spc
Search similar:

uniqs

DayWalkerz
@centurytel.net

DayWalkerz

Anon

Mexico will shutdown 25.9 million cell phones

Several months ago, as a way to prevent the use of cellular in criminal activities, the government of Mexico started a program to force everyone to register their cell phones to their name. »pixelaris.wordpress.com/ ··· por-sms/ The register consists in associate the cell phone to their CURP. The CURP or Clave Unica de Registro de Registro de Problación, or Unique key of population register, is supposed to be an unique ID for every Mexican citizen. ( »curp.troyaestrategias.co ··· curp.htm ) But yesterday the time line to register the cell phones has expire and so far there are 39 millions of Cell phones without register. While the procedure is simple, sending a text message with the CURP to a special number, most people do not want to register, some has been wary of the use the government will do with the data, others did not understand or did not know the procedure. So far only 69% have register, most of then in the last few days, while the system to register has been over saturated. So in and unprecedented move for any country, the Mexican government is announcing the shutdown 25.9 millions of cell phone lines. Meanwhile, as a measure of protest, hundreds of people have register their cell phones, to the name of the president of Mexico, Felipe Calderon Hinojosa, to show how pointless is the register..."
»slashdot.org/submission/ ··· l-phones
»www.jornada.unam.mx/2010 ··· 024n1eco
If this happened around the globe many would get rid of the cell for good. I know some who cant live without it but if the president asked for the US to do it, I would sign it up in his name too.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

Robert

Premium Member

I don't understand the point of the registration? If the U.S. Federal government wants to know my name, based on my cell phone number, all they have to do is issue a warrant(less) to my mobile carrier.

Here's a idea: Stop allowing pre-paid/reloadable cell phones that can be purchased for $10 dollars at the local gas station.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned) to DayWalkerz

to DayWalkerz
If the majority is using GSM then forget it. There are ways around it, because all you have to do is pop in a different pre-paid SIM card to your phone. CDMA is more tricky, as there is no SIM card and the phone can be blacklisted because it's all hardwired into the phone.

Its a Secret
Please speak into the microphone
Premium Member
join:2008-02-23
Da wet coast

1 edit

Its a Secret

Premium Member

You can blacklist an IMEI, as well. Same gig. People will find a way around it though. I've seen cells registered as Donald or Daisy Duck, Rocky Stallone etc.
DarkSithPro (banned)
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned)

said by Its a Secret:

You ca blacklist an IMEI, as well. Same gig.
I don't think that even matters, as you can buy heaps on cheapo 10 dollar phones from stores and ebay.

Its a Secret
Premium Member
Da wet coast

Its a Secret

Premium Member

Precisely. People will find a way around it.
DarkSithPro (banned)
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned)

said by Its a Secret:

If it was all CDMA they might actually accomplish something, heh...

Daywalkerz
@centurytel.net

Daywalkerz to Its a Secret

Anon

to Its a Secret
said by Its a Secret:

In my opinion you could say this does little to affect real criminals but looks all sweet on the surface. Kind of like M$ genuine scheme as it only hurts the real users but then after all who wants to register for a crime they haven't committed yet.

I'm off to get some more popcorn...

Its a Secret
Premium Member
Da wet coast

Its a Secret to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
said by DarkSithPro:

If it was all CDMA they might actually accomplish something, heh...
The bad news is you can clone CDMA ESN's if they are in analog mode.
DarkSithPro (banned)
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned)

Analog mode? What's that?

Its a Secret
Premium Member
Da wet coast

Its a Secret

Premium Member

Many people from the US and Canada take their cells to Mexico, but they only operate in analog. That becomes a problem. Or, a benefit.
DarkSithPro (banned)
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

DarkSithPro (banned)

said by Its a Secret:

Many people from the US and Canada take their cells to Mexico, but they only operate in analog. That becomes a problem. Or, a benefit.
About as much privacy as a CB radio, lol...
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to DayWalkerz

to DayWalkerz
Even in Mexico 25.9 million phones are not used by criminals.

It would just be an extra headachce for the major Mexican telecoms. Some of those are run by billionaires with connections.

Potty Time
join:2005-07-03
united state

Potty Time to DayWalkerz

to DayWalkerz
Who needs cell phones anyway? All these I-Phones and Blackberries and Androids, just another way for the government to track what we're doing at any point in time. I wouldn't even own a landline if child services didn't force me to!

Ryan
Premium Member
join:2001-03-03
Boston, MA

1 recommendation

Ryan

Premium Member

said by Potty Time:

Who needs cell phones anyway? All these I-Phones and Blackberries and Androids, just another way for the government to track what we're doing at any point in time. I wouldn't even own a landline if child services didn't force me to!
Agreed. You probably shouldnt use the internet either.
38632383 (banned)
join:2009-09-25
Houston, TX

38632383 (banned) to nonymous

to nonymous
said by nonymous:

It would just be an extra headachce for the major Mexican telecoms. Some of those are run by billionaires with connections.
There is only one cell phone company and the billionaire who owns it, Carlos Slim, beat Bill Gates out of being the world's richest man last year. As soon as he gets wind of this he will pay the government a bit more than what the US gubbermint payed to have this asinine project hatched. Problem solved. Welcome to Mexico, you ignorant gringos.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to DayWalkerz

Premium Member

to DayWalkerz
I register my phones under the name "FunnyBones".

Its a Secret
Premium Member
Da wet coast

Its a Secret

Premium Member

said by dave:

I think the name has been taken...

Speaking of that, I wonder where is FB is? Haven't seen them for ages it seems. A 'Permanent Vacation'?

FunnyBonesT8
@kapper.net

1 recommendation

FunnyBonesT8

Anon

said by Its a Secret:

said by dave:

I think the name has been taken...

Speaking of that, I wonder where is FB is? Haven't seen them for ages it seems. A 'Permanent Vacation'?
Could be but then what am I'm doing browsing bbr at this time of the day.

I will say that I left of my own free will.