Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC

Jahntassa to daveinpoway

Premium Member

to daveinpoway

Re: National Consumer Panel scanner data transmission problems

said by daveinpoway:

Update- yesterday, I spoke with someone who seemed to know something. She felt that my router was perhaps "too sophisticated" and thus was preventing their equipment from maintaining a consistent IP address on my network.
These two sentences seem to disprove each other. I don't know if i've run into a situation where a router was 'too sophisticated' for a device to maintain an IP address.

Are there any diagnostics on the device? Can you confirm that it isn't pulling an IP address when you dock it?

Can you look in your router log and see if it's pulling an IP address when you dock it?

Can you ping the device at any point? See if it is an IP address problem or some other issue?
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway

Premium Member

She seemed to feel that my router had too much security and needed some authentication that their equipment didn't provide.

She told me how to have the unit tell me what IP address it had acquired. At the time that I checked it yesterday, the address seemed valid, but, since I had not checked it before, I can't say that it has been consistent.

Anyway, I have the Netgear router configured and installed. Let's see what happens over the next few weeks. If the scanner continues to not transmit properly, at least I have ruled out the IP address as a cause.

Eventually, I want to move the scanner to the kitchen (it is in my bedroom now, since that is where the router is). To do this, however, I need a wireless link to the kitchen. I don't want to attempt this until the scanner works properly where it is now, so that I am not adding something extra to a setup that may still have some problems.