uniqs
share rss forum feed

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6

WTG!!

Cable subscribers on Long Island and in New York City now have access to additional high-speed Internet networks beyond their own company's coverage area.

In a novel arrangement, Bethpage-based Cablevision Systems Corp., New York City-based Time Warner Cable and Philadelphia-based Comcast Corp., announced that, as of Thursday, customers of the other cable companies can use their Wi-Fi networks in the New York metro area for free.

John Bickham, Cablevision's president of cable and communications, said in a statement that allowing customers to "roam freely across networks is an extremely meaningful and transformative development."

Cablevision, which owns Newsday, has 3 million metropolitan area subscribers. Cablevision is in the middle of a $300-million project, launched in September 2008, to install Wi-Fi in its service areas.

Time Warner has 1.4 million customers in the metropolitan area, including in four New York City boroughs. The company last month announced Wi-Fi zones free for subscribers at several parks in Manhattan, Queens and on Long Island Rail Road train platforms (through a partnership with Cablevision).

Karl Bode, editor of New York-based Broadband Reports.com, said having Wi-Fi hot spots included with cable service was a good alternative to costly mobile broadband data plans.

Of the cable operators, he said, "They're figuring if they work as a team, that gives them a little more leverage against Verizon," which competes with cable operators in their territories by offering fiber-optic FiOS service.

In July, New York-based Verizon began offering certain broadband customers free access to thousands of Wi-Fi connections nationwide. John Bonomo, a spokesman for Verizon, said, "We offer free Wi-Fi as well at thousands of locations."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

»www.newsday.com/business/cable-f···.1864379

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1

This is great for me and my iPhone.
I'm a cablevision customer but I'm on the outer edge of cablevision territory, I spend most of my time at work and out in comcast territory, so cablevision's wifi is mostly useless to me, I also have access to AT&T wifi spots because I'm a AT&T customers

Free wifi with a service I already pay for is a great customer added bonus.
The cell phone companies shouldn't mind too much since they already have me locked into a 3G contract for my iPhone\
Might be a reason for them not to go to per byte billing.

Think about it AT&T I now spend 90% of my time within reach of some kind of WiFi, I'm sure I could get away with a pretty small data plan, better off to leave me stuck paying $30 than reduce revenue lol