a defective GUI though, if hard resetting a few times doesn't work, again try to flash it with fresh new firmware, never know . . .

I have another "new" 7500 to try after I finish this. Maybe I will try to reflash it it fails.
The walled garden itself it just an activation schemed used with verizon supplied modems to get the customers to initially register the username and accept the TOS... most hard resets will produce this page until its disabled...
What I don't understand is the mechanism. It seems like the walled garden requires access to a Verizon web site, so an html failure page in response to trying to contact 192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm could mean the Verizon site is broken or the 7500 is looking in the wrong place or ??? I would be easier to troubleshoot if I understood what is supposed to be happening.

Bytebender
Premium
Canada

1 edit

The walled garden is a feature built into the firmware that will, whenever the unit is reset, re-direct your browser to a Verizon "registration" server.
The walled garden is disabled by either working through the registration process and allowing it to set up the "modem" for you, (note: the downloading of any software is not necessary and can be avoided by choosing Custom Installation and carefully de-selecting everything on all subsequent screens.), or by visiting 192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm, which should show a "Restricted" page with a disable button at the bottom.
Failure to reach that page, (which is local to the 7500, at 192.168.1.1), while being able to access the modem GUI, does indicate a Firmware fault. If you flash the firmware, be sure to download the firmware file to your computer and cause the 7500 to do a Local Update.
Hopefully the "new" one works out better for you!
--
reboot, reset, reconfigure, then recycle.

gearheadgeek

Goshen, IN

said by Bytebender:

The walled garden is a feature built into the firmware that will, whenever the unit is reset, re-direct your browser to a Verizon "registration" server.
I knew that, and still think it is a stupid thing to have to do if swapping out a modem. I am clearly registered with Verizon.
The walled garden is disabled by either working through the registration process and allowing it to set up the "modem" for you, (note: the downloading of any software is not necessary and can be avoided by choosing Custom Installation and carefully de-selecting everything on all subsequent screens.),
Thanks! I wish I had seen this before I tackled the third 7500.
or by visiting 192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm, which should show a "Restricted" page with a disable button at the bottom.
Failure to reach that page, (which is local to the 7500, at 192.168.1.1), while being able to access the modem GUI, does indicate a Firmware fault.
Which of course is exactly what was happening. I verified time and again that I was not making a typo and in fact, read the URL slowly to the Verizon tech to make sure that it was correct. I used tcpdump to watch the transaction and got this:
15:06:05.641455 IP 192.168.1.1.80 > 192.168.1.24.49200: P 1:333(332) ack 380 win 54 <nop,n
op,timestamp 1016081 619613850>
E.....@.@............P.0z.Q.iRs....6.<.....
....$...HTTP/1.1 404 Site or Page Not Found
Server: GoAhead-Webs
Date: Sat Jan  1 01:24:39 2000
Pragma: no-cache
Cache-Control: no-cache
Content-Type: text/html

<html><head><title>Document Error: Site or Page Not Found</title></head>
                <body><h2>Access Error: Site or Page Not Found</h2>
                <p>Cannot open URL</p></body></html>

The reply is clearly coming back from the modem.

If you flash the firmware, be sure to download the firmware file to your computer and cause the 7500 to do a Local Update.
Hopefully the "new" one works out better for you!
It didn't :( I have worked over 5 hours on this. I tried everything I could think of - removing the hosts file, telling MacOS there was no domain, using DHCP instead of static IP (I have several computers, servers, networked printers, etc so static works better than DHCP), resetting the modem 10 times, making sure the internet light was on before powering up my laptop, studying the routing table in the 7500, etc. Trying to reach the walled garden only returned the above error and the Verizon install software (SmartAccess) hung at 50% each time. I looked at the http traffic when SmartAccess ran and saw the redirect to 184.16.6.69 and a huge batch of xml configuration stuff sent and saw that site return this:
15:05:36.827637 IP 184.16.6.69.80 > 192.168.1.24.49199: P 26:193(167) ack 123014 win 63117 <nop,nop,timestamp 11149590 619613552>
E...
..6..I....f.......//
..!.$..pHTTP/1.1 201 OK
Content-Type: text/html
Connection: close
Content-Length: 84

SUBMISSION-STATUS: OK
UNPACK-STATUS: OK
PARSE-STATUS: OK
DB_INSERT-STATUS: OK

Looks like the site was happy but still SmartAccess hung there. Looked to me like not only was the 7500 firmware broken, so was Verizon's Mac installer. So before I reflash, I went out and borrowed a W2K laptop. Still I couldn't reach the walled garden, but I guess you would expect that. And I couldn't use the activation page because the laptop had IE5. Back to the 327W, download and install IE6, back to the 7500 and go to the activation page. I install the software, and after a while I have an internet connection. Woohoo! Since I didn't read your message first, the laptop now has Verizon internet crap on it and I don't know what to remove. But the good news is that the 7500 is working. The bad news is that the firmware (and the 7500 reports that it is the latest) is busted and so is the Mac version of SmartAccess. So good luck to other Mac users who want to use Verizon! I had a similar problem when I had Comcast, but I called and they tech made the database insertions, flipped a switch, and I was online. No problems. If it wasn't twice as much as Verizon I would switch back in a heartbeat. My wife has been beating me up because we never had any trouble with Comcast. I changed to Verizon to save money.

Bytebender
Premium
Canada

1 edit

So now you have to spend that saved money on a romantic dinner and some flowers ?
Locate and Delete the entire Verizon folder on the computer, (possibly via Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs). It won't bother or hinder the connection or the service in any way, as all configuration is of course held in the "modem", but it will remove all their software. Not sure if it will undo the re-branding of the IE though.
--
reboot, reset, reconfigure, then recycle.

gearheadgeek

Goshen, IN

said by Bytebender:

So now you have to spend that saved money on a romantic dinner and some flowers ?
She will be happy again! She relies on Skype to stay in touch with her daughters back in Ukraine.
Locate and Delete the entire Verizon folder on the computer, (possibly via Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs). It won't bother or hinder the connection or the service in any way, as all configuration is of course held in the "modem", but it will remove all their software. Not sure if it will undo the re-branding of the IE though.
Thanks again! The more removed the better - I have to return the laptop and am a bit embarrassed about putting junk on it.

Maybe I can do this next time running W2K in a VM on my Mac. God forbid I should have to reset the 7500

Bytebender
Premium
Canada

Yikes, let's hope not.

All the best.