join:2004-01-16
USA

2 edits

haroldo

[iPad]Israel bans imports of Apple iPad

quote:
Israel bans imports of Apple iPad
By KAROUN DEMIRJIAN (AP) ; 2 hours ago
JERUSALEM ; Israel has banned imports of Apple Inc.'s hottest new product, the iPad, citing concerns the powerful gadget consumes too much capacity on wireless networks and could disrupt other devices.
Customs officials said Thursday they have already confiscated about 10 of the lightweight tablet computers since Israel announced the new regulations this week. The ban prevents anyone — even tourists — from bringing iPads into Israel until officials certify that they comply with local transmitter standards.
"If you operate equipment in a frequency band which is different from the others that operate on that frequency band, then there will be interference," said Nati Schubert, a senior deputy director for the Communications Ministry. "We don't care where people buy their equipment. ... But without regulation, you would have chaos."...

»www.google.com/hostednew ··· 9F3K6B01

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5

Premium Member

This only applies to iPads made for US only use. When iPads are built for overseas sales, the WiFi software will be set to limit power based on EU standards. And for travelers, I suspect Apple will create a system setting that can be turned on to limit WiFi transmitter power for iPads sold in the US.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

If the WiFi signal is already on the weak side, as has been reported by many, and even experienced for myself, the skeptic in me is suspicious of the European sales delay. Might it be partially to provide for some time to find a resolution to the WiFi woes that many are reportedly experiencing, and not necessarily on the "surprising" US demand? If Apple acknowledges that there is an issue, an even weaker transmit signal in accordance with EU standards might exasperate the problem.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
LOL, thats just downright silly.

jdong
Eat A Beaver, Save A Tree.
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Rochester, MI

jdong to jmn1207

Premium Member

to jmn1207
said by jmn1207:

If the WiFi signal is already on the weak side, as has been reported by many, and even experienced for myself, the skeptic in me is suspicious of the European sales delay. Might it be partially to provide for some time to find a resolution to the WiFi woes that many are reportedly experiencing, and not necessarily on the "surprising" US demand? If Apple acknowledges that there is an issue, an even weaker transmit signal in accordance with EU standards might exasperate the problem.
The iPad does contain a 5GHz transmitter tuned for the US regulatory domain. Israel, apart from China, has one of the MOSt restrictive 802.11 regulatory domains (primarily because of the amount of military radar equiptment that shares airspace with the a/n 5ghz band)

It's not surprising at all that they do not want to allow the iPad. Note that the FCC regulates our airspace just as tightly, if not more -- it's a felony to posess/operate an unlicensed transmitter.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

1 edit

haroldo

quote:
Israel iPad Ban Puzzles Many
Government Cites Wireless Interference, but Apple Tablet Uses Standard Chips
By CHARLES LEVINSON

JERUSALEM—Israel has been blocking travelers from bringing Apple Inc.'s new iPad into the country, saying the device's wireless technology threatens to create interference with other products, a move that has puzzled people both in Israel and Silicon Valley.

The Ministry of Communications said the ban was instituted earlier this week because the iPad's Wi-Fi wireless technology was built to the U.S. standard, which it said allows stronger signals than Europe and Israel.

"This device's wireless strengths violate Israeli law and will overpower other wireless devices in Israel," ministry spokesman Yechiel Shavi said.

Mr. Shavi said once Apple releases a version of the device built according to European wireless specifications, the ban will be reversed.

An Apple spokeswoman said the "iPad complies with international industry standards for Wi-Fi specifications." She added that it complies with standards set by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute, the EU's wireless-standards-setting group.

Israel's decision has left many scratching their heads. Travelers have been bringing laptops and cellphones configured to U.S. wireless standards, including other Apple devices, into Israel for years without incident. Some Israeli lawmakers alleged on Friday the decision undermines Israel's status as a global leader in the high-tech industry.

Richard Doherty, an analyst with technology consulting firm Envisioneering Group, said Apple is using a standard Wi-Fi chip in the iPad and the Israeli government's decision "does not make sense. If they're paranoid about the iPad then they should be paranoid about BlackBerrys and the iPhone," he said, adding that the decision "seems to have no technical reason."

According to his tests, Mr. Doherty said the iPad has a smaller antenna and the Wi-Fi transmission is weaker, if anything, compared with other devices of similar size and power. That is because the computer is encased in solid aluminum and the radio waves transmit only through the small Apple logo in the back of the case.

Customs authorities have confiscated at least 10 iPads so far from travelers arriving to Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion Airport. Travelers have been required to pay for storage fees until they pick up their devices on the way out of the country.

The ban has triggered an angry wave of criticism in Israel, as gadget-happy Israeli consumers fear they will once again be forced to watch with envy as the rest of the world enjoys the latest high-tech toy, as happened with Apple's iPhone, released in Israel months after it debuted in the U.S. and Europe.

The iPad is currently sold only in the U.S. Apple plans to launch a version in six European markets, including Germany, Italy and the U.K., next month.

Mr. Shavi, the ministry spokesman, said anyone who brought wireless devices configured to U.S. standards into Israel in the past should have declared them to customs officials and could have had their devices confiscated. But he didn't know of any incidents in which devices were confiscated.

Some technology experts have speculated the ban could have to do with fears that the more powerful wireless frequency used by American devices could interfere with Israeli military-communications technology.

Israel's government has in the past stood up to tech powerhouses. In 2003, the government temporarily suspended purchases of Microsoft Corp.'s software and openly encouraged open-source alternatives due to a pricing dispute.

Apple has long lacked a strong presence in Israel. That began to change in late 2008, after Nehemia Peres, the son of Israeli President Shimon Peres, bought the company that has exclusive rights to sell Apple products in Israel, iDigital. Israel's first Apple store opened in Tel Aviv in January 2009. iDigital couldn't be reached for comment.
»online.wsj.com/article/S ··· nvesting

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo

They're Free!

It looks like they are allowed now.

»r.reuters.com/zuk39j

funkym0nk3y
truthlover
join:2002-06-27

1 recommendation

funkym0nk3y to haroldo

to haroldo

Re: [iPad]Israel bans imports of Apple iPad

thats so sad but i'm not really surprised. israel is an oppressive police state with no freedom of speech there.

jdong
Premium Member
Rochester, MI

jdong

Premium Member

said by funkym0nk3y:

thats so sad but i'm not really surprised. israel is an oppressive police state with no freedom of speech there.
That has nothing to do with why it's banned though -- the FCC handles the import of unlicensed transmitters in pretty much the same way.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by jdong:

That has nothing to do with why it's banned though -- the FCC handles the import of unlicensed transmitters in pretty much the same way.
As far as I know though, they won't confiscate a consumer electronic device at the airport though, even from travelers.

I'd really like to know the reasoning behind the ban. It's a WiFi device like any other, with particularly WEAK WiFi as reported by many early adopters.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I agree with jdong See Profile on this. From what I remember, Apple submitted their completed application to the FCC the day before the release. As it still has not been released internationally I would expect that Apple had not yet submitted their application to the European agency for approval. The European countries require much less power to be used. If you look at most any "WiFi device like any other" you will find that they not only have FCC certification but also European certification. Israel simple wanted to make sure that the device was following the rules of their country.

jdong
Premium Member
Rochester, MI

jdong to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:
said by jdong:

As far as I know though, they won't confiscate a consumer electronic device at the airport though, even from travelers.

I'd really like to know the reasoning behind the ban. It's a WiFi device like any other, with particularly WEAK WiFi as reported by many early adopters.
Again, it transmits on 5GHz which is something that no previous iDevice has done. In Israel, most of the 5GHz channels are banned from civilian usage because military radar equipment runs on those bands.

The US allows many many more 5GHz channels for consumer use, though a couple of the 5GHz channels require that you perform "DFS radar detection" (e.g. listen for transmissions, and if there's any radar transmissions, stop using that channel)

The iPad is only programmed for US regulatory domains as far as I can see, with no way of changing that.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

From the article I read it sounds like it changes automatically based on what it is receiving from the AP (router). In other words it knows that it is receiving a European signal and changes its output to match those rules.

jdong
Premium Member
Rochester, MI

jdong

Premium Member

said by robbin:

From the article I read it sounds like it changes automatically based on what it is receiving from the AP (router). In other words it knows that it is receiving a European signal and changes its output to match those rules.
Well that is basic minimum behavior you have to implement to comply with the 802.11n specifications for regulatory domains. However, that does NOT stop:

(1) directed probes (for hidden ESSIDs)
(2) connecting to a USA AP within Israel on an illegal frequency.

Usually the hardware sold in Israel would also have a hardcoded regulatory domain (list of valid channels) in the firmware that the user cannot override.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to jdong

Premium Member

to jdong
said by jdong:

Again, it transmits on 5GHz which is something that no previous iDevice has done. In Israel, most of the 5GHz channels are banned from civilian usage because military radar equipment runs on those bands.

The US allows many many more 5GHz channels for consumer use, though a couple of the 5GHz channels require that you perform "DFS radar detection" (e.g. listen for transmissions, and if there's any radar transmissions, stop using that channel)

The iPad is only programmed for US regulatory domains as far as I can see, with no way of changing that.
Ok, so what sets the iPad apart from the hundreds of different laptop models with 802.11N, that have 2.4/5ghz bands, and why aren't they being confiscated at airports from travellers?

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Probably because they have been certified and carry the CE mark.

»www.percept.com/mark.php#eu

»www.percept.com/mark.php

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by robbin:

Probably because they have been certified and carry the CE mark.

»www.percept.com/mark.php#eu

»www.percept.com/mark.php
Mine clearly shows the CE and FC stamp on the back.

I heard it was that Steve Jobs' biological father was a Syrian Muslim and the code for the attack on Israel would launch when the Apple CEO introduced a new product or gave an interview wearing blue jeans and a black mock turtleneck.

jdong
Premium Member
Rochester, MI

jdong to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Ok, so what sets the iPad apart from the hundreds of different laptop models with 802.11N, that have 2.4/5ghz bands, and why aren't they being confiscated at airports from travellers?
That I cannot answer And I've asked the exact same thing. IT feels like one of those political things where the technical details kinda got lost through the ranks and by the time it came out of a politician's mouth, it only spiritually alludes to some shred of reasoning 50 people under the management chain...

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin to jmn1207

Mod

to jmn1207
said by jmn1207:

Mine clearly shows the CE and FC stamp on the back.
Just because they printed it on it does not mean that the certification process was complete. Apple is not currently selling iPads in European countries. As I stated in my earlier post, my understanding is that they did not make the application with the FCC until the day before they were released in the US. Obviously, the FCC mark had already been printed on the iPads at that point.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale to funkym0nk3y

Premium Member

to funkym0nk3y
said by funkym0nk3y:

You're right.

-Tzale

DeeC
Premium Member
join:2000-09-01
the world

DeeC to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
I believe the ban has been lifted....according to CNBC today.