uniqs

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

[Rant] Best Buy -free- antivirus scam

I'm not sure what exactly triggered the "deal". I bought a computer from Best Buy for a client. It could have been buying a computer in general, buying that particular model (Acer AR1600), that I swiped my Reward Zone Silver membership card, that I have a BestBuy.com account linked to both that credit card and my RZ account, or that I was a reseller.

I had to check out at the customer service desk, since it was a tax exempt purchase. They only had 1 blue shirt and a long line, so one of the Geek Squad guys was ringing up sales. After I swiped my RZ card, he walked over to the Geek Squad desk and grabbed a DVD case, scanned it, and tossed it in the bag. Told me it was my "free" 6 month antivirus. Seeing that it was Kaspersky, I told him I wasn't interested, but he insisted it was free, and that he would get in trouble if he didn't give it to me. I said fine, and dropped it in the trash on the way out the door.

When I got home I had an email from Best Buy thanking me for purchasing AntiVirus software. The contents of the email asked me to log in at »subscriptions.bestbuy.com to manage my new software subscription. This threw up a red flag. The email went on to say that if I wanted to prevent a laps in my subscription, I could log into their website, select that subscription, and check the "auto-renew" flag. I took this to mean that auto-renewal was opt-in.

I went to the site and logged in, and found that not only was my credit card information listed, the "auto-renew" flag was already set to yes. It stating they would automatically renew the subscription on 10/15/2010, for $42.59, charged to my debit card.

The card saved on my BestBuy.com account and RZ account is the same card I used in the store, so I'm not sure which place they pulled the number from. But I would have been pissed as hell if they had actually auto-renewed a subscription I didn't want in the first place. I get a "thank you" email after every purchase, I just happened to be bored enough to read this one before deleting it.

Let this be a warning to others.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Wow, they have sunk to a new low, again....

He would get in trouble if he didn't give it to you? I know unemployment is high, but that's like saying 'if I don't scam you out of money, they are going to fire me'.

Bring this up to your local news, complain to the BBB, use the contact us link to tell corporate you will not tolerate this abuse so you will never shop at bestbuy again, and if you feel so inclined walk into the WorstBuy, then ask for the manager just to chew them out on the floor about this practice in front of all the customers near the checkstands so they can hear it. How the employee said they would be in trouble if they didn't scam you, and you have notified the media about their fraud by them only saying 'it's free' and nothing else.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Well, I am reasonably sure no one at the local level had anything to do with this new policy. (except maybe the Geek Squad guy, but they are trained to screw people over) This happened at a store about 15 miles away. I know the store manager at my local store, and plan on having a chat with him on Monday.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

That's a good place to start. It'll be interesting to hear what you find out from the manager.

michaelp95
Premium Member
join:2001-08-23
Tucson, AZ

michaelp95 to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
Tweet this on twitter with a link to here and I bet BestBuy will be contacting you in minutes to seek a resolution.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
Perform a chargeback.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

said by Gbcue:

Perform a chargeback.
The auto-renewal wasn't set to charge until 10/15/2010.
10825447 (banned)
join:2001-02-26
Tempe, AZ

10825447 (banned) to Camelot One

to Camelot One
If they used your Credit Card for a product that could/would end up costing you money without your knowledge/permission that is Credit Card fraud.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane to Camelot One

Numquam oblita

to Camelot One
This would be the 3rd time I've heard this this week

Keep us updated.. in the meanwhile, I've advised disputes for these unauthorized charges

HardwareGeek
join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

HardwareGeek to Camelot One

to Camelot One
funny, same shit happened to me this week
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Now here is the real question, did you just pass it off as nothing, or report it for the fraudulent activity it was? You know as well as I do that this is an attempt to screw customers out of their money.

Nowhere in the transaction did they agree to sign up for this service.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to Camelot One

MVM

to Camelot One
IMO this is the same as the online big security companies automatically "renewing" your subscription without you approving the use of your credit card yet we can use a "shop safe" one use card to prevent future problems with them...no one time card to prevent the stores from doing it however. Maybe the best thing is to go back to checks/cash.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

1 recommendation

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

The customer bought a box, an unopened box, and now they find they are automatically signed up for a subscription they didn't ask for before even installing the software to agree to an eula. This is a scam, and no prior agreement was ever made for the subscription.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
FWIW they didn't force any antivirus subscription on me when I purchased my laptop recently. I do have a reward account, and I didnt do any linking to cards or anything. I need to check.

there's gonna be some broken stuff if they have my info saved......
AZinOH
join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

AZinOH to Camelot One

to Camelot One
Every time I go to BB, I'm asked to sign up for their "rewards" program. I just say no...problem solved. No reward is worth this kind of hassle.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

This is NOT the first time BESTBUY has done something like this...... (especially if you're using one of their Reward Zone Programs).

(1) About a year ago, I was asked if I wanted to sign up for a FREE NETZERO account....Who the heck still uses dialup?
I declined. the clerk INSISTED he add it to my ticket (claiming I could give it to a friend if I didn't need it).
It showed .00 on the receipt. Another month later, GUESS WHAT? I had a 9.95 charge from NETZERO on my credit card statement. What a scam!

(2) what's up with BESTBUY bugging the shit out of you wanting to say "You can have three FREE magazines with your purchase". I say, No thanks........ NO THANKS.......
N O T H A N K S!" I can imagine what's going to happen based off Experience (1).

I realize the Reward Zone can have its benefits, I've received several $5.00 off cards when I bought a TV, and my computer.
But just cd's and general accessories......not worth it.

So, when they ask me if I have a reward zone membership, I just say "NO" unless i'm buying like 500+$..

they say "would you like to sign up"........ I just reply NO.

They they go to the great depths of explaining the benefits of it (which I might add are commissions out of forcing magazines and netzero signups).

I just listed and say "NO".

If you decline, they then want your phone number..... WHY?

I just say "I don't have one".......and the process continues.

At least I dont have any other items added to my receipt that I have to worry about being charged for after the fact.

When I called BESTBUY and complained about the NETZERO signup, they flatly denied it, and told me that I would have to contact then to cancel it........WAIT, you signed me up for a FREE SUBSCRIPTION................

Can you say "credit card dispute" as the last measure?????

SO, BestBuy is pretty sneaky, and runs some pretty unethical business practices.
banner
Premium Member
join:2003-11-07
Long Beach, CA

banner to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
Companies should watch out for pissed off customers when they setup employee incentive programs to push products.

Technogeez
Agape in amazement.
Premium Member
join:2007-01-20

Technogeez to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
Sounds like the sales associate thought you said "yes" when he asked you, most likely subaudibly, if you wanted the antivirus package with that new computer...

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to compuguybna

Premium Member

to compuguybna
I've never had such trouble with Best Buy, on the rare occasion I do go there, what with Fry's being closer and cheaper.

Even when I bought a laptop there they didn't give me any trouble, not even when I returned it shortly after because Fry's put a better one on sale for the same price.

They ask me about RewardZone or whatever, I just say no and they move on. It's not just my local one either, the one my friend goes to is the same way. I guess things are just different at the Best Buys in the DFW area.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by sivran:

I guess things are just different at the Best Buys in the DFW area.
Maybe Best Buy behaves themselves when there is good local competition.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Could be, could be. Though Fry's is pretty much their only competition. They bought CompUSA, Conn's is laughable and Circuit City tanked.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

1 edit

Camelot One

MVM

To follow up on this:
I met with the manager at my local store. I know him personally, so he tends to be a little more honest on things like this. We walked through the transaction, and he showed me where the Geek Squad rep opted me in for auto-renewal. It is not the default option, but when the software is scanned it instructs them to ask if the customer would like auto-renewal. If they click yes, the credit card screen (facing the customer) displays a screen that looks almost identical to the Reward Zone identity verification screen. The RZ screen displays your name, address, and email, with a statement something like "please verify customer information". This auto-renewal screen is identical, except in addition to the above, it has "Auto-Renewal" at the top. Intentionally misleading, but it probably meets any legal requirements.

I am fairly sure I never saw it, but maybe I did. It is also possible the rep reached over and hit the button, which I've seen them do in the past. I've only seen the RZ screen when making returns, so I think it would have registered in my head. But maybe I just missed it.

As to the "I'd get in trouble if I don't give it to you" statement, it wasn't ENTIRELY a lie. If he had rung it up (at that point he had) and not given it to me, he'd get in trouble. But there is nothing in Best Buy's policy that says they have to ring it up. He could have just taken it off the sale. And unlike extended warranties, there is no (secret) quota placed on sales of this free/auto-renewal stuff, yet.

So there you have it.

Del_Gue
join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

Del_Gue to compuguybna

to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

SO, BestBuy is pretty sneaky, and runs some pretty unethical business practices.
Totally agree, and a long time ago I discovered that BestBuy is geared for people who have more money than brains. I just can’t grasp how many horror stories the public needs before they get the idea that this retailer is a miserable choice. In fact, I would say that anyone who shops there deserves exactly what they get.

Once every four or five years I venture into a BestBuy strictly for convenience sake, and have been sorry every time. I almost get physically ill when talking to their incompetent employees who are more interested in making a sale than in learning about what they are selling. You are welcome to buy those “Monster” cables they push at 10 times the price of other top of the line, but not me. The last time I visited they were selling a Plasma TV that interested me (had no intention of buying from them) and being that it was a brand new model they thought they could sell it to me for more than the MSRP (I could buy it directly from the manufacturer with white glove delivery for a thousand less). They will generally always find reasons why they are not obligated to price match a competitor. We don’t even want to get into the Attorney General of my State nailing them for selling refurbished merchandise as new.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Unless it's for a client, I generally don't buy normal electronics from them. But their musical instrument stores are amazing. They are almost always at or below Musicians Friend and AMS, and the few times they weren't, they price matched them. And you just can't go anywhere else and get a 30 day (in my case 45) $0 restocking fee return policy on musical gear. I got my "silver" status buying music gear, not TVs or computers.

But just like the computer sales department, the employees working in the instrument department don't know jack about the products. They sure pretend to though.
OHN
join:2003-02-05
Appleton, WI

1 edit

OHN to Camelot One

to Camelot One
I have a hunch the page just pre filled the check mark for you. I dont think anything was really set. In fact, you visting the site may have been what triggered it. If that makes sense?

Well at least that is what I think. I am trying to think of a reasonable explanation. If it actually happened the way you said it did, then that is a huge boo for Best Buy. I am glad I stopped shopping with them years ago. The bad part is people still give me gift card for Best Buy even though I only purchase at Newegg.com

Technogeez
Agape in amazement.
Premium Member
join:2007-01-20

Technogeez to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran
said by sivran:

Could be, could be. Though Fry's is pretty much their only competition. They bought CompUSA, Conn's is laughable and Circuit City tanked.
I'm pretty sure it was Systemax (AKA TigerDirect) that bought the CompUSA system when they folded.
computerman2
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
Trenton, MI

computerman2 to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
Took my Old DVD Recorder into Best Buy in 2006, due to it wasn't working right, well they sent it off to repair, i had a service plan on it, only reason why ever took it in there, well waited about 2 weeks, and they said "unable to repair it, try to find something like it" well they didn't carry any DVD/Hard drive recorders anymore

Fast forward a few months of looking at all area stores, i finally got fed up and emailed the head of geek squad, got a call that morning with agreeing to give a gift card for full purchase price of the 2003 DVD Recorder.

Haven't hardly been back there since
Expand your moderator at work

rudnicke
Premium Member
join:2004-10-23
Rantoul, IL

rudnicke to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One

Re: [Rant] Best Buy -free- antivirus scam

Hardest thing I ever did was try to spend a $100 gift card at Best Buy.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

1 edit

Selenia to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
That reminds me about the time they supposedly gave me a free 6 month subscription to 2 magazines. A few weeks later, I find my credit card billed by both. I call them up furious and then they tell me the real deal: I buy 6 months of subscription and get 6 months free. Not only that, it would have renewed automatically, once that ran out, come to find out. I had questioned the deal already at Best Buy and they said it was totally free. I call back Best Buy and get an arrogant manager. I ended up cursing her out for her attitude and defending this employee that had lied to me, after I had said he should be fired for lying to customers(which made the manager quite defensive). Needless to say, that was the last thing I ever bought from Best Buy. Sounds like you ran into the same scam, but with an antivirus.

Edit: Thankfully, the magazines were understanding. 1 refunded me all but the price of the 1 issue they sent me. The other one thought they had sent me 3, but found they had a typo in my address. Once that was found(and I corrected them), they easily refunded me all that they charged me.