how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mp

@shawcable.net

1 recommendation

[BC] Shaw Connection Problems to Some Sites

I have a weird shaw problem. I cant connect to some websites, but most work fine. The biggest problem is I cant connect to www.wikipedia.org. I am in N Bby and my friend in Vancouver (on shaw) can connect fine. When I ping www.wikipedia.org, the dns resolves fine but it will always say timed out, whereas for my friend it resolves to the same ip address but it connects.
I tried multiple computers at my house, and directly connected them to the modem (no router) and still the same problem. I turned off all windows firewall, antivirus, etc and still same problem.
As I mentioned that most other sites work fine, but quite a few dont work, or take minutes to establish a connection.

I phoned shaw support and they said it must be my computer or antivirus since other sites (namely www.shaw.ca) works fine.
Anyone else experiencing this, or know how to fix it?
thanks

Computim

join:2003-05-30
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah it seems to be some westcoast peering with shaw or something. I can connect via chicago to US sites but anything on the west coast seems to be out for me (I'm in Winnipeg), including Wikipedia/Xbox's us forums/Xbox Live..etc. I VPN'd down to a buddy in the states and was able to connect just fine. Hopefully they'll be able to fix it soon.

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
kudos:2
something's definately broken in shawland.
Tracing route to wikipedia.org [208.80.152.2]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     3 ms     2 ms     4 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    18 ms    31 ms    20 ms  rd1so-ge5-0-0-1.cg.shawcable.net [64.59.139.67]

4    14 ms    12 ms    15 ms  rc2so-tge0-7-2-0.cg.shawcable.net [66.163.71.129]
  5    28 ms    29 ms    36 ms  rc1nr-tge0-9-1-0.wp.shawcable.net [66.163.77.30]

6    31 ms    35 ms    29 ms  rc2sc-tge0-7-1-0.wp.shawcable.net [66.163.73.186]
  7    57 ms    52 ms    53 ms  rc1sh-pos15-0.mt.shawcable.net [66.163.76.221]
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13  ^C

Avrus

@shawcable.net
reply to mp
Having the same issue in Calgary. Using www.curse.com as a test it's failing at:

1 cat6509-vlan2.edm.tera-byte.com (216.234.161.1) 0.541 ms
2 *
3 rc3ar-ge0-8-2-3.ed.shawcable.net (66.163.70.5) 1.130 ms
4 rc1we-tge0-8-4-0.ed.shawcable.net (66.163.70.37) 1.957 ms
5 rc2sc-tge0-8-0-0.wp.shawcable.net (66.163.77.189) 19.093 ms
6 rc1sh-pos15-0.mt.shawcable.net (66.163.76.221) 43.183 ms

Getting ping spikes, random download errors and disconnects. Issue has been ongoing since yesterday and they tried to blame my router.

AnonShawUser

join:2006-06-17
Calgary, AB
reply to mp
Yep, having problems reaching the Gawker media sites (Kotaku/lifehacker/gizmodo and the like).

Failing at the same place as the one just above me. Seems to be a routing issue.

Avicennasis

join:2010-04-07
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to mp
I have had some fellow editors report the same thing. I have sent an email to their online support and ISPadmin... We'll see what happens.

dfloer

join:2003-06-12
Burnaby, BC
reply to mp
Nothing odd going on here with Shaw in North Burnaby. You absolutely sure there isn't a virus?
Note, I do not use Shaw's DNS servers (I use 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2) and I run my own DNS cache. Snort also isn't seeing anything odd (or odder than normal) going on with attacks or anything like that. Took a quick look over it manually, and things seem to be working fine.

SJPF

@shawcable.net
reply to mp
We're in Vancouver and cannot connect to a few sites that are being served from the US mid-west area.

trance1

@shawcable.net
reply to mp
agh can't connect to steam and some sites now. weird never seen this on shaw before

WDL

@shawcable.net
reply to mp
Called Shaw and this is what they said...

Julio #2072 (17:03:34):
The news so far is :Other web sites like wikipedia.org and some foreign sites are not accessible. Appears that a server that runs through our network/ physical location actually being New York had some malfunction and they are attempting to get the parts fixed as soon as possible.

Julio #2072 (17:04:52):
The Internet as a whole is hard to break its usually pieces of it like network servers that have heart attacks.

- Shaw Support

mp

@shawcable.net
reply to dfloer
said by dfloer:

Nothing odd going on here with Shaw in North Burnaby. You absolutely sure there isn't a virus?
Note, I do not use Shaw's DNS servers (I use 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2) and I run my own DNS cache. Snort also isn't seeing anything odd (or odder than normal) going on with attacks or anything like that. Took a quick look over it manually, and things seem to be working fine.
I phoned shaw tech support again, and the tech said he also cannot get to wikipedia.org from his downtown vancouver support center. He said he got an email about the problem earlier in the day.
I tried from my work computer in Yaletown (also on shaw) and its working there.

trance

@shawcable.net
reply to mp
bah still not working

argggh

@shawcable.net
reply to mp
Similar problem here in Victoria, B.C. I can't get to the consumerist.com, lotro.com, curse.com and some others. Wikipedia works though? Either way obviously some peer connection is down. Or something is on fire.

Computim

Winnipeg, MB
reply to mp
Yeah Wikipedia's finally working for me again, Xbox Live is down, steam's back up, Star Trek Online's down haha

luma
Premium
join:2004-08-17
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to mp
Having the same problems in Port Coquitlam.

VERY strange problems.

get this I have a dedicated server in Chicago that runs VM's.
I can access vm1 (ip finishes in 121)
but I can't ping vm2 (122) and vm3 (123)

that is screwed up!

Luma

Computim

Winnipeg, MB

1 edit
reply to mp
My internet's back to working again, looks like the problems have been fixed. Can't complain about the timing, it's faster than a ticket would have been fixed on one of my webhosting servers haha

Edit: Or not.. couple sites still not working (AKA Mass Effect 2 servers) haha. But majority seems to be good.

Trance

@shawcable.net
reply to mp
not working here in vancouver, bc.

I SHOULD'VE BEEN OWNING NOOBS IN TEAM FORTRESS 2 TWO HOURS AGO DAMN IT

arggh

@shawcable.net
reply to mp
Hmm, mine is partially fixed but some issues still. Can't connect to some sites and games. Guess they're still working on it.

trance1

@shawcable.net
reply to mp
finally working now but it's bed time for me now

westender

@shawcable.net
reply to mp
Here in the West End (Downtown), some sites haven't been working since I woke up this morning, and still aren't working. Only some sites though. At first I was like... wow, this site went down fast! Then after a couple more sites seemed down I was like hmm... DNS flush... then I tried resetting modem... then I remembered DSLreports haha, thank goodness.

Hmm... what could possibly have gone wrong at Shaw?

luma
Premium
join:2004-08-17
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to mp
Seems fine for me now.

hdpoint
Lethbridge, Alberta

join:2009-03-02
Canada
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
reply to mp
Last night in Lethbridge, Alberta, the speeds were all over the place. Wikipedia worked, however YouTube was flakey and not loading the videos properly. Cleared cache, reset modem and router and that did not help.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one with issues last night.

BTW: I did have these issues when I was with Telus, so I'm thinking it is just the "internet" that goes down in parts of the world sometimes and takes a few days to recover.