how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SpiderMang

join:2009-12-08
Saskatoon, SK

Starting a new NZB site

Since Newzbin and TVNZB have been having issues I have been thinking about the idea of making my own NZB site. I like the technical challenge of it and think it would be good to have one that integrates features from both. Commenting on NZB's, RSS subscription to favorite shows, thetvdb.com database information, better seperation of HD/SD content, rewards for posters, etc.

But I live in Canada and am wondering if I am gonna get sued like Newzbin did. Any suggestions? How could I avoid this? Is it worth the risk?

JALman
Pubber To The Stars

join:2005-10-12
usa

said by SpiderMang:

But I live in Canada and am wondering if I am gonna get sued like Newzbin did. Any suggestions? How could I avoid this? Is it worth the risk?
Ask your local copyright/IP lawyer?

SpiderMang

Saskatoon, SK
reply to SpiderMang

I have a feeling its not legal, to bad, I think there is room in the NZB market for a really good site to take over.

I guess that's because competition keeps getting shut down. Maybe if I lived somewhere else it would be worth a shot.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to SpiderMang

You could do it and if you get a warning and you're worried about it just take your site down. They'll write you before they sue you.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
reply to SpiderMang

I believe NZBMatrix is in Canada. Would be a fun project though, but very resource intensive I think.
--
Block Accounts | UseNet Now

Bertt

@sbcglobal.net
reply to SpiderMang

said by SpiderMang:

Since Newzbin and TVNZB have been having issues I have been thinking about the idea of making my own NZB site. I like the technical challenge of it and think it would be good to have one that integrates features from both. Commenting on NZB's, RSS subscription to favorite shows, thetvdb.com database information, better seperation of HD/SD content, rewards for posters, etc.

Are you envisioning automatic and user-driven indexing for this project or are you planning to have volunteer/paid editors on staff who will be doing the indexing?

SpiderMang

Saskatoon, SK
reply to SpiderMang

I was thinking volunteer posting at first with benefits perhaps if there was a membership cost involved. I will look into how NZBMatrix is staying up, see if there in any trouble.

ramakowski

join:2007-02-17
reply to SpiderMang

I think you'd do better doing straight indexing by group only. Compiling and catagorizing posts, and then seeking comments from users may be construed as conspiracy. I prefer straight indexers to any forum based mock torrent site I've seen in my limited exposure to "NZB sites". I just don't trust user posted NZBs at all, especially when volume rewards/points are offered.

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40
reply to SpiderMang

What kind of development skills and qualifications do you have that would make it feasible for you to start a 'new NZB site'? It's not possible to just wave some keystrokes around and make it happen - there are dozens of hours of programming and development to do before even a basic Usenet index system can be built.
--
irc.removed.us - #dslr

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to swintec

said by swintec:

I believe NZBMatrix is in Canada.
I always thought they were in England. Lots of Britishers seem to be there.

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA
reply to SpiderMang

Perfect example of why I HOPE if newzbin goes down for good they release their source code. We would see so many instances of modified newzbin

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to SpiderMang

said by SpiderMang:

If you do decide to do this, PLEASE make it COMPLETELY FREE for everyone. We already pay for a premium newsserver. Why should we have to pay for an NZB site?
--
»Please vote for my sister's band

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by fonzbear2000:

We already pay for a premium newsserver. Why should we have to pay for an NZB site?
Because it costs resources to develop and maintain one? Hosting, bandwidth, etc.

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

said by darcilicious:

said by fonzbear2000:

We already pay for a premium newsserver. Why should we have to pay for an NZB site?
Because it costs resources to develop and maintain one? Hosting, bandwidth, etc.
Then how do binsearch.info and other similar sites do it for free?
--
»Please vote for my sister's band

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

I don't know-- have you asked them? I do know that bandwidth and computers aren't free -- at least not the last I heard... I have hosted things for friends, relatives etc for free but that didn't mean it was free.

SpiderMang

Saskatoon, SK
reply to SpiderMang

said by removed:

What kind of development skills and qualifications do you have that would make it feasible for you to start a 'new NZB site'? It's not possible to just wave some keystrokes around and make it happen - there are dozens of hours of programming and development to do before even a basic Usenet index system can be built.
Me and several people I know do have programming skills. I don't have a computer science degree but they do. Either way I never assumed it would be easy or would only take a week. Perhaps it could become a Google Code project and be open source from day one. I started this post to get information on the legal issues and see what people thought of the idea, not as an announcement of intent.

said by ramakowski:

I think you'd do better doing straight indexing by group only. Compiling and catagorizing posts, and then seeking comments from users may be construed as conspiracy. I prefer straight indexers to any forum based mock torrent site I've seen in my limited exposure to "NZB sites". I just don't trust user posted NZBs at all, especially when volume rewards/points are offered.
I agree with your forum comment. I think ideally automatic NZB compilation would be best but I like the commenting that I have seen on other sites as it is usually helpful in knowing the quality of something before downloading it. That and perhaps a vote style system to vote down NZB's that are of poor quality. I see room for a lot of new ideas in NZB sites that I think aren't done because of the legal issues.

said by fonzbear2000:

If you do decide to do this, PLEASE make it COMPLETELY FREE for everyone. We already pay for a premium newsserver. Why should we have to pay for an NZB site?
I would try to but if the hosting fees became to high I think some kind of solution would need to be offered.

said by fonzbear2000:

Then how do binsearch.info and other similar sites do it for free?
Advertising from what I understand.

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5

Its not that hard. I used to help run dvdrs.net before it got shut down. We had someone write a custom script for us for a few hundred bucks and used phpnuke and bam you are good to go.