Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

1 edit

Speed Upgrade today. Want to verify

Tweak Test Results: »/tweakr/block:···a=normal

Latest speed test: »/speedtests/88296930/65687

Router: That modem/router that Verizon provides.

According to verizon, our service should be getting upgraded from 20/5 to 25/25 effective today. I just want to make sure they're delivering the goods.

seems it's still on the old tier right now, and this was after resetting the router.
--
Front Line Force Fortress Forever

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
Call VZ and ask them to reprovision your service.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
reply to C0deZer0
Well, the Verizon tech showed up today. His laptop directly connected to the router doesn't get the speed, yet my roomie's desktop, now connected by ethernet, does.

Doesn't make any sense to me, given that the router was basically moved over about four or five feet to now be on the same desk it is on.

And in turn, my speed gets worse. The irony is that the router is now physically closer to my room (separated by a wall though). But that was never a problem with the old 20/5 setup we did have.

--

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
said by C0deZer0:

His laptop directly connected to the router doesn't get the speed, yet my roomie's desktop, now connected by ethernet, does.
Does this mean that the other box is not connected to the router? If this is NOT the case, plug your box into the port that he is using and see what you get.

Also, before you do that, reboot everything.
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
No, no... the tech brought in his own laptop to verify the speeds, and was getting the poor speeds as well, via ethernet.

For the hell of it, he disabled the wireless card that was in my roommate's desktop, enabled the onboard LAN, and plugged that in via ethernet and ran the tests; now, my roommate's computer is getting the speeds that are being advertised.

I, on the other hand, am not. Yet not to sound like I'm being unreasonable here, but as much as running wired might just solve everything, I've no guarantee of that, and there's also the issue that said roommate would have with having wires all over the floor, and especially trying to drill through or rip the walls to run the cord through that way. That would surely lead to me getting evicted.
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
reply to C0deZer0
Alright... followed your advice on rebooting the systems, and the router(s).

Also came home today with a Mad Catz brand wireless-n bridge... it was about the cheapest thing I could find to be a suitable replacement for my (old and) trusty Buffalo Ethernet Converter.

Speeds improved a fair bit...

Still not near 25/25 (even 20/20 would have been fine for me there), but a lot better than where it was before. Verizon's own speedtest edition has me doing 17.2M down and 20.5M up. Weird.
--

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
OK, looks like we are getting there.

I think that, if I understand your post, you were/are running on a wireless connection. Is that correct? If so can you connect directly to the router or the MODEM and see what speeds you get?

Also, what kind of card are you using? "g" or "n"?
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
I don't have an ethernet cord long enough to reach the router/modem directly.

Before, I was running from ethernet to a Buffalo Turbo G Ethernet Converter.

Basically what I came home with a Mad Catz wireless-n adapter and connecting with that instead.
--

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit
Dupe post.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
reply to C0deZer0
On a wireless connection, you will loose some speed. I am guessing that the router is a "g" and not an "n". So you are limited by the router's speed.

That is why I asked you to do a direct connect.

Your roommate is connected directly to the router. What are the speeds on that box?
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
On Verizon's own speedtest, that one is getting 24/24, with the onboard Atheros GbE (even though our version of the modem/router is .11g and 10/100 ports).

From SpeedTest.net, it showed ~(20/20).
--

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
said by C0deZer0:

(even though our version of the modem/router is .11g and 10/100 ports).
The router is the issue. You are running wireless at "g" speeds. You are not going to get any better. Your options are:

• Direct connect to the router and dump the wireless.

• Get a new MODEM/router ("n") from VZ.
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
said by Irish Shark:

said by C0deZer0:

(even though our version of the modem/router is .11g and 10/100 ports).
The router is the issue. You are running wireless at "g" speeds. You are not going to get any better. Your options are:

• Direct connect to the router and dump the wireless.

• Get a new MODEM/router ("n") from VZ.
I wish I knew if Verizon had a basic modem-only piece of equipment for FiOS, and whether it was capable of these higher speed tiers.

So far, only news I'd heard/read about was that the next major upgrade to the modem/router they'd been providing will only be a single-band "n" for wireless, which if I understand correctly, suggests that the speeds will tank as soon as a g or lower device connects to the same AP; I've a small buttload of different wireless-enabled devices, including my consoles, so that would mean running into the same limitations... or that I would need to spend more on a dual-band; or worse, have to buy both a separate "g" and "n" router.

In any case, picked up a 25ft ethernet cable for testing purposes from Wal-Mart just now; came home, and thankfully it was just long enough to plug it in with some slack remaining. I still don't like going this route, because I just know someone at some point is going to trip over that cable (be it me, my roommate(s), or a guest) and that won't be pretty.

Even so, here are my current results.

Verizon's internal speed test

--

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
Is the router that we are talking about VZ's or your router (secondary)?

If it is VZ's router they should provide you with a "n" router.

If it is your router, then you would need to buy a replacement router.
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
It is the modem/router deal that Verizon provides for FiOS.

The "n" class router that they are supposed to be having isn't coming out until later this year. And as I understand it, it will only be a single-band n router instead of dual-band.
--

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
That's too bad. Have you asked VZ for a new setup? I have read that VZ has the "n" router in some markets.
--