uniqs

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

I am planning a project: shoot for a week with a 50MM only

I have a Canon 50MM f/1.8. I got it second hand for $90CDN (when $1CDN was about $ 0.80 US). I know it is great for optics and for DoF. So I am planning (when it stops raining!) to shoot for several days using only this lens. I got a bit inspired by an article in DigitalSLR Mag (UK mag).

Anyone else done something similar to this? Tips?

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

Are you on a crop or 1.6x body? 50mm is an odd (long) length as a solo lens on a 1.6x. You'll find some shots fairly difficult to make, especially indoors.

Chuck22
Premium Member
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT

Chuck22

Premium Member

said by drew:

50mm is an odd (long) length as a solo lens on a 1.6x.
What he said. I gave away my Canon 50mm f/1.8 and replaced it with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 -- very satisfied -- best thing I've done in quite a while

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

It makes for a fantastic (IMO) yet very inexpensive portrait lens though.

Just from a creative standpoint, it's long. pretty darn long unless you want that long.

But don't let me dissuade you, please do it. And share your results with us!

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

I realize that is it not 50 on a 1.6x, but that is partially the point. I have the lens and what to see what *I* can do to work around it.

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

SueS

Premium Member

Please share your results. I think this will be interesting. I don't think I have a single image taken on my crop camera at 50mm.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by SueS:

Please share your results. I think this will be interesting. I don't think I have a single image taken on my crop camera at 50mm.
I will post some. It is supposed to rain to another few days. Remember 50 = 80 at 1.6x

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

Trust me, a 50 is a hell of a lot better on full frame.

Before I had my D700, my 50 would almost never make it on my camera, now it's there most of the time.

On the other hand though, I've seen a few photographers create amazing pictures with just a 50 1.8 on a "crap body".
29886823 (banned)
join:2005-03-29

29886823 (banned) to donoreo

to donoreo
A 50mm lens is still a 50mm lens, no matter what the crop factor is. What you're looking at is a smaller field of view, making the 50mm multiplied by the crop factor look like a longer focal length. There will also be perspective changes depending upon distance.
Actually, if I remember right, all lenses taking images from the same place show the same perspective, but show different fields of view, and moving closer or further can keep the field of view constant across lenses, but will change the perspective.

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium Member
join:2005-02-05
Knowlton, QC

kewlkeed to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
I dunno about anyone else... But donoreo, get that thing on your cam for a week and go wild with it!

I did the same thing when I got mine and I STILL to this day love that lens more than any other. It just surprises me some times when I see what it can do.

YES I would kinda like it to be a little wider when used on a crop sensor, but there's still no bashing it, the lens is amazing.

My next lens for a crop sensor would be a 30mm just for that fact but daaaamn I love the 50.

pwnage
Powdered Toast Man
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20
ComeByChance

pwnage to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
i have a crop body rebel xs and i've had the 1.8 for about a year now and i've taken a 1000 pictures easy with it...love it...i'll admit most of my shots are tight indoors, but i find that better, no background mess in the shots, i have 2 kids and they move around, so i needed a faster shutter speed without going to flash than the stock lens could do. at 1.8 and ISO 400, works great for low light situations.

so go for it....1.8 or bust
pwnage

pwnage

Premium Member

do you have a linky
inspired by an article in DigitalSLR Mag (UK mag).

JRSlater
What's that smell? Oh, it's you.
Premium Member
join:2008-01-11
Out There

JRSlater to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Sounds like a lot of fun and a really fun challenge. I have two 50mm 1.8 II's and really like them. As mentioned already on a full frame, it's more amazing. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. The next challenge should be shooting with the 50mm but only at f1.8.
29886823 (banned)

1 recommendation

to donoreo
I think that if you're interested in a "50mm" look, you would be better off with a 35mm on a crop camera, giving you somewhere around a 50mm field of view. Years ago in the film era we all had basically 35mm, 55mm, 85mm, 105mm and 135mm as 'standard' focal lengths. Almost any good zoom today serves the same purpose, and I can't see what is gained by restricting yourself to one focal length, unless you like walking around to compose your image. Sometimes it just doesn't work.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

1 recommendation

donoreo

Premium Member

To all the people tell me "you need this lens instead", you are missing the point. I have the 50, I am going to use it and not change lenses and take pics where I probably would change lenses. Get it?

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

Get off your duff and go take some pictures

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to pwnage

Premium Member

to pwnage
said by pwnage:

do you have a linky
inspired by an article in DigitalSLR Mag (UK mag).
The article is not on line, but here is a link to the summary of the issue: »www.digitalslrphoto.com/ ··· sue.html

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
I agree with your comments. I shot for years on a 35mm SLR with a single lens (55mm). Not having other lengths available makes you think. Working with a box camera (fixed lens, fixed aperture, fixed shutter) really makes the "little gray cells" work. It's all about the equipment behind the viewfinder.

Now, modifying what Sweet Witch See Profile said, "Get off your duff and go see what you can do with that lens."

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
said by Sweet Witch:

Get off your duff and go take some pictures
Raining, a lot, again Tomorrow looks promising, but cold.

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium Member
Knowlton, QC

kewlkeed to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
This almost sounds like a challenge...

I might just have to do the same and see what I can do. There isn't much for color here as we're still just dead grass and dirt as the snow has just melted. But I'm sure I could pull off something.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

I wonder if donoreo See Profile would be willing to host a "challenge" thread that gives people the same challenge he's gotten and people are encouraged to post their 3-5 best shots for peer review
29886823 (banned)

1 edit

to donoreo
Nope. This was in answer to: "To all the people tell me "you need this lens instead", you are missing the point. I have the 50, I am going to use it and not change lenses and take pics where I probably would change lenses. Get it?"

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation to kewlkeed

Premium Member

to kewlkeed
said by kewlkeed:

There isn't much for color here as we're still just dead grass and dirt as the snow has just melted. But I'm sure I could pull off something.
Look what Ansel Adams did with fixed length lenses and B&W. Go for it!

nklb
Premium Member
join:2000-11-17
Ann Arbor, MI

nklb to drew

Premium Member

to drew
said by drew:

I wonder if donoreo See Profile would be willing to host a "challenge" thread that gives people the same challenge he's gotten and people are encouraged to post their 3-5 best shots for peer review
I second this: a series of "technical challenge" threads similar to the current scavenger hunt would be nice. The theme picked each time could be something like a specific focal length, a specific type of shot (such as long shutter night scenes or high speed or shots taken on a tripod while disobeying the 1/focal length shutter speed rule).

That could lead to some interesting scenarios!

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium Member
Knowlton, QC

kewlkeed to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
donoreo
If you're up for hosting it, I'll gladly give it a shot.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Ok, I have not participated in any of the other challenge threads.

What should I do, a new thread with the challenge? 50MM photos only, FF or crop, but the lens is a 50 (how about set to 50, allow that?) Should it be time limited? How long?

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

Those are all good questions.

I say focus this first "challenge" to be just like the one you were self-inflicting from the magazine.

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium Member
Knowlton, QC

kewlkeed to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
-I'd say 50mm prime of some kind. Not just a set zoom. Makes people REALLY need to think while stuck in the box.
-Content, anything goes.
-FF and Crop allowed.
-Time limited, 2 Weeks? (I find one week ones suck a bit just for the fact that weather/time might not be on the side)

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe to drew

Premium Member

to drew
Don't forget that not all of us have a 400mm+ lens

But seriously, I'd participate on a 50mm challenge

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

As would I. I haven't been feeling inspired lately.