royhandy9
Panem et circenses
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Yesterday

royhandy9

Premium Member

2004 LT2000 22HP OHV - what oil?

I recently acquired a Craftsman LT 2000. I do not have a manual for it. It seems to run just fine. I'm pretty sure I need to use SAE 30 oil but should it be detergent or non-detergent?

Is this the correct stuff?

»lawn-and-garden.hardware ··· 909.aspx

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

Depending on where you live SAE 30 is probably a good choice but you may want to go to a 5W-30 or 10W-40 it certainly wouldn't hurt. Yes you want a detergent grade oil. Personally I use an automotive synthetic oil in my mowers and have never had any type of problem. It holds up better for the purpose and the additional cost isn't significant because mowers don't require that much oil. There's nothing special for the oil made by B&S. Any oil that meets a SAE (society of automotive engineers) specification is basically the same.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns to royhandy9

Premium Member

to royhandy9
MOst run on detergent oil. The smaller, older ones were designed with non-detergent.

If it has an oil filter, then you want detergent oil. If no oil filter, be sure to change oil every year as detergent oils will not let dirt settle to the bottom.

30wt or 10w40 will do. 5w-30 will probably smoke when you start up (it wicks up the piston more.)

Yes, I'd use synthetic or synthetic blends after break in if it has an oil filter.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to royhandy9

Premium Member

to royhandy9
You can download a PDF of the manual. Go to this link: »www.searspartsdirect.com ··· 14x00001 and enter the Sears model number. It will be a xxx.xxxxx type of number and can usually be found on a sticker under the seat and/or on the bottom side of the hood. In one of the sidebar areas is where I found the link to download the manual for mine.

My LT1000 with a B&S 17.5 HP engine specs 30 weight, but like Msradell, I run 10-30 synthetic in it.

royhandy9
Panem et circenses
Premium Member
join:2000-05-23
Yesterday

royhandy9

Premium Member

Thanks guys. I got the manual from a different site but I have added the link here to my faves. It says SAE 30. I picked up a bottle of the stuff I linked and will do an oil and filter change next time I run it.