spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sean206

@clearwire-wmx.net

How fast is the 12-15 Mbps plan? (Future Comcast Customer)

I am getting comcast this week. On friday someone will come here and set up the internet, phone and cable for me.

My old ISP is clear and my download speed was 5Mbps Down and I think 1 Mbps Up but it never reaches those numbers. Online gaming wasn't a great experience for me with Clear. Is the 12-15 Mbps plan with Comcast a noticeable difference.

The highest I ever got with Clear when downloading movies or songs was 350-400 kb/sec. On average it's 80-110 kb/sec.

How fast is comcast in terms of downloading with the 12-15 mbps plan? I know I won't get the full 12-15 mbps but what can I expect?

How is gaming and how is streaming?

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium
join:2009-01-17
kudos:3

1 edit

You will see at least 13,200 kbps down and 2,200 kbps upstream. Powerboost will give you somewehre around 16m down and 4m up but if you can find a source that will deliver the speed, you will definately see it. Streaming is great, both with netflix and youtube. I can't speak for gaming though. I am assuming Clear is DSL? If so, and assuming it was interleaved, you will also see a drastic improvement in latency.

EG See Profile is correct, I shouldn't "guarantee" anything

but if your install tech verifies the correct signal levels, then in all probability you will have a very good connection

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

2 edits
reply to sean206

Just for clarity, the "Powerboost" feature is a short lived burst of speed at the beginning of file downloads and uploads and is not sustained speed. As far as your sustained speeds go, I would have say a maybe rather than a definite "you will".

sean206

@clearwire-wmx.net
reply to sean206

so how fast would a 100MB file take to download on average?

sean206

@clearwire-wmx.net
reply to sean206

So Ted when I download files I should average around 13,200 KB/sec right?

dopeboy206

join:2009-05-06
reply to sean206

Okay I am getting the $99.99 triple play plan with comcast. Anyone know how fast is the internet speed? The guy I spoke to said I should be getting 12-15 mbps. But I don't know if he is just trying to make a sell or if he is telling me the truth.

Btw I am OP. This is my dslreport account.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1

Your Triple Play has the "Performance" level of service, which in most areas is 12/2.
--
[Insert CC employee disclaimer here.]

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium
join:2009-01-17
kudos:3
reply to sean206

said by sean206 :

I can grab a well-seeded torrent or a file from a FAST server in roughly a minute 100MB*8=800mb/60sec~12mb/s

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to sean206

said by sean206 :

There are a lot of variables, but I'd guesstimate about a minute.
--

dopeboy206

1 edit
reply to sean206

So if I have the 12 down 2 up plan than why did the guy say 12-15mbps. I knew the comcast guy was pulling my leg because he said if I wanted to upgrade to the 16mbps plan he'll add $10 to the bill.

So is this 12 down 2 up plan good for streaming and playing online games, downloading songs and movies? What download speeds should I expect?

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA

With PowerBoost you'll get about 16/4, but BowerBoost is only temporary - your sustained speeds are about 12/2.
--

dopeboy206

reply to sean206

So wait with performance I can still get powerboost/

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA

Yes, Performance has PB. 12/2 sustained, 16/4ish w/PB.
--

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to sean206

To give you an idea, here's my most recent test>

This is Blast 16/2 tier w/ Powerboost. ShaperProbe (a very useful tool) has my flat rate at about 17/2 once PB subsides. This is w/ a Motorola sb5101 and Netgear router.

Gaming is fine, we run XBL & PSN here. Transfer rates for DL's will have variables depending on what you're doing. I don't do Torrent stuff so I can only go by my driver DL's from Nvidia which will top my max rate at about 1.9-2.1 KB/s, which confirs w/ ShaperProbe.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to sean206

Back when I was on the Performance tier, I would get speedtests of 22/4 mbps all day long. Real world downloads were steady at about 1.6 megabytes per second and uploads were about 250 kilobytes per second.

You wont be able to go back to Clear.

dopeboy206

reply to sean206

Can any gamers share their expierience online whether its xbox live or playstation network? How was the gaming experience?

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by dopeboy206:

Can any gamers share their expierience online whether its xbox live or playstation network? How was the gaming experience?
Our experience here has been fine, have been w/ Comcast since last summer, before was running 6M DSL for years. On Blast tier, area on DOC 3. Using my own equip, Moto sb5101 (soon to be the 6120) w a Netgear router.

XBL, PSN, no probs. There are certainly others who will have different experiences in different areas w/ either cable or DSL, so all you can really do is give it a try.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to dopeboy206

said by dopeboy206:

No problems with Xbox Live here. I've been gaming over my Comcast 6/1 connection for years. Only time there were problems was when the drop line to my house was failing and causing signal degradation. Otherwise it's been great.

Incidentally, Comcast's Performance tier is still 6/1 here. I think the DOCSIS 3 upgrade crews forgot about us.
--
"I'll follow the law until it's just stupid." -Ted Nugent

rideboarder
welcome to the social
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Snohomish, WA
reply to sean206

I just switched from Verizon DSL (3/768k) to Comcast (12/2) last weekend. So far downloads are a breeze for the computer. I used to get ~350 kb/sec like you do, and now it goes as high as 1900 kb/sec and stays at about 1500-1600 kb/sec consistently.

And yes xbox live did improve as well! In MW2 the multiplayer connection is always on 5 bars now, whereas before it would go between 3 and 5 all the time. (I was on Fastpath DSL, not interleave). Downloads are quicker too from the xbox, as well as streaming Netflix is now in HD, and before I was never able to get HD.

So you'll definitely be happy with the 12/2 from Comcast.

muranternet

join:2009-10-19
Saint Paul, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to sean206

said by sean206 :

Download on a 12 megabit line sustained translates to about 1.5 megabytes per second. Bits / 8 = Bytes. Slightly over a minute for a 100MB file. I have 12Mbps service and that's what I reliably get after powerboost.

dopeboy206

reply to sean206

One quick question. I have 1 desktop in the living room, 1 laptop, 1 Xbox 360 in my room and a PS3 in the living room.

If I am gaming online with my xbox360, my son is on the ps3 online and someone else is on the laptop and my brother is on the desktop. To makes things simple if everyone is on at once will there be a lag when playing games online?

rideboarder
welcome to the social
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Snohomish, WA

We routinely have someone playing xbox live, someone watching videos online/downloading files, and someone browsing the net and so far it hasn't impacted the online gaming. As long as you're not maxing out the connection on the computers you should be ok. I'd just avoid using torrents while playing xbox, since those really slow things down.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to dopeboy206

I agree with rideboarder See Profile; you shouldn't have any problems unless somebody is using torrents with a bandwidth-unrestricted client.

If someone wants to use torrents, make them use a client (such as µTorrent) that can restrict the allowable bandwidth by time of day. Then set it to a modest amount during daytime hours so it doesn't overpower everything else, and let it go faster overnight when no one else will be using the connection for anything.

My wife routinely surfs the web, watches streaming video or even uses BitTorrent while I'm playing games on my Xbox, and I don't have any issues. I have her torrent client set to use half of our available upstream and about 65% of our available downstream.
--
"I'll follow the law until it's just stupid." -Ted Nugent

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to dopeboy206

said by dopeboy206:

One quick question. I have 1 desktop in the living room, 1 laptop, 1 Xbox 360 in my room and a PS3 in the living room.

If I am gaming online with my xbox360, my son is on the ps3 online and someone else is on the laptop and my brother is on the desktop. To makes things simple if everyone is on at once will there be a lag when playing games online?
Seems that this would also depend on what the router is capable of delivering.

dopeboy206

what router will comcast give me when they come set it up?

dopeboy206

reply to sean206

anymore gamers want to share their experience?

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to sean206

said by sean206 :

Well, when you download, you see speeds in kilo/megabytes/sec, but ISP's advertise their speeds in kilo/megabits/sec. A byte is 1/8 of a bit so the actual speeds you see will be much smaller than Comcast's advertised speeds.
--
»Please vote for my sister's band

dopeboy206

1 edit

Sorry I am bad at math. What speeds should I expect with my 12/2 service.

in terms of: (???? kb/sec transfer rate)

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

said by dopeboy206:

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What are the actual Provisioned Speeds?
YMMV
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to dopeboy206

said by dopeboy206:

Here's a nice easy online bandwith calculator/converter;

»www.easycalculation.com/bandwidt···ator.php