share rss forum feed

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

1 recommendation

CyberDefender scareware scams being advertised on TV/Radio

You might have seen or heard ads saying that if your email takes more than 3 seconds to load, your computer is slow, you experience crashes and popups, etc., that these are signs of a virus and that you should go to either www.mycleanpc.com or www.maxmyspeed.com for a free online scan.

Both of these sites are fronts for CyberDefender, a rogue security product known for hijacking peoples' computers and being a huge scam. It has a lot of complaints here: »www.complaintsboard.com/complain···821.html

Changing the name of the site pushing this rogue seems to be an attempt to hide itself from potential victims. Both mycleanpc.com and maxmyspeed.com get poor reputations on WOT (Web Of Trust) for phishing or other scams, though the latter site's reputation is skewed upward a bit by the number of paid shills posting positive comments about it.

»www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www.mycleanpc.com

»www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www.m···peed.com
--
"The trouble with computers, of course, is that they are very sophisticated idiots." - Doctor Who (from Robot)

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

I've been seeing a lot of commercials for www.mycleanpc.com lately. Every time I see one I wonder how many people are being suckered in at that moment.

nycdonot

@verizon.net
reply to Doctor Four

well any tv or radio station that sells this scam is just as guilty and hard up for cash as the company that advertises it. I have seen the tv ad on directv and i laugh at it and just mute or change it.i know better thanks to this site and it's info.Funny they are running the tv/radio ads and nobody from consumer affairs of the FTC see it. hello wake-up!!!.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Doctor Four

They stop other things, why isn't the FCC shutting them down?

BKayrac
Premium
join:2001-09-29
Madison, WI

1 recommendation

reply to nycdonot

said by nycdonot :

well any tv or radio station that sells this scam is just as guilty and hard up for cash as the company that advertises it. I have seen the tv ad on directv and i laugh at it and just mute or change it.i know better thanks to this site and it's info.Funny they are running the tv/radio ads and nobody from consumer affairs of the FTC see it. hello wake-up!!!.
most companies playing this ad do not know anything about computers, much less what a scam these are, they get paid and move on..........occasionally calling the station gets the ads removed, sometimes that is

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
reply to Doctor Four

Kind of reminds me of the Stopsign and Barracuda Spam & Firewall ads on late night tv.

mikkopel

join:2002-10-25
Haverstraw, NY

Barracuda had ads on late night tv? I just keep feeling better and better for giving them the boot years ago...

Rebirth

join:2009-06-18
reply to Doctor Four

Click for full size
Are those CNET, USAtoday, Compworld promos for real ?

Downloaded both files from www.mycleanpc.com and www.maxmyspeed.com

File Name: InstallCyberDefenderREG-015239.exe = v6.1.20.1

»virscan.org/report/6882fd82ca8f3···0d3.html

Not one detect out of 36 AV's, even though it had been scanned before ?

The other one which i didn't upload is a slightly different File Name: InstallCyberDefenderREG-016707.exe = v5.11.4.1

Prevx on the other hand does detect both of them, but as exactly the same threat, which i suppose they are.

Verisign doesn't seem to mind doing business with them ?

www.mycleanpc.com www.maxmyspeed.com

Terms of Service

CyberDefender Corporation
617 West 7th Street
Suite 401
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Attn: Business Affairs
Fax: (213) 689-8639

( CyberDefender does not stipulate that it is a service provider as defined in 17 U.S.C. 512 (c) or elsewhere in the law. )

Not a service provider, well they got that right anyway !

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to nycdonot

quote:
well any tv or radio station that sells this scam is just as guilty and hard up for cash as the company that advertises it.
Its not surprising an MSM agency would air crap like this.....

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX
reply to Doctor Four

Looks like bogus reviews to me. And, yes, there is a CyberDefender product (their AntiSpyware 2009) on CNET being offered for download. It has a rating of three stars there, but you have to take that with a grain of salt as they appear to be allowing a large number of shill reviews giving this 5 stars. For the real story, look at the number of one star reviews calling this scamware, malware in the guise of anti-malware, and so on.

So why hasn't CNET pulled this from their site yet? Maybe they are being paid a lot of money by CyberDefender to advertise it on their site.
--
"The trouble with computers, of course, is that they are very sophisticated idiots." - Doctor Who (from Robot)

Blue2
Premium
join:2004-04-14
France
kudos:1
reply to beck

said by beck:

They stop other things, why isn't the FCC shutting them down?
Perhaps because no one is complaining to them.

I believe that they move based on how many complaints they receive. So if they received enough reports, they'd investigate. »esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm