uniqs
« [HN9000] Pre-Payingno connection »
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · next

Doc Lithius
join:2009-08-19
Rock, MI

Doc Lithius

Re: [Networking] Online Gaming on HughesNet

- War Inc. (Unplayable?) -- After joining a random server, everything seemed to be going alright. I logged in just fine, could move freely, fire at thing, etc. However, everyone moved very, very jerkily around, their positions updating about once per second. No one seemed to be targeting me either and, despite unloading a full clip into a random soldier, they did not fall, or even turn around. I'm going to say this one's unplayable.
Doc Lithius

Doc Lithius

More for the money.

- Sanctum (Mostly Unplayable) -- As expected from the first-person shooter genre, there's way too much rubber-band lag to make for a completely positive gaming experience. However, much like with Borderlands, if you really must, it's doable with some amount of patience and maybe a bit of lucky...
- Terraria (Mostly Playable?) -- I'm not completely confident in my rating on this one... I joined a couple of different servers earlier tonight, and while I couldn't mine anything and had a door explode on me when I tried to close it, I could run around and fight mobs just fine. So... I'd say "Mostly Playable" works.
Doc Lithius

Doc Lithius

Got another one.

- Spiral Knights (Mostly Playable) -- There is a lot of rubber band-lag in this game, but it's not entirely unplayable. You just have to be patient and really make sure you're aiming where you're attacking. Except to take a lot of damage in rooms with hurt-floors.
Doc Lithius

3 edits

Doc Lithius

Two new games.
Edit: And a third.
Second Edit: And a fourth, fifth, and an update on two other games.

- World of Tanks (Unplayable) -- Can't log in. Period. Thus, can't play.
- Champions Online (Mostly Playable) -- There's a funny bit of rubber-band lag on occasion, but it doesn't seem to throw you back to where you were. Actually, the game seems to try and catch up to where you are, rather! There's also a bit of oddness in executing attacks, as you seem to do it twice, but the second time is the actual attack. Otherwise? Runs about as well as City of Heroes.
- La Tale (Unplayable) -- Some games will use a bit of "chat-back" to figure out where you are and what you're doing. La Tale does not. It uses "remote-only" netcode, rather than "local vs. remote" netcode. Thus, if you press forward, you don't move until the remote server says you did. This makes the game largely unplayable, since most people aren't going to want to sit there and get destroyed by Purings because they can't attack or even run away before they get hit. MapleStory is a much better choice, for this type of MMORPG on Hughesnet.
- Rumble Fighter (Unplayable) -- Not much has changed since I last reported in on this one. Rather than not connecting during the patching process, however, the game fails to connect after loading and the program closes quietly and without an error message.
- GunBound (Fully Playable) -- Nothing new to report here. It still runs perfectly.
- ShellShock Live (Fully Playable) -- Much like GunBound, ShellShock Live (a Flash spiritual successor to Scorched Earth) runs perfectly! It may fail to connect if your connection is occupied with something else, but this is fairly rare and easily fixable by reconnecting.
- Zone4 (Mostly Unplayable) -- While you can play this one, it's not advised, since it -- like many other free-to-play games -- uses remote-side netcode. However, it's surprisingly reactive in some cases. I was almost able to PvP against someone during my testing. Still, it does get tiresome after a while... So, not recommended.
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar to Oroshi

to Oroshi
Not to beat a dead horse but did you look into millinicom. They have a 20 GB per month plan off the verizon towers for $60 a month and a 50 GB a month plan off the sprint towers for $70 a month with no contract on either. As far as WOW go's you can try switching to a less crowded server but in reality it works for some and not for others depending on how crowded the beam you are on is. I wish you luck.

Oroshi
@direcway.com

Oroshi to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius
Ok, i've been trying to play wow for a week now idk y but it's horrible right now i don't live 2 rurally but i can only get hughesnet or aircards which are 2 LIMITED so any help that would like help the game run better and also is City of Heroes any good cuz i've been trying 2 get that for years.?
Lightwell
join:2010-10-21
US

1 edit

Lightwell to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
I'm a whore for wikis, ill help contribute.

Also, i think im going to resub to CoH tonight, yay.

Edit: Has anyone played Rift yet? The main reason i ask is because their coding allows them to have a hundred or so mobs on screen at once with no lag, so im wondering how the game might mesh with us. I might just buy it this weekend since i havent been able to get a trial key.

Doc Lithius
Rock, MI

Doc Lithius

Two more to throw into the mix!

Killing Floor (Almost sort of playable) -- Pretty much the exact same results as Monday Night Combat; there's a deal of "rubber band lag" or teleporting and missed shots that come with first-person shooters. Even moving around can be a hassle at times.

City of Heroes (Perfectly playable!) -- Now, someone prior to this post reported that City of Heroes had a lot of connection issues. I would just to say that this is no longer true. The netcode works almost as well as World of Warcraft, even when you're lagging to high-Heaven. There is a little rubber-band lag, but that usually comes from moving too fast or trying to climb up on top of things.

Also! I'm debating starting a satellite gaming wiki on Wikia. I think it would be a helpful and useful one-stop shop for people like us who are stuck with Hughesnet (or WildBlue), but still want to get their game on. Kind of like this thread, but considerably more organized. Sound like a plan?
Doc Lithius

Doc Lithius

Borderlands (Almost sort of playable) -- Pretty much the exact same results as Monday Night Combat -- there's a deal of "rubber band lag" or "teleporting" and missed shots that come with most first-person shooters. Even moving around can be a hassle at times. However, if you absolutely must, it's considerably more do-able than say Team Fortress 2.
zeddlar
Jay, OK

zeddlar

Here are those pings not sure what is up, these are the worst pings i have ever gotten.

Pinging testmy.net [174.120.187.140] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 174.120.187.140: bytes=32 time=1393ms TTL=47
Reply from 174.120.187.140: bytes=32 time=1847ms TTL=47
Reply from 174.120.187.140: bytes=32 time=1128ms TTL=47
Reply from 174.120.187.140: bytes=32 time=1118ms TTL=47
Reply from 174.120.187.140: bytes=32 time=1238ms TTL=47
Reply from 174.120.187.140: bytes=32 time=1218ms TTL=47

Pinging any-fp.wa1.b.yahoo.com [98.137.149.56] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 98.137.149.56: bytes=32 time=1216ms TTL=51
Reply from 98.137.149.56: bytes=32 time=1028ms TTL=51
Reply from 98.137.149.56: bytes=32 time=1228ms TTL=51
Reply from 98.137.149.56: bytes=32 time=1128ms TTL=51
Reply from 98.137.149.56: bytes=32 time=1128ms TTL=51
Reply from 98.137.149.56: bytes=32 time=1238ms TTL=51
Reply from 98.137.149.56: bytes=32 time=1748ms TTL=51
Reply from 98.137.149.56: bytes=32 time=1841ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 98.137.149.56:
Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1028ms, Maximum = 1841ms, Average = 1301ms
zeddlar

zeddlar to Lightwell

to Lightwell
Still has the jitter, I will post some pings tomorrow, 2 am here and I am beat.
Lightwell
US

Lightwell to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
Ya im curious about this as well. But im not sure if i could convince myself to upgrade or just stick it out until an alternative is offered here.

Doc Lithius
Rock, MI

Doc Lithius to zeddlar

to zeddlar
You know something? If it wasn't for the price, it might be worth my time to upgrade to one of the modern plans. That's a pretty decent connection speed, right there! But then again... is it any more stable? Rather, does it have any less jitter than the old plans? ("Jitter", for those who don't know, basically means "inconsistent ping results" such as "750ms -> 912ms -> 891ms -> 519ms -> 1024ms" vs. "600ms -> 605ms -> 591ms -> 600ms -> 599ms".)
zeddlar
Jay, OK

zeddlar to Gamer831

to Gamer831
Well I am on the power 200 or the express 200 plan, not sure because I upgraded from the small business package and not sure whether they recommisioned me as a small business or a residential customer but the plans are the same speeds and FAP either way and I recieve my plan speeds or better pretty much 24 hours a day. The FAP is advertised at 400 MB but I get 550 MB. Once in a while during prime time my speeds fall to 1.3 to 1.6 MB but not every day.

Gamer831
@direcway.com

Gamer831 to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius
Has anyone tested out the new plans for gaming? HughesNet released the Express 200,300,500 they have 512kbps and 1024 kbps of upload speeds

Doc Lithius
Rock, MI

1 edit

Doc Lithius

I have to change the status of one game now.

Minecraft (Retail) (Playable! But Bandwidth-Intensive...) -- As of Patch 1.3_01, survival multiplayer appears to work on Hughesnet! Maps load completely and you can collect resources and build with little problem. There's a little bit of "rubber band" lag on occasion, but it's perfectly do-able. Just don't expect to win if you get into a melee fight with a Skeleton. ;3

Edit: This just in! Minecraft Survival Multiplayer is very bandwidth-intensive! After doing a little research into the matter, I found that with the way Minecraft currently works, it sends and re-sends the entire map to you whether you need your local copy updated or not. You can easily lose several MB of bandwidth in a small period of time in this way. So while you can play Minecraft online... it's probably not advised for servers with large map files. (Usually older servers. Rarely newer servers.)
Lightwell
US

Lightwell to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
Thats a shame about minecraft, I bought it when it was still in alpha but i havent played it online. Guess my brother and i wont be having any tower building contests anytime soon.

Two Turbine games to add to the list

Lord of the Rings Online (WORKS) -- Same input lag as everything else. Also there is some slight rubber band lag here and there but overall very playable.

Dungeons and Dragons Online (WORKS KIND OF) -- The input lag and rubber band lag are much more pronounced here. Of all the MMOs i play on satellite, this is probably one i wont continue. The shame of it is, with the game's slower gameplay it would fit perfect with our connection, but the lag gets in the way too much.

Both of these games are now free to play if anyone was wanting to check them out before.

Doc Lithius
Rock, MI

Doc Lithius

Minecraft Retail (Not Playable) -- For whatever reason, Minecraft retail does not work in the same way as Classic does. The map never fully loads, there are numerous disconnect errors, and it's impossible to harvest resources of any kind. In short, it just doesn't work on Hughesnet.
Damaeus
join:2011-02-05

Damaeus to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
While I have dialup connection for it, occasionally I play Final Fantasy XI Online over HughesNet. That game is geared so that even broadband players only have the bandwidth of a dialup connection., and like World of Warcraft, there is a bit of a delay between issuing commands and seeing them carried out.

One little thing that happens, which looks kind of weird in the game, is when you're running around, you see yourself moving constantly, but there are intermittent pauses for all other characters. Seeing 5-17 other players all pause at the same time looks strange when running through the game world. Plus other players tell me that my character doesn't really run. It just jumps from point to point like I'm teleporting.

I have not been in many parties on satellite, but I can tell you that it is annoying when I need to land a cure spell quickly and that delay hits. I sometimes feel like people have died in intense battle situations because of my own latency. Dialup works far FAR better than satellite on Final Fantasy XI.

Doc Lithius
Rock, MI

Doc Lithius

I keep forgetting to add this one...

Monday Night Combat (Almost sort of playable) -- I'm not sure why, but this game actually does work. Unfortunately, it doesn't work well as there's still the usual amount of "teleporting" and missed shots that come with most first-person shooters. Even moving around can be a hassle at times. However, if you absolutely must, it's considerably more do-able than say Team Fortress 2.
Lightwell
US

Lightwell to NeoAnime

to NeoAnime
Has anyone tried LOTOR or DDO since they went free2play? I was thinking about downloaded them to test them out/play unless someone has has issues with them.
NeoAnime
join:2011-01-10
Wheatland, MO

NeoAnime to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
Can someone let me know if on the playstation 3 if the game "little big planet" works in online mode or if it lags to much..

I do not have HughesNet yet.. but wanted to see if this game worked on it, since my kid loves to play it.. thanks!

Doc Lithius
Rock, MI

1 edit

Doc Lithius

Just a random heads-up here... I had not had the chance to test this prior, but I can safely say that the following game works (almost) perfectly with Hughesnet!:
- Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (Works!) -- As with Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty and Heroes of Newerth, there's a little delay between when you issue a command and when it's actually done. A second or two of delay shouldn't adversely affect you, though.

I'd also like to give the following update:
- World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (Works pretty well) -- Since the last expansion pack dropped, even I've had some major lag issues with cross-realm interactions (Battlegrounds, Dungeon Finder), but that may just be the realm/battlegroup I'm playing on. Lag also seems to increase considerably with the more people that are in one area, especially during peak times. Gilneas doesn't seem to be affected by this lag, but Kezan/The Lost Isles have been known to lag considerably, particularly during the "weed eater" quests. There's also been reports that the new dungeons are lagging to the point of being unplayable. Logging into, or sometime simply entering Stormwind City or Orgrimmar can also generate a lot of lag for you, depending on the number of people on at the time. The lag doesn't seem to be a problem most of the time, but depending on what you're doing or where you're doing it, be alert.

diablo92
@direcway.com

diablo92 to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius
Far cry 2 is maybe a big game players play while using Hughes net, there are times when ubi or the far cry 2 server will crash to where its dead and totally unplayable, but just give them time to do repairs.. i have noticed on my far cry 2, i can't access map community (at all) and have'nt for quite some long time now.. far cry 2 is a first person action shooting game, can be played on pc or 360 or ps3.. you can contact someone i know that is a host for far cry 2 (mrsunshine58) he hosts on a server called FC2-ACIONMAPS... you can also contact him or visit his site @ >>http://www.fc2-actionmaps.com/
wolf22741
join:2010-11-28

wolf22741 to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius

please test

can someone test Red Dead Redemption multiplayer, it looks great but i dont even want to try before someone tells me if it works or not, if it doesn't work it would just be a huge waste of time.
Max Mouse
join:2010-02-28

Max Mouse to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius

Halo 1 works awful with Hughesnet. Lags like Hell. But Halo 1 works with Dial up so you can simply just use Dial up.

You will have extreme trouble killing others, picking up items or weapons or anything, getting in a vehicle, Driving a Vehicle And go where you want to go. Because you'll be just randomly moving all over the place...

End after the end of a game where it shows how many your friends killed like all of them have killed 20 times.. While you only have killed 2.

Craig XBL
@direcway.com

Craig XBL to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius
Add Me: Craig XBL
If two people with bad connections "such as Hughesnet" play together it should work perfectly fine. There would be no delay. So add me and we can all test it out
Expand your moderator at work

dugan
@direcway.com

dugan to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius

I "upgraded" from the 7000 to the 9000 some time ago. when playing wow on the 7000 i seem to remember lagg running from 700 to 1100 ms. Now w/ the 9000 it runs 1200 to 2000 to unplayable. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance
kenlongjr
join:2009-11-30
Cheraw, SC

kenlongjr to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
I know dal can be an issue, but when i take my pc elsewhere I don't have problems. and I can even deal with dal a lot more than I can the random dcs in raids and not being able to log back in for hours