Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3

Where to buy flat PVC stock?

I need a small piece of flat PVC, 12x12 inches x 1/4 inch. Any ideas where one can purchase such a thing? I haven't seen it in any hardware stores.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 edit
Here's all sorts of sources

If it doesn't have to be PVC, you could also try acrylic. That should be available at most home centers locally.

HarryH3
Premium
That just shows places that can ship it to me. I'd prefer to walk in someplace and get it today.

Acrylic won't live in the intended environment, so I'm stuck with PVC. I'm installing a new effluent pump in the low pressure dosing tank of my septic system and would like to make a small platform to raise the pump off the bottom the tank a bit. Not many things survive in there. Even plastic tie-wraps self destruct. Stainless steel and PVC both hold up quite well though.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
said by HarryH3:

That just shows places that can ship it to me. I'd prefer to walk in someplace and get it today.
Well you didn't say you wanted/needed it today. I'd just go with stainless which you can probably file at most hardware stores or home centers. If you have one in your area, you could also try a Metal Supermarkets type of place.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to HarryH3
I haven't tried to buy flat PVC stock before. One thing you could do is to flatten a piece of pipe. Cut a piece of 4" schedule 40 and rip it from end to end. Take a heat gun or torch and carefully heat it to get it to relax a little. Then put it in the oven on a cookie sheet. I'm not sure how hot you need to get it so start low and slowly ramp up the temp until it flattens. I have done this numerous times when I needed a custom bend for plumbing or electrical. PVC is easy to manipulate when it is heated.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Doesn't PVC get exceptionally "brittle" once it gets heated, though?

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
Not that I have ever heard. Google heating or bending PVC and you will get a lot of hits. Here is a link to Granger for a "PVC Heating Blanket, For 1/2 to 1 1/2 Inches PVC, Bends/Offsets/Saddles"

»www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/ ··· ms/5C638

I've never tried it in an oven so I'm not sure the "magic" temperature. From a little research it appears to be about 200 to 225.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
said by robbin:

I've never tried it in an oven so I'm not sure the "magic" temperature. From a little research it appears to be about 200 to 225.

Think STEAM !

When I was working on small boats, I made a propane powered steam box out of plywood. It worked great at softening the replacement hard vinyl rub rails on one yacht.

--
. . . slightly confused . . .

ruraltn

join:2008-05-16
reply to HarryH3
I suggest high density polyethylene (HDPE) instead. It is readily available as cutting boards in the size range you are looking for, and it is probably better suited for your intended usage. Try Target or WallyWorld.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-densi ··· ethylene

HarryH3
Premium
I thought about those, but I don't have a way to attach legs HDPE. I'm planning to solvent-weld some 1.5-inch pipe couplings to the bottom of the PVC to raise the pump up out of the sludge just a bit.

rex0

join:2002-02-10

1 edit
Make the legs out of pvc pipe and use a stainless bolt and nut to attach to the hdpe?

edit: this would probably depend on the weight of the pump but what about a small plastic patio end table? They're commonly made of things like hdpe and pvc.

zach3
Zach
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Saint Louis, MO
reply to HarryH3
Harry,

There used to be a place called Cadillac Plastics that used to have stores in most major cities around the USA. Apparently they have been bought out by GE and now are listed under this link.

»www.professionalplastics.com/CAD ··· PLASTICS

Give it a try and see if you can find one located near you.

Zach

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to cdru
said by cdru:

said by HarryH3:

Well you didn't say you wanted/needed it today. I'd just go with stainless which you can probably file at most hardware stores or home centers. If you have one in your area, you could also try a Metal Supermarkets type of place.
You can walk into just about any sheet metal shop and ask for some stainless steel. Most have some in their scrap bin. You will especially find stainless in sheet metal shops that specialize in commercial kitchens. When you walk in, just ask to talk to the foreman. (You can also request they make it into exactly what you need, but you will pay for that.) They are always looking for a few bucks to put a case of beer in the refrigerator.

rich3236

join:2006-08-22
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to HarryH3
You could buy a 12x12 PVC electrical box at home depot etc. It has a flat square PVC cover. You might even be able to use the entire box as a table depending on how high you want to go

HarryH3
Premium
reply to robbin
I just happened to have a short piece of 4-inch pipe "in stock" so I cut it and put it in the oven, as robbin suggested. It softened quite nicely at 225. I did get it mostly flat, but it really wanted to curl back up. I had to weight it down while it cooled. Tomorrow I'll see how well I can get the "feet" to attach to it.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:6
reply to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

I thought about those, but I don't have a way to attach legs HDPE. I'm planning to solvent-weld some 1.5-inch pipe couplings to the bottom of the PVC to raise the pump up out of the sludge just a bit.
Do what us plummers do..

Put the pump in a 5gal bucket, and then punch a few (10-15) 1" holes about halfway on the bucket, and wall-a, you got a crud seperator..

good luck

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

HarryH3
Premium
I actually considered that, but it has to fit through a 9-inch round opening in the top of the septic tank. It's a pretty piss poor design, but I'm not digging up a 4-foot deep concrete tank to make it better.

Yeah, it's a $h!tty job.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
said by HarryH3:

I actually considered that, but it has to fit through a 9-inch round opening in the top of the septic tank.
So how exactly were you planning on getting a 12"x12" square through a 9" hole? I'm believe I remember hearing something about square pegs and round holes growing up...

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
Without asking, I imagine HarryH3 See Profile is going to cut it smaller. He was asking about a 12" x 12" piece as that could be a standard size if you could or knew where to buy it like that.

HarryH3
Premium
reply to cdru
said by cdru:

said by HarryH3:

I actually considered that, but it has to fit through a 9-inch round opening in the top of the septic tank.
So how exactly were you planning on getting a 12"x12" square through a 9" hole? I'm believe I remember hearing something about square pegs and round holes growing up...
What robbin said... Yep, I own a few saws and have to cut the part down to the size I need.

mistakenID

join:2000-11-07
Salt Lake City, UT
reply to HarryH3
Wouldn't lexan work? I know Lowe's carries several types, thickness of lexan and other plastics.

dipweed23

join:2009-07-21
Ypsilanti, MI
reply to HarryH3
If you are serious and have a business address it could be shipped to... Call this place and ask if they can sell you a sample of the sheet stock you are looking for so you can do some "testing" to see if it will fit your particular application. If they ask the application you can make something up, but be vague enough they will sell you a half sheet. Shipping will not be cheap, but they are a great supplier. Have used them in the past for many many pallets of ABS, HIPS, and HDPE sheet for Thermoforming applications.
»www.ainplastics.com/ainp/Product ··· ndex.htm

treetop1000

join:2003-11-07
Lexington, KY
reply to HarryH3
Tried using a pair of ordinary bricks? If what you are going to do is raise the pump up a couple inches, this would be the way to go. bricks are cheap, solid, and won't fall apart under water (or crap)