uniqs
« [HN9000] Pre-Payingno connection »
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 6 · 7 · 8 · next
mistyblades
join:2015-02-08

mistyblades to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius

Re: [Networking] Online Gaming on HughesNet

Any updates on these games since they have "new" technology?
Im new to hughesnet, really my ONLY option besides a hotspot and thats not happening.
Found out CODBO2 is OUT. Log in and chat but don't try and play. i was 1 n 6 and saw 2 people. NOT GOOD.
I don't get how/why SOME people have no issues with games such as halo/COD but others have no prayer.
Ive read WOW works flawlessly and uses up hardly any data, can play for HOURS and not touch the data. To... LAGGING city and flies through data.
I understand every location is different but shouldn't MOST things be the same?
Ugh, this sucks. Im an addict.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
Anyone able to play Guild Wars 2 with any of the satellite services without much problem?
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
When my ping was around 650ms - 700ms I had it running somewhat smoothly for all but five minutes. I used an interp of .5 and even though I wasn't rubber banding like crazy there was quite a delay. I have a 3G hotspot on it's way through Virgin Mobile but I am not sure how well it will work or if it will work at all. According to Virgin Mobile's coverage map my address is in 3G territory. The only thing that sucks is even if it works for online gaming I won't be able to use it to update my games due to a 6GB data cap which is the highest data plan they offer.

Hue
@direcway.com

Hue to Xtreme2damax

Anon

to Xtreme2damax
Use a 3G or 4G tether if you can. I've tried it for shits and giggles once on Hughesnet and I was just rubber banding all over because of the lag. It's impossible to get anything done. Team Fortress 2 is completely unplayable. Unless of course you're one of those guys who goes on an AFK server for hats and crap. You can do that.
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
Anyone here familiar with Team Fortress 2? So long as latency stays around 600ms - 700ms is there any kind of game specific network tweaks such as different rates, interp etc.. I can use that will allow me to play some classes such as Engineer or Medic? My parents have a Gen4 system and I am torn between getting satellite internet for myself or trying to find a provider that will give me 3G or 4G coverage where I am.
smithcorey24
join:2013-08-28

smithcorey24 to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
I play Perfect World, World of Tanks, Dragonball Online, and Fallen Earth constantly while also using Teamspeak3 with no problems at all. I use the lowest package with the HN9000. I always have my allowance status up in a browser tab on one of my other monitors and none of these games use more than 50 megs playing 12 hours straight.
Finn532
join:2012-07-03

Finn532 to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
I got into the World of Tanks 360 Edition beta, it works on Hughesnet but because of lack of precision using a 360 controller, playing it is quite a chore. It's playable, just not very enjoyable. The PC version works much better.
NellieFunke
join:2013-08-07
Waverly, NY

NellieFunke to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
Has anyone tried ffxiv beta on the ps3 I would love to know if it works as well as wow does on hughesnet. I currently have gen4 and I can play battlefield 3 on my ps3 with it but I was not able to get into the beta for ffxiv.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

said by diablo18926:

said by Finn532:

I've never used Gaia Online for anything more than a forum. Whenever I tried the towns it was just a lot of floating names or failed connection attempts. I've never gotten Zomg to work either, but I haven't bothered trying in well over a year. All the other games seem to work decent enough.

EDIT: I downloaded a F2P game called Warframe from Steam, I've only played a few games but so far it's worked fairly decent, as far as gaming goes on Hughesnet. It's kind of like Mass Effect meets GunZ The Duel. A few games I've completed and some I've lost connection, unknown if it's because of Hughes or if it's because it's still open beta. Expect some delay when shooting/opening doors/ opening containers, but it's not too bad.

Thanks Finn i will look into this game in the am... I am about done with crysis 2 MP for good, players always banning me and harassing me, video tapping me and uploading a video of me lagging super bad.. Its fun the first time or two but after that it just gets down right irritating like a broken record player. No one likes to hear the same BS over and over!

I just now tried torchlight 2 out about a second ago and it don't upload and download very much data if at ALL.. So im thinking of moving my business over to there and warframe for the time being.

Happy gaming!(:

I'v been pushing to make this game work for a few days now.. Yes the game is fun and yes there are just a few small issues but thats only at the beginning before the real fun begins. I just now made it to 2nd or 3rd planet and about the 6th area and gameplay is a disaster.

When you join a area that no ones currently already in, you begin to be host.. whoever joins an area thats empty first is host. I just now joined one area and everyone that joined started complaining about the massive lag within seconds. I even saw some glitches on my side when opening lockers that hold items and if say someone with great connection hosts then I get all the lag but i see hick ups where the enemies will completely stand still and not do anything (same as players, or even disappear) hell i can possibly lag right on by every single enemy and they would'nt expect a thing and i would beat the game this way. (same thing as using a hacker but i don't use hacks)

I dont think its possible for me to continue anymore... at this point of the game i am currently at, it is just far too hard i can easily make over 50 or even 100 deaths all in the same area and same little spott where a group of enemies are at and it does'nt even have to be very big one neither. The enemies that i am defeating off at this part of the game will latch onto your character and bring you to the enemy (while bringing health down in the proccess) its just like diablo 3.. every now and then i get disconnected and game has to reconnect but before i even get connection back i could be dead already.. The part where the enemies grab a hold of your character is my biggest issue now and if there are MOE then ONE of those enemies in the group then it could be a complete disastor where multiple of those are grabbing on my charcter and my character getting drug from one corner to the next and so one (while the lag is visible) and you will be just sitting there thinking WTF im not even touching my keyboard or mouse.

oh and torchlight 2 online has been flawless lately.
diablo18926

diablo18926 to Finn532

to Finn532
said by Finn532:

I've never used Gaia Online for anything more than a forum. Whenever I tried the towns it was just a lot of floating names or failed connection attempts. I've never gotten Zomg to work either, but I haven't bothered trying in well over a year. All the other games seem to work decent enough.

EDIT: I downloaded a F2P game called Warframe from Steam, I've only played a few games but so far it's worked fairly decent, as far as gaming goes on Hughesnet. It's kind of like Mass Effect meets GunZ The Duel. A few games I've completed and some I've lost connection, unknown if it's because of Hughes or if it's because it's still open beta. Expect some delay when shooting/opening doors/ opening containers, but it's not too bad.

Thanks Finn i will look into this game in the am... I am about done with crysis 2 MP for good, players always banning me and harassing me, video tapping me and uploading a video of me lagging super bad.. Its fun the first time or two but after that it just gets down right irritating like a broken record player. No one likes to hear the same BS over and over!

I just now tried torchlight 2 out about a second ago and it don't upload and download very much data if at ALL.. So im thinking of moving my business over to there and warframe for the time being.

Happy gaming!(:
diragono
join:2005-07-21
Decatur, TN

diragono to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
Wondering if anyone has tried Defiance yet? It looks really cool, but there isn't a demo or anything, so I don't want to waste $60 bucks and not be able to play it. If it plays out like Planetside that would be awesome, but I really don't know
Finn532

1 edit

Finn532 to Max Mouse

to Max Mouse

Max Mouse
join:2010-02-28

Max Mouse to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
Really annoying when I have tell your friends over and over that you can't play COD online with you because you have Satellite then they go and say it should even with slow internet but they still dont get it..so I got to go and explain to them like 100 times about Latency and Delay from Home to Satellite

I just realized HughesNet started working with Gaiaonline virtual towns and Rally chat areas .... but still stuck on login with Gaiaonline Zomg's MMO
Finn532

Finn532 to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
UPDATE: There is no longer a long wait to log-in in World of Tanks v0.8.4. I've played almost 200 games in the last week, and have had almost no connection issues. They also have added much better physics to the game so it's much harder to get stuck on some random rock or rubble. The input lag makes the game harder especially when trying to maneuver an agile tank, but I still find it quite fun.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

1 edit

diablo18926 to The Huntsman

to The Huntsman
said by The Huntsman:

They haven't yet given me a reason, but based on what I've seen, I suspect that they're going to accuse me of hacking. I didn't hack. I wouldn't even know how to hack. I'm thinking this is somehow related to HughesNet. Maybe the web acceleration or the turbo pages? I don't know. I'm going to try to appeal the thing once they actually accuse me of it - should they accuse me of it - but has something like this happened to anybody else while playing an online game via HughesNet?

The reason why they say your hacking is because other players see you glitching and this says "hey your using some sorta trainer to make you teleport and move faster than others" The reason why your teleporting is because the ping is so outrages, sometimes connection will also get lost and then comes back witch makes you teleport. The reason why your moving so fast is because the game server your playing on can't keep up with your lag, your just too laggy.

I played crysis 3 on launch day and other players thought that i was using a trainer.. I have 1 question. How can I be cheating on a game that just launched?? tell me HOW?! I could'nt have been, the game just launched, my ping was saying 650.. and one other thing, if the players see you have 999 ping or whatever they will try to ban you, they will also try to record you while your saying your not a cheater but really lagging. Its extremely frusterating sometimes. No one wants to play against someone who looks like they are cheating..
Finn532

Finn532 to The Huntsman

to The Huntsman
FlyFF and Runescape are the only MMOs that I've played over a long enough period to know for certain you won't get banned for high pings. League of Legends and Runes of Magic also work, but LoL is hard enough without the input lag and RoM just doesn't hold my attention. Not to mention LoL and RoM have pretty large patch sizes that rely on P2P connections, it took me almost a week to patch each of them. I'm on the HN9000 so it may work better on Gen4.

It's a real drag trying to play anything over Hughesnet, I feel your pain.
The Huntsman
join:2011-10-19
United State

The Huntsman

They didn't appeal the ban. It's a good thing I was playing a free account, but now I'm worried about ever getting a paid account for an MMORPG in the future. If they think you're hacking, they're not going to let you appeal. If you show their system has cracks, it undermines them, so they'd rather ban the innocent to keep the guilty away. Pissed off, none-the-less.
The Huntsman

The Huntsman to Finn532

to Finn532
said by Finn532:

They'll probably try to pin you with lag switching. You might be able to appeal it with screenshots of your ping times and explaining high pings are normal on Hughesnet. I've been accused by randoms on Xbox Live of hacking while playing Red Dead Redemption and GTA4 because of lag, but I've never been banned.

Thanks. I attached an image from two different tests showing my ping in the high 600s. Normally, it's in the 700s, but it's close enough. Reading the definition of lag switch, I don't think anything like that happened because I got my ass kicked in PVP and people certainly weren't standing still. But it does seem to be the most likely thing that I would be accused of. I know with certainty that I didn't do anything that violated the rules.
Finn532

Finn532 to The Huntsman

to The Huntsman
They'll probably try to pin you with lag switching. You might be able to appeal it with screenshots of your ping times and explaining high pings are normal on Hughesnet. I've been accused by randoms on Xbox Live of hacking while playing Red Dead Redemption and GTA4 because of lag, but I've never been banned.
The Huntsman
join:2011-10-19
United State

The Huntsman to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
With Gen4 and the HT1000, I decided to start playing some games. I installed World of Warcraft, and it worked, but I never really liked it so I decided to download DC Universe Online. It played very smoothly and I greatly enjoyed it, until today... I started playing PVP and it worked very well - I won a few matches and lost a few matches - but a few hours later I discovered that I was banned.

They haven't yet given me a reason, but based on what I've seen, I suspect that they're going to accuse me of hacking. I didn't hack. I wouldn't even know how to hack. I'm thinking this is somehow related to HughesNet. Maybe the web acceleration or the turbo pages? I don't know. I'm going to try to appeal the thing once they actually accuse me of it - should they accuse me of it - but has something like this happened to anybody else while playing an online game via HughesNet?

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to Finn532

to Finn532
Yes, I have (with the HT1000, didnt have to disable accelerator) every now and then lag will spike up a bit but good play.. Game don't require much bandwidth neither, the download proccess for me toke from 3am (when it was released) till about 10 minutes to half an hour past 1:00pm so that totals up to being about 10 hours straight downloading and no pausing/stopping.

I have a video uploaded if anyone wants to check it out but i will warn you that you might hear a lot of skyping in the background so just ignore that. »www.dropbox.com/sh/eoktq ··· 2-62.avi

Also the video will skip, thats normal for i put recording on pause every now and then throughout video.
Finn532

1 edit

Finn532 to diablo18926

to diablo18926
You can get the Crysis 3 open beta on Xbox Live, if I'm up during free time I'll download it. I played Crysis on the PC and I wasn't really thrilled. I played Crysis 2 on the 360 and it had very good visuals, even on the 360, it just wasn't that fun in my opinion. If the multiplayer is anything like any other FPS on Hughesnet, it probably won't connect to games, and even if it did, it'd probably be unplayable.

EDIT: I downloaded the Crysis 3 beta on Live, took just over 2 hours to download a the 1.4 gig package. I tried playing with turbo page enabled and disabled but was never able to get past "Initializing playlists" screen. Maybe someone using Gen4 will have better luck?

Zzzz.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
Anyone up for a little beta testing and see what old HN can do?
Here's my latest post on it: »Crysis 3 Beta
Finn532

1 edit

Finn532 to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
Sorry for the double post. I tried Borderlands 2 multiplayer and it was much like the first, being you can connect to people's games but it really isn't an enjoyable experience. You rubber band all over the place, making picking up items a chore, and the delay it which it takes to shoot at your enemies makes it difficult to get anything done. If you have extraordinary patience, you might want to try to play online. It's unplayable in my opinion.

I also tried Assassins Creed 3 multiplayer but I wasn't able to even connect to the Ubisoft servers. I also think that I've never had any of the uPlay stuff work either. It always says "Service is unavailable" or something.

The Dead Space 3 co-op demo was unplayable as well. Given that enemies rush at you, often giving you little time to react as it is, having network delay just makes it unplayable.
Finn532

Finn532 to MmOgAmEr

to MmOgAmEr
said by MmOgAmEr :
You have personally confirmed what exactly? That you can log in? Have you actually tried to play through the content in any of those games successfully with that much delay? Come on... it is ridiculous to say that those games will play "just fine." I guarantee you or anyone else would fail miserably in any pvp event or difficult pve encounter in those games you mentioned. You will be bound to doing errand type quests and other simple tasks like crafting or kill quests with easy mobs.

I would say it is good for social games, but Hughesnet doesn't even play some (like Second Life) well because they constantly stream and eat up your allowance.
There are a lot of other places on the net you can go and vent anonymously, try there. Hughesnet doesn't work well for anything, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect otherwise. The games listed here as "playable", are, but just barely. Truthfully, it's better than nothing.

MmOgAmEr
@direcway.com

MmOgAmEr to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius
You have personally confirmed what exactly? That you can log in? Have you actually tried to play through the content in any of those games successfully with that much delay? Come on... it is ridiculous to say that those games will play "just fine." I guarantee you or anyone else would fail miserably in any pvp event or difficult pve encounter in those games you mentioned. You will be bound to doing errand type quests and other simple tasks like crafting or kill quests with easy mobs.

I would say it is good for social games, but Hughesnet doesn't even play some (like Second Life) well because they constantly stream and eat up your allowance.

Doc Lithius
join:2009-08-19
Rock, MI

Doc Lithius to MmOgAmEr

to MmOgAmEr
Friend, I have personally confirmed the following MMOs work just fine under HughesNet:
- Rusty Hearts
- World of Warcraft
- MapleStory
- GrandChase
- Ragnarok Online
- City of Heroes
(this one's kind of dead now, though)
- Champions Online
- Guild Wars
- Phantasy Star Online
(emulated server only)
- Vindictus (solo play and towns only)
- Mabinogi
- Cartoon Network FusionFall
(uses a load of bandwidth, though)
- PlanetSide (yes, I'm serious)
Others have confirmed even more.

But just like with any kind of online game, some work under HughesNet and some don't. I'm not arguing that Perfect World Online doesn't work. I can't confirm or deny that because I've never tried. But I do know that most every other MMO out there seems to work just fine. Yes, there's input lag. But for the most part, it's manageable.

So, yeah.
Finn532

Finn532 to MmOgAmEr

to MmOgAmEr
Then play an MMO that can actually be enjoyable on Hughesnet. Runes of Magic, Runescape, and Flyff all work decent enough. There is input lag, but it's not a major issue if you're used to playing on Dialup.

MmOgAmEr
@direcway.com

MmOgAmEr to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius
Reading the people saying that certain MMOs work just fine... that is complete BS. The best you can hope to do is log in a game and stand around and talk. Many times that doesn't even work. Maybe HughesNet can be somewhat effective with just social MMOs or something. But even then, games like Second Life are continually streaming something and it just eats up your allowance.

Trying to play an MMORPG like Perfect World (which is an older and less demanding game), I got totally destroyed in anything I tried to do. Timing is just so terribly impossible with the latency that you can not react to anything fast enough to make your gaming enjoyable. I actually gave up trying the satellite and used dial up with Perfect World and it was far more playable than with HughesNet.

To top it off, lately HughesNet is just constantly losing signal or something. Half the times I click on a link it just takes me to a broken page. So it isn't even effective for browsing the internet these days much less playing any games.
Finn532

2 edits

Finn532 to ladeeda

to ladeeda
said by ladeeda :
Does anyone know if MAG actually works on the Ps3?
Even if you could connect to a game, you'd be so far behind other players in terms of latency that you wouldn't be able to get kills and would most likely be unplayable. I don't have a Ps3, so I don't have first hand experience with the game, but my experience with other twitch based shooters says it wouldn't be playable.