join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

4 edits

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

[CATV] Rovi Passport IPG User Guides for Cox SA/Cisco DVR/STB

Click for full size
Cox Rovi Passport IPG for SA/Cisco DVR/STB
Disclaimer: This post is in no way an official posting by Cox or it's affiliates. ------»www.cox.com/cable/newguide
Cox has just posted the new User Guides for the transition from SARA to Passport for all Cox markets currently using Scientific Atlanta/Cisco DVRs and STBs. Roll-out notices should be sent out by mail as your transition approaches.
Updates will be posted at AVS Forum: »www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ ··· 18464630

Rovi Passport Customer Service Guides for Cox Scientific Atlanta/Cisco DVR/STBs

EDIT NOTE: Two URLs here have been changed by Cox and updated here. - 05/29/10 - *

SA/Cisco - IPG DVR service: Rovi Passport Echo Version 3.1 -
»www.cox.com/support/digi ··· 0DVR.pdf
(39.6MB/404pp)

SA/Cisco - IPG Non-DVR (SDTV or HDTV): Rovi Passport Guide Version 5.1 -
»www.cox.com/support/digi ··· nDVR.pdf (24.6MB/232pp)

IPG Flip Quick Tips Guide: »www.cox.com/support/imag ··· ult.html (Flash Player)
DVR Recording Quick Reference Guide: »www.cox.com/support/digi ··· 0810.pdf (705KB/2pp)
Parental Controls Quick Reference Guide: »www.cox.com/support/digi ··· 0810.pdf (724KB/2pp)

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Re: [CATV] Rovi Passport IPG User Guides for Cox SA/Cisco DVR/ST

hmmmm. still the same guide here.

SDKiwi
join:2002-05-27
El Cajon, CA

1 recommendation

SDKiwi

This is a key statement :

"Roll-out notices should be sent out by mail as your transition approaches."

I believe multiple forms of communication will occur prior to the transition. San Diego customers should start seeing/hearing these pre-cutover messages very soon.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to BryanInPHX

Premium Member

to BryanInPHX
anyone know why the vesrsion numbers don't match the motorola version numbers. both the passport dct sd/hd and passport echo are 3.5 for the motorola hardware
ajwees41

ajwees41 to BryanInPHX

Premium Member

to BryanInPHX
were are you seeing the SARA screnshots the passport dct passport use the same color scheme.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits

BryanInPHX to ajwees41

Premium Member

to ajwees41
said by ajwees41:

anyone know why the vesrsion numbers don't match the motorola version numbers. both the passport dct sd/hd and passport echo are 3.5 for the motorola hardware
Rovi Passport Guides for Motorola and Cisco Platforms
»www.rovicorp.com/webdocu ··· terature Take a look at page 3.
BryanInPHX

2 edits

BryanInPHX to ajwees41

Premium Member

to ajwees41
said by ajwees41:

were are you seeing the SARA screnshots the passport dct passport use the same color scheme.
Edit: This was incorrect the screenshots are of the Non-DVR Passport.
All screenshots on page 2 are for SARA software: Parental Controls Quick Reference Guide: »www.cox.com/support/digi ··· 0810.pdf (724KB/2pp), It is not the color but the naming of the A,B,C Buttons.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to BryanInPHX

Premium Member

to BryanInPHX
I know there different but wanted to know why they are. Are there gonna be feature differences between moto and cisco hardware?
ajwees41

ajwees41 to BryanInPHX

Premium Member

to BryanInPHX
said by BryanInPHX:

said by ajwees41:

All screenshots on page 2 are for SARA software: Parental Controls Quick Reference Guide: »www.cox.com/support/digi ··· 0810.pdf (724KB/2pp), It is not the color but the naming of the A,B,C Buttons.
there the same on the motorola boxes same A B C accross both motorola and cisco

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

3 edits

BryanInPHX to ajwees41

Premium Member

to ajwees41
said by ajwees41:

I know there different but wanted to know why they are. Are there gonna be feature differences between moto and cisco hardware?
Yes there are feature differences, mainly based on STB hardware capabilities, Just like there will be feature differences between SA8300 series and Cisco 8600 series DVRs, Cisco 8600 series DVRs support Tru2Way, Multi-Room, and an HD Guide display up to 960 x 540 resolution. Supporting the next Cox NDS Tru2Way Guide, which by the way is at least a year behind due to legacy STB compatibility issues, That is why they choose Rovi Passport as a legacy STB IPG. I only assume that they still plan to eventually launch the NDS Tru2Way IPG.
60373562 (banned)
join:2004-04-13
Glendale, AZ

60373562 (banned) to BryanInPHX

to BryanInPHX
That's such an ugly interface full of wasted space. It reminds me of the TV Guide channel.

You could show at least another 30 minute block if not for the gigantic gray border on the left.

Mike00
Premium Member
join:2002-09-16
Tulsa, OK

Mike00

Premium Member

Click for full size
I agree. I wish they would model at&t's IPG. I really like how the guide is partially transparent, so you can still see your current station. And when you open the guide, you can see a thumbnail of the channels as you scroll through them. I hope Cox updates their IPG to something like this soon.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to 60373562

Premium Member

to 60373562
said by 60373562:

That's such an ugly interface full of wasted space. It reminds me of the TV Guide channel.

You could show at least another 30 minute block if not for the gigantic gray border on the left.
the current dvr software was written before the newer mpeg before boxes came out

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to BryanInPHX

Premium Member

to BryanInPHX
I have to confess, I don't see what the hoop-lah is about. That new guide is only marginally better, at best. It took years to develop this? Kind of depressing.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

said by BillRoland:

I have to confess, I don't see what the hoop-lah is about. That new guide is only marginally better, at best. It took years to develop this? Kind of depressing.
I believe the main reason for this change is to unify the IPG across all Cox markets, (Motorola and Cisco) and to get rid of the SARA licensing fees paid to Cisco. The IPG is not really "all new" it is a partial rework of the existing Passport software, which was purchased by Rovi (previously known as Macrovision).
»www.cablefax.com/ct/news ··· 825.html

The Cox NDS Tru2Way IPG is hopefully still coming soon to next generation STBs, but is already a year behind schedule.
»www.multichannel.com/art ··· uide.php
»www.nds.com/solutions/epgs.php

BillRoland
Premium Member
Ocala, FL

BillRoland

Premium Member

Nevertheless, after 10 years of essentially the exact same thing, you would expect to see something a little more remarkable than this, IMHO.

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast to BryanInPHX

Premium Member

to BryanInPHX
I'm disappointed in this new guide. It is exactly the same as the current one except for a minor (very minor at that!) face life. The design of the guide hasn't changed and I'm sure it's features hasn't either.

Cox is still only offering the crappy HD DVR's with the small 160 GB HDD that can barely record 10 hours of programs.

Go Figure.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

BryanInPHX to BillRoland

Premium Member

to BillRoland
said by BillRoland:

Nevertheless, after 10 years of essentially the exact same thing, you would expect to see something a little more remarkable than this, IMHO.
Not to defend Cox, but Legacy (Old) STB's are the issue.

Quote Source: »www.cablefax.com/ct/news ··· 825.html
"Pickelsimer said "legacy issues and legal issues" have hampered improvement of the user interface that Cox and other cable operators use with their interactive program guides (IPGs).

"What has hampered us in terms of speed is we have this legacy technology where we have 30 different box types and every application we have has to be specifically ported to those box types. There's no such thing as rapid application development in that sort of environment," Pickelsimer said.

Cox has Macrovision's Aptiv Passport deployed on cable systems that run Motorola hardware and Cisco's SARA (Scientific Atlanta Resident Application) IPG deployed on systems running Cisco boxes.

Pickelsimer said Cox is in the process of transitioning systems that currently use SARA to the Passport IPG. She said the company is also developing its own tru2way IPG with technology from NDS, but she didn't say when that guide would be commercially deployed."

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to BillRoland

Premium Member

to BillRoland
said by BillRoland:

i'll be happy if the 10:37, 1:10, 3:01 and 5:36 timeslot issues are fixed.
it'd also be nice if the 8 minute to change the date issue is fixed.

BillRoland
Premium Member
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to BryanInPHX

Premium Member

to BryanInPHX
said by BryanInPHX:
said by BillRoland:

"Pickelsimer said "legacy issues and legal issues" have hampered improvement of the user interface that Cox and other cable operators use with their interactive program guides (IPGs).

"What has hampered us in terms of speed is we have this legacy technology where we have 30 different box types and every application we have has to be specifically ported to those box types. There's no such thing as rapid application development in that sort of environment," Pickelsimer said.

Cox has Macrovision's Aptiv Passport deployed on cable systems that run Motorola hardware and Cisco's SARA (Scientific Atlanta Resident Application) IPG deployed on systems running Cisco boxes.

Pickelsimer said Cox is in the process of transitioning systems that currently use SARA to the Passport IPG. She said the company is also developing its own tru2way IPG with technology from NDS, but she didn't say when that guide would be commercially deployed."

Bryan, thanks for posting the links and information. Your posts are always informative and useful.

Actually what you say highlights another severe deficiency in Cox and the wider cable industry. They've got to start rolling out 21st century cable boxes that can do things like tune to 1GHz, use MPEG4, and have faster processors/more RAM. The excuse is always "well it would cost a lot of money" and while that is quite true, they are really facing a threat of being left behind. I am actually considering satellite, which a few years ago would never have crossed my mind, simply because Cox's video offerings are starting to lag way behind in every category.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

said by BillRoland:

said by BryanInPHX:
said by BillRoland:

Bryan, thanks for posting the links and information. Your posts are always informative and useful.

Actually what you say highlights another severe deficiency in Cox and the wider cable industry. They've got to start rolling out 21st century cable boxes that can do things like tune to 1GHz, use MPEG4, and have faster processors/more RAM. The excuse is always "well it would cost a lot of money" and while that is quite true, they are really facing a threat of being left behind. I am actually considering satellite, which a few years ago would never have crossed my mind, simply because Cox's video offerings are starting to lag way behind in every category.
They are atleast in the motorola markets the dcx line have 1GHZ tuners

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

BryanInPHX to SDKiwi

Premium Member

to SDKiwi
said by SDKiwi:

This is a key statement :

"Roll-out notices should be sent out by mail as your transition approaches."

I believe multiple forms of communication will occur prior to the transition. San Diego customers should start seeing/hearing these pre-cutover messages very soon.
Since it looks like San Diego will be the first to transition to Passport, a few sites to keep an eye on are:

»ww2.cox.com/residential/ ··· t/tv.cox
»www.cox.com/support/sand ··· uide.asp
»www.cox.com/sandiego/new ··· service/

»hdtv.forsandiego.com/mes ··· 71563679

Metal Head
Premium Member
join:2001-02-15
Escondido, CA

Metal Head

Premium Member

We just got the pamphlet in the mail today, so hopefully we'll be getting it soon.

SDKiwi
El Cajon, CA

1 recommendation

SDKiwi

14K set-tops were upgraded this morning to Rovi in San Diego. The upgrades are by model type and will take until the first week in June to complete. I can't share details (ie which box types each week), but the number of settops that will be upgraded will be substantially larger over the next several weeks.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

1 edit

ajwees41

Premium Member

not to high jack this thread but after looking at the rovi website it it looks like the are combinig or combined the non dvr and dvr guide software

»www.rovicorp.com/product ··· rightnav

BillRoland
Premium Member
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to SDKiwi

Premium Member

to SDKiwi
said by SDKiwi:

14K set-tops were upgraded this morning to Rovi in San Diego. The upgrades are by model type and will take until the first week in June to complete. I can't share details (ie which box types each week), but the number of settops that will be upgraded will be substantially larger over the next several weeks.
How did it go? If you're getting ready to ramp up, can we assume it all went pretty well?
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

Still the same IPG here. When we move, I'm looking forward to getting UVERSE. That IPG looks slick! Too bad it's not AT&T here.

-Rob

SDKiwi
El Cajon, CA

1 recommendation

SDKiwi to BillRoland

to BillRoland
I would say everyone at the SD system was overall pleased with rollout day 1. Call volume was a bit heavier during the day, but below forecast in prime time.

The Rovi guide is not perfect....but the improvement vs. SARA is very significant in terms of speed and usability. There is a a relatively short learning curve. During our transition in SD, the STB will always tune to channel 100 when turned on....there are several screens (with some soft music) that tell customers about some of the most significant UI changes. That is is addition to emails, web page info, and some voice mails.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

A big thanks to SDKiwi for taking an interest and keeping everyone updated. Thanks Again.

BillRoland
Premium Member
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to SDKiwi

Premium Member

to SDKiwi
said by SDKiwi:

I would say everyone at the SD system was overall pleased with rollout day 1. Call volume was a bit heavier during the day, but below forecast in prime time.

The Rovi guide is not perfect....but the improvement vs. SARA is very significant in terms of speed and usability. There is a a relatively short learning curve. During our transition in SD, the STB will always tune to channel 100 when turned on....there are several screens (with some soft music) that tell customers about some of the most significant UI changes. That is is addition to emails, web page info, and some voice mails.
Good info to know, thanks for sharing.