how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bigburd

join:2009-09-14
Butte, MT
kudos:1

Massive Slowdowns NO MORE! Goodbye Bresnan HELLO Qwest!

I hope you Bresnan jerks are reading this. It is I, bigburd who posted the original massive slowdowns post that managed 705 replies and over 15,000 reads AND YOUR NETWORK IS STILL IN A SHAMBLES EIGHT MONTHS AFTER THE OUTTAGE AUGUST 2009! Well guess what! I finally had it with you and your crappy service that slows down to almost nothing at peak times. Today the Qwest guys came in and ran a new line for my second Qwest DSL line (My first one has ALWAYS been solid and runs the speed i pay for) and in one week you not only lost my internet money, but I am dumping your crappy television service which I pay way too much for to watch what seems like a bottomless pit of infomercials and commercials. That's right I am out from under your greedy little pay-for-what-you-dont-get thumbs! You can tell Shaun Baqaj there is no need for him to send another truck without notification to my brother's house thinking I am him either. Mr Baqaj has proven to me he couldn't network two tin cans and a string with any real success plenty of times so I don't need to be reminded by your brainless cronies. No more lies from your inadequate tech support, no more of your little cronies dropping in to forums such as this one and continuously making up stories about how your company has/is "implemented solutions to make things run faster and better". We've all heard it a million times and it is all simply a lie. The fact is you have been throttling the network traffic all along, you have had full control of how fast our service is and you have done everything in your power to cover that fact up. So with that I say: GET YER FRIGGIN HANDS OUT OF MY POCKET CAUSE I AM NO LONGER PAYING FOR SOMETHING I NEVER GET!! BYE BYE BRESNAN FOREVER!

THE FCC NEEDS TO TAKE CONTROL OF THE ISP'S!!! UNTIL THEY HAVE RULES AND GUIDELINES TO FOLLOW THEY WILL ALWAYS BE ABLE TO MESS WITH YOUR TRAFFIC TO WHATEVER END THEY SO CHOOSE!

squirrel83
cheers

join:2005-05-02
Honolulu, HI

1 edit

well you will have to let us know how the speeds are with qwest. Not to mention dont you have to have a phone line to have qwest dsl service?

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to bigburd

Just watch what you download..

»www.tomsguide.com/us/qwest-pirac···693.html

burd

@qwest.net
reply to bigburd

Speeds are just fine, exactly what I pay for and NEVER vary, Qwest offers lines without a phone number and I am saving about $15 a month to boot.. I never have to come home from work to find out I can't do my other work because Bresnan is flooded with traffic. If this hasn't happened to you, great.. The other thread says it all about Bresnan and their lies.

Expand your moderator at work

burd

@qwest.net
reply to bigburd

Re: Massive Slowdowns NO MORE! Goodbye Bresnan HELLO Qwest!

Simba7 apparently someone told you something that is completely false or as I suspect you are one of them "Bresnan Cronies" trying to toss anything out here to discredit my FACTUAL information. What you fail to realize is I have had a Qwest DSL connection for almost ten years now, I started with the 256/256 connection. The second year I had DSL I hosted 1.25 million hits on my websites AND shared the connection with two users who played LOTS of games back then. The last two years, I had it along with my crappy Bresnan cable connection running side by side. Some things you all probably do not know about Qwest:

1. With Qwest it is easy to get a static IP address (or a block of 10) and it is SUPER CHEAP as opposed to Bresnan's rate for a static.

2. My Qwest upload speeds are 3 times that of Bresnan which works good for me because I am always transferring files and working remotely. I could even host a network game with this connection, unlike Bresnan. It also makes my home surveillance system much nicer to watch from remote locations.

3. With Qwest I can run web, DNS, IRC, voice chat, and email servers, and along with my static IP I can get reverse DNS making it possible for my servers to reliably send email to the world without being blocked. Qwest knows exactly what I do and have absolutely no problem with it. I host over 2 million web hits a year with my servers. The connection is constantly under load. And for the last three months I have been using this Qwest connection on my work station instead of Bresnan because even with the traffic, it performed infinitely better.

4. I am saving money every month from here on out as my Qwest connection is cheaper than Bresnan's by about $15 a month.

I'd also like to say I DO NOT download illegal music or movies or files. I have no use for anything illegal at this point so apparently unlike you Simba7 I have nothing to worry about. All my servers run free, open source software (Linux) as well.

Nice try but once again, Bresnan takes a second seat to the quality and robust service Qwest offers me. I think if anyone is informed about the comparison of services from these two companies it is me. Like I said, I have been using Qwest for 10 years and Bresnan along side of Qwest for two years, my points are not "guesses" or "rumour" but are factual first hand experience.

I also have to note the fact that I would not have said this for a second prior to August of 2009's massive outtage in Montana. Bresnan's service up until then was just as stellar as Qwest's, other than the fact that Bresnan's tech support has always been a joke. I pushed and pushed Bresnan to fix this issue as did HUNDREDS of other folks all over the state and Bresnan REFUSES to accept that their network was/is performing poorly. Bresnan set the standard of service prior to the outtage and apparently haven't the skills to get it back or simply used the outtage as an opportunity to alter the quality of service on their network. I'm not paying the same amount of money for half the connection, I work hard for my money.

burd

@qwest.net
reply to Simba7

What this link depicts happens to users who have no clue, all the time, on ALL KINDS of networks. It's not Qwest doing this, it was the RIAA or MPAA putting heat on Qwest because somehow they pinpointed this lady's IP address. This could have happened with absolutely any ISP.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT
reply to bigburd

I, for one, have had one issue with Bresnan, but none after that. I've always stressed the hell out of our connection (even have the Cacti graphs to prove it) and it's always been solid and reliable.

Well, head over to Qwests' forums and leave the people without issues alone... unless you just love trolling the forums..

Expand your moderator at work

squirrel83
cheers

join:2005-05-02
Honolulu, HI
reply to bigburd

Re: Massive Slowdowns NO MORE! Goodbye Bresnan HELLO Qwest!

I have had Bresnan for over two years (just internet) and have never really had an issue. The only time the internet was down was when the whole network thing back in the day.

you can take a look at my speed tests and they have actually really improved in the past months. I keep my computers on 24 hours a day and share some p2p stuff and am not throttled. . . soo that right there is way better than Qwest considering they filter/throttle torrent traffic.

»/linequality/nil/2636419
Share your test history with others: »/testhistory/1197676/64ae6

burd

@qwest.net

Another false report. Qwest does not throttle anything... 10 years of use, trust me I've tried it all.

I am assuming these throttling and other reports are from people that do not realize I am talking about Qwest.net connections and NOT MSN connections available from Qwest. If your only experience is via MSN then you are reporting on the wrong service here as they are two completely different creatures. You cannot run internet services like I do on the MSN connections, they have ports blocked etc. You pretty much have to request the Qwest.net connection to get it when you call Qwest for services, you probably won't get some deal for a year or anything like that either going this route.

burd

@qwest.net
reply to bigburd

BTW I just wanted folks to know I am still bombarded by friends and family daily about their sporadically unusable Bresnan connections here in Butte. Most are getting fed up, I just tell them to get what they pay for and go with Qwest. Some are making plans...

christcorp
Premium
join:2001-05-21
Cheyenne, WY
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to bigburd

A few clarifications. I worked for qwest for quite a few years. I took care of a LOT of DSL. Qwest doesn't throttle. Qwest doesn't block. Qwest doesn't limit your downloads. For all intent and purpose, Qwest is a great deal. So why do I have Bresnan? I use to have DSL. But my bandwidth requirements are more than Qwest can provide. For the average internet user, even gamers, Qwest 1.5mb/896kb dsl is fine. I run numerous voip lines, VPN, remote computing, video conferencing, etc... Qwest can only provide me with 1.5/896 service. That isn't nearly good enough. If they could give me at least their 7mb service; possibly even their 5mb service; I would have stayed with them. So, I switched to bresnan.

Now, having said that, I've had Bresnan for going on 2 years. I've only had 1 issue with them. A month or so back, my internet connection went from the 15mb/1mb service down to about 2.5-3mb. It ran fine, pings/latency were normal, tracert seemed OK, (But I'm not privy to how they route their connections), all in all it was totally fine. If I was paying for a 3mb service, I would say that it was running perfectly. But I was paying for a 15mb service, so it wasn't running good. So, I called tech support. A nice gentleman Eric assisted me. He worked with me for about 3-4 days, but we couldn't figure out what was wrong. But he honestly tried his best. When we couldn't figure it out, he bumped me up to tier 2 and I spoke with a lovely lady named zana. We found out that Sprint had been doing some re-routing or re-configuring of their backhaul that Bresnan uses. She contacted a local tech to check out my situation. But through the head-end workers, or possibly Sprint finishing up, my connection resolved within a couple more days. So I contacted zana who canceled the truck roll-out that was scheduled to come to my house.

Except for those 3-4 weeks, which it still ran fine just slower, my bresnan connection has been great. I don't have their TV service, so the price is a little high in my opinion, but it runs great. Here is a snapshot of my tests. It is like this ALL THE TIME. Morning, afternoon, evenings, weekdays, and weekends.

And here is the snapshot of my ping/latency

And for the trouble of the 3-4 weeks that it was having issues, zana even credited my account appropriately. Matter of fact, bresnan gave me 1 free month of service, even though it wasn't out 100%. Bresnan's customer service and internet service has been fine for me. Yes, I live in cheyenne. Which is probably considered more "Civilization" than some of the smaller towns with a lot of old cabling. My whole neighborhood is fiber except the last connection to my house. So while I can understand the frustration with bigburd and others, the fact is bresnan is NOT throttling the network traffic. They are not covering anything up. You are frustrated and are venting. That's cool. But you are also making up things you know NOTHING about. I'm glad you're happy with Qwest. Qwest is a great company. And if they could offer me the speeds I need, I'd be back with them. I have a lot of loyalty for the company I worked years for. But they can't offer me the service I need. But there is also nothing wrong with Bresnan. There may be something wrong with the infrastructure or backhaul in the neighborhood or town you live in, and Bresnan needs to upgrade that. But that's different than your conspiracy theories about them intentionally "Holding you back".

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT
reply to bigburd

Haha.. Looks like Qwest will become CenturyLink.
»CenturyLink To Buy Qwest

burd

@qwest.net

Yep sometimes you just have to change with the times and roll with the punches.. Bresnan folks aren't completely safe with their services either right now.. »www.mtstandard.com/news/state-an···2e0.html

My plan if CT screws my gig up:

rent a dedicated server for my web hosting, worst case scenario I will simply have to move my server to one of the other cities I host from (did I mention I have servers in several states?).

Try CT as my provider on a single line. I sure as heck DO NOT want to go back to Bresnan's terrible services and ungodly tech support.

The straw that will break the camel's back for me is if I cannot get a static ip address and reverse DNS via CT or if they do services blocking such as port 25. Other than that ANYTHING is still better than Bresnan's crappy services, massively inflated pricing, and non-existent tech support.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT

2 edits
reply to bigburd

Ya, I walked by and glanced at the Billings Gazette. Looks like the merger is front page news (as of Apr 23).

I actually told my wife about it and she said "Oh GOD!", since she's ported numbers from them in the past. I guess it takes 3 weeks to port a number from CenturyTel to Bresnan, which should take around a week.

..not to mention alot of people not exactly pleased with CenturyTel's Tech Support in the forums. I guess time will tell if they actually give a crap about the customer, not to mention Qwest's employees.

I do feel sad for Qwest, though. The last of the "Baby Bells" to be consumed by another company, and not by at&t. I just hope CenturyTel keeps their "Price for Life" guarantee or my parents are going to be pissed.

EDIT: At least Bresnan's forum doesn't look like this: »CenturyLink
Even Qwests forum looks rather mild. »Qwest
--
Bresnan 15M/1M
MyWS[P4HT@3.2GHz,2GB RAM,2x1TB HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[P4HT@3GHz,2GB RAM,60GB HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1GHz,512MB RAM,18GB HDD,SMC 8432BTA,2xDigital DE504,Compaq NC3131,Intel Pro/1000MT,IBM Gigabit Ethernet-SX,Allied Telesyn AT-2560FX,Gentoo Linux]