how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

moko

join:2002-12-22
Fayetteville, GA

sprint usb modem with a router?

my friend has a usb connect internet...and she wants to move the modem to another room...that has a better signal....and then connect her pc with an ethernet cable.....can she do this? is their a router with a usb port that the modem could pass internet into ...and then use the ports and wireless to connect other pc's in the house

xrayman

join:2008-12-09
Kansas City
kudos:1

Get a Cradlepoint, very good product, very good support for new modems, long track record with this type of router for use with USB modems. Other routers you may find can be lower cost but you may not be happy with results. The MBR900 has 4 ports, and is a B, G, N WiFi router with good range. The Cradlepoint CTR-350 Router has B and G WiFi and only one wired LAN port, it has short WiFi range. I use the CRT350 with two wired switches to reach 5 desk top computers and two WiFi laptops. wirelessnwifi.com is a good company to buy from.
»www.wirelessnwifi.com/Cradlepoint-MBR900
»www.wirelessnwifi.com/Cradlepoint-CTR350

moko

join:2002-12-22
Fayetteville, GA

thanks.....so i just plug my usb modem into these routers....and i can run an ethernet from the router to my pc....or from router to a switch....then to other pc's?

xrayman

join:2008-12-09
Kansas City
kudos:1

said by moko:

thanks.....so i just plug my usb modem into these routers....and i can run an ethernet from the router to my pc....or from router to a switch....then to other pc's?
Yes you can.

caribconsult
Premium
join:2003-03-19
Mayaguez, PR
Reviews:
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to moko

I'm not sure if they still offer it, but the Cradlepoint CTR500 is a good device. It does have somewhat limited WiFi power, even with an external antenna, so for that reason I disabled the WiFi and use my existing LinkSys router and wireless access point for WiFi, but the CTR is the network router, hands out DHCP addresses, and in all other respects works very nicely with no problems so far. You might find one of these for a reasonable price on EBay.
--
Sierra 598U/Cradlepoint CTR500, grid antenna, Millenicom unlimited, 2 LinkSys WiFi a/p, 4 XPPro and 1 Ubuntu units, FireFox everywhere.

lurklarry

@spcsdns.net

I called Wirelessnwifi and ordered the CTR500 on Saturday afternoon, $99.99 after rebate!
www.wirelessnwifi.com/Cradlepoint-CTR500'

Got it this morning (Monday) already, plugged and played !

Thanks for the tip Xrayman, these guys are seriously dialed in! I am impressed!