normal
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · next

Doc Lithius

join:2009-08-19
Rock, MI

1 edit
reply to Doc Lithius

Re: [Networking] Online Gaming on HughesNet

Ugh... Much to my chagrin, I have another game to add to the ever-growing pile of "can't play" games...

- CosmicBreak (Unplayable) -- I can play offline mode just fine and the tutorial worked perfectly, but directly after selecting my union and any time after, entering the lobby makes my frame rate drop to FAR below 1 frame-per-second. What's more, Windows reports the game as "Not Responding" between frames and there is not a single other person in the lobby with me, no matter which channel I hop on. Admittedly, I can navigate the menus with a lot of patience, but I really don't think this is supposed to happen. It seems like something is snagging with the connection. Or something like that.

I've sent the above paragraph to tech support in hopes of an answer, but I don't really expect anything helpful.

Edit: Hooray for 100 posts to this topic! I couldn't have done it without your guys' interest.
--
ISP: HughesNet Satellite Internet
Modem Model: HN9000
Service Plan: Grandfathered ProPlus -- 425MB + 50MB/day, 1.6 Mbps DL; 250 Kbps UL)

Doc Lithius

Rock, MI
- Vindictus (Mixed Results) -- This one is a weird one. Interacting with people in town works just fine and forming a party to play by yourself works perfectly. However, playing in someone else's party is quite impossible... You can't move when in someone else's party at all. Similarly, someone else in your party will be just as immobile. But... the game is relatively simple, so playing by yourself shouldn't be that big of an issue. You just can't do raid missions.
--
Service Plan: Grandfathered ProPlus -- 425MB + 50MB/day, 1.6 Mbps DL; 250 Kbps UL)

Doc Lithius

Rock, MI
- Cartoon Network Universe: FusionFall (Mostly Playable, Uses Mass Bandwidth) -- I can't explain why this game uses anywhere near as much bandwidth as it does, but in a half-hour time frame, I went from 460-some MB available to 225 MB. And this was just in the tutorial area! Otherwise, it seems to play alright enough. You can interact with people, enemies, NPCs... You take a lot of damage when you shouldn't, though, since the game views where you are on their end instead of where you are on your end. I highly suggest waiting until the free period to play this.

- Facebook - Farmville (Fully Playable, Uses a Lot of Bandwidth) -- Another game I can't explain the bandwidth usage for. Otherwise, perfectly playable.

- Rusty Hearts (Fully Playable) -- I haven't run across any problems playing solo yet, but I haven't tested being in a party. Chances are, it may work similar to how Vindictus does, but don't quote me on that.
--
Service Plan: Grandfathered ProPlus -- 425MB + 100MB/day, 1.6 Mbps DL; 250 Kbps UL)

suceress

join:2008-04-04
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

2 edits
reply to Doc Lithius
I would like to clarify further about how WoW works on Hughesnet. I have the $80 plan and the HN7000S. My upload speeds tend to be slower than dialup and I average around 1200ms latency. I never get below 800ms (and if it ever gets that low it is very early in the morning when hardly anyone is online).

In addition to a delay in actions uploading, I have noticed that there is graphical lag in terms of positions of moving npcs, mobs, and players. On my screen these aforementioned things can appear to be right in front of me (or rather, I can have my character practically inside of them) but the game will report them as being too far away. Despite any speed enhancements on my mount or for my character, I always run/fly/move slower than other players and keeping up can be quite difficult at times.

Even more annoying is the fact that detrimental effects such as stun, fear, daze, blind, etc always last longer than they should. There is a delay in them wearing off-- sometimes up to 10 seconds longer than they should be in effect.

PvP is nearly impossible on my connection unless the people I'm against are lazy or just really suck at pvp. Other players can literally run 20 circles around me before I can so much as get my character to move.

This holds true for any computer I use-- my framerate is consistently 60 to 50fps.

City of Heroes is a game that is completely unplayable on Hughesnet. I couldn't even get logged in at all.

SecondLife did not work. I got in but when I tried to move nothing happened and then I would suddenly fly across the room and hit a wall. This went on for about 30 minutes before I just gave up.

Wizards101 was playable because it is turn based.

Mafia Wars 2 is not really playable as it takes far too long to load and drains far too much bandwidth.

Farmville was playable until recently. In the last couple of weeks I have not been able to get it to load. It also takes more bandwidth to download.

Zombie Lane used to be playable but lately has not been playable at all as it won't load.

Ravenwood and Ravensky load eventually but suck bandwidth away and cause all sorts of errors with "excessive LAN traffic" and "uplink queuing".

EverQuest has a lot of rubberbanding and takes forever to login. Nine times out of ten I get kicked to login screen while trying to login and it takes in excess of five minutes every single time I zone- that is if I don't get disconnected while zoning. I can spend up to 3 hours trying to get back in.

When I played BioShock 2 it wouldn't let me save my game because it required a windows live login, but it timed out every time I tried to login.

In short, Hughesnet sucks and I am desperately seeking a real broadband ISP.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Dungeons & Dragons Online is playable if you don't mind hiccups where you suddenly stop moving and then can start moving again.

Lord of the Rings Online is playable but there is quite a lot of rubberbanding. It makes time sensitive quests rather difficult because you can jump over a hurdle or pass a certain area and suddenly you are popped back behind and have to do it again. Sometimes you may have to jump over a hurdle/wall/etc 5 times before it stops rubberbanding you.

wispy

@direcway.com
Terraria -- I've found Terraria too discouraging to play. It works sometimes, but yet the lag is just enough to make you die all the time from enemies that aren't actually where they appear.

Minecraft -- I can't play at all during the day. It plays reliably from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m, and I can sometimes get it to play as early as Midnight.

Steam -- I can't connect to Steam most of the day, but isn't that the same with just about everything? I can't even connect to IRC or use Google during a good portion of the day until 11 P.M. I am looking for a fix.

Miss Match

join:2011-02-24
reply to suceress
Second Life works pretty well, except during peak hours. SL during peak hours has gotten significantly worse recently, to the point where I'm wondering what's up; I'm chalking it up to higher usage over Thanksgiving week, and hoping it calms down soon, because it's nigh unusable from 5 to 11 PM lately.

Like everything else, really.

Pheonix

@direcway.com
What about Roblox? Does it work?

budro5

join:2011-12-13

1 edit
reply to Miss Match
Same problem here, and not only with Second Life. From 6pm until 11pm CST, latency can cause up to 3 min lag in local chat. Download speeds can drop to CMDA 1x or below dialup speed, even many txt chat clients cease to work. This mostly happens Sunday through Thursday evenings and has become the norm for the past 3 or 4 months. During this nightly lagfest, if I can log on to Second Life, about all I can do is chat via direct instant messages. Moving becomes impossible, and if I try to sit, my avatar will appear in some off world area of the sim, like 0, 0, -45. In case anyone is wondering, Second Life is not a bandwidth hogging game. Unless you constantly visit simulators not stored in viewer cache and stream high bandwidth audio, it is possible to be logged on all day and not use more than 5% of your daily allowance.
I hope Hughes launches the new satellite soon, because I really have no other option besides dialup. Politicians have been talking about expanding broadband to rural customers for years, but this never happens. Cable, DSL, and cellular companies don't care how long rural America stays in the dark ages of internet.

Miss Match

join:2011-02-24
Three minutes isn't bad! Seven or more is the norm for me, if I can even log in.

It's true that Second Life is not bandwidth intensive if you know what to do. From what I understand, the reason it performs so poorly during congested hours is because there's constant communication between Linden Labs' severs and end users, even when it seems idle enough; which makes sense, since the world is kind of "streaming" anyway. Normal satellite latency isn't a problem for this, but it gets all zany and broken during congested hours.

Unfortunately, my "congested hours" are creeping in earlier and lasting later. Sigh. I have the same experience with other things during the 4 to 11 PM trainwreck, and logging into webmail or instant messengers can be as much of a challenge as logging into Second Life. Even basic web browsing is severely affected, and it's not uncommon for websites to load only in a "skeletal" text only appearance, or just time out, during the overcongested hours. It's very frustrating and disappointing.

Doc Lithius

Rock, MI
reply to Doc Lithius
- Super Monday Night Combat (Plays Poorly) -- As with the original Monday Night Combat, the netcode for this incarnation of the game works in a way which makes players with jittery connections zip around the arena. Even if you tap a directional button, you move at least, if not more than twice as far as you intended to. However, you can fire at and hit whatever you're aiming at most of the time, so... kind of a coin toss.
--
Service Plan: Grandfathered ProPlus -- 425 MB + 100 MB/day, 1050 MB total, 1.6 Mbps DL; 250 Kbps UL)

haibel

@direcway.com
reply to Doc Lithius
Final Fantasy XI and XIV both very playable on HN.

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Doc Lithius
The Reason Farmville on Facebook and other games like it are Bandwidth intensive is due to constant refreshing of the browser and Flash.So it is always updating ....Something that does help is to crank up the Flash cache.This allows a one time download and it stores it locally on your PC.

Second Life is unplayable.Tried many times finally quit.

Wow has started inconsistent drops and also has the "Rubberband Effect" if you lag and run across a room or area it will snap you back under the right conditions.It is still playable and I am waiting for MOP.

Tweakbl

join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Doc Lithius
Dekaron and Runes Of Magic both Play.

Dekaron took over 2 Moons a while back.2 Moons was a revamped port of Dekaron and it never gained a lot of Popularity.2Moons and Dekaron are essentially the same game.And it goes without saying the latency is like WOW and so is the game play lag.

Runes Of Magic is similar to WOW in many aspects but suffers from Higher Latency.

They are playable just do not expect miracles.

With Hughesnet you MUST learn when the peak times are.There is a inherited "Mechanical Latency" with Satellites.Some Satellites are older then others.And as such when they get people hitting them with Requests it lags...this happens during peak times.

I can get 800 ms Religiously out of Peak Time.But At EXACTLY 3 PM EST (and lasts) till 10 PM EST its over 1200 ms or worse.Whether its a Throttle by Software or if its due to the Mechanical Lag I dunno.I do think that Hughes states in the Agreement we all sign that it has measures in place to ensure equal balance to all customers.

I am looking forward to the new Satellite called Jupiter though.Its gonna help a lot I hope.

Doc Lithius

Rock, MI
reply to Doc Lithius
- Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo 3DS) (Fully Playable*) -- As far as I can tell, the online aspects of the game work perfectly under Hughesnet! I've both won and lost races playing against random opponents and it wasn't due to lag by any means. Your opponent appears live on your screen and you appear live on theirs, from what I can tell, despite the 1200~ms latency and 600~ms jitter. This is especially exciting for me because several friends of mine have the ame now.

* However, there are occasional connection errors. Whether this is due to Hughesnet or due to the 3DS network itself, I honestly can't say. But when it works (which is more often than not), it works perfectly!
--
Service Plan: Grandfathered ProPlus -- 425 MB + 100 MB/day, 1050 MB total, 1.6 Mbps DL; 250 Kbps UL)

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan
for whatever reason, mario kart always worked well on hughesnet for me on the wii and ds. plus it doesn't even eat up that much bandwidth

darrenlusk

@opera-mini.net
reply to Doc Lithius
Sherwood dungeon works maidmarian.com refresh needed
wild ones will work playdom.com turn based shooter i play alot :P perfectly except some refresh needed
fightmymonster will work fightmymonster.com (boring) but worth a try you can also try dark orbit (not sure if it works)

trying WOW now never tried before

rookm13

@direcway.com
reply to Doc Lithius
mmorpg:Runescape also works i do have a 3 second lagg from when i click and the character moves but that doesnt bother me since i dont pvp that much, just gotta get the timing right when you go boss hunting.

Skittles_

@direcway.com
reply to Doc Lithius
Has anyone tried Half - Life 1 online? And Team Fortress Classic? Maybe even Counter Strike?

Ok I've decided that tonight I'll purchase TFC and CS and see how they do online. I played HL a while ago and didn't run great.

And for the first few tries, MK7 wouldn't connect to the server, but just now, it connected. So that's nice.

I will also be testing other games such as Blockland, Atmosphir, and maybe roblox if I feel like getting back into my old account.

Doc Lithius

Rock, MI
None of the games you mentioned are really all that playable on HughesNet due to the fact there's a great deal of jitter on the connection. Even with pings of 1,000 MS+, the games would be playable. However, due to it being satellite-based, the connection likes to hiccup and jump around a lot (960ms -> 1271ms -> 1681ms -> 2250ms -> 984ms -> 1103ms, etc. etc.) creating random, unplayable conditions in which you rubber-band and warp around a lot. I will admit that two first-person shooters run fairly well under HughesNet: PlanetSide, due to how it handles connections, and Borderlands, which still plays less-than satisfactory, but you can actually run around and shoot things without a lot of bouncing around.

As mentioned above, Mario Kart 7 is pretty good on HughesNet! I will add that sometimes Red/Blue Shells take a couple seconds to hit their target and holding an item behind you may not always save you from being hit, and of course, depending on how close a race is, you may place one place, but get bumped down a place or two on the score screen. Otherwise, it works pretty darn well.

I haven't heard of two of the three last games you've mentioned, but I'm interested to know how they run on HughesNet.
--

Unko19

@direcway.com
reply to Doc Lithius
I have also played Crysis 2 online with little problems

Skittles_

@direcway.com
reply to Doc Lithius
said by Doc Lithius:

None of the games you mentioned are really all that playable on HughesNet due to the fact there's a great deal of jitter on the connection. Even with pings of 1,000 MS+, the games would be playable. However, due to it being satellite-based, the connection likes to hiccup and jump around a lot (960ms -> 1271ms -> 1681ms -> 2250ms -> 984ms -> 1103ms, etc. etc.) creating random, unplayable conditions in which you rubber-band and warp around a lot. I will admit that two first-person shooters run fairly well under HughesNet: PlanetSide, due to how it handles connections, and Borderlands, which still plays less-than satisfactory, but you can actually run around and shoot things without a lot of bouncing around.

As mentioned above, Mario Kart 7 is pretty good on HughesNet! I will add that sometimes Red/Blue Shells take a couple seconds to hit their target and holding an item behind you may not always save you from being hit, and of course, depending on how close a race is, you may place one place, but get bumped down a place or two on the score screen. Otherwise, it works pretty darn well.

I haven't heard of two of the three last games you've mentioned, but I'm interested to know how they run on HughesNet.

That sucks. I was wanting to play those, too. Also, I wonder if Borderlands 2 will be able to play with Hughes Net.

MK7 is really amazing online. The only problems I have with MK7 is it not connecting to the internet and giving me an error code allot of the times.

I don't even know if I'll get to those 3 cuz I haven't downloaded them yet :P

Also, if you have been wondering if Left 4 Dead 2 and Portal 2 works online, I can test them sometime later. But I'll get right on those ASAP.

Skittles_

@direcway.com
reply to Doc Lithius
Okay I have L4D2 and Portal 2's results.

Left 4 Dead 2 (A little playable to an Extent)- I only played survival with 4 other people and the connection was only 1 bar and my ping was 992. I haven't tried it with any friends or in a smaller group.

Portal 2 (Unplayable) - I try to connect with another user and it connects, but it will load and then will say "Waiting for partner..." and it will give a error saying "Disconnected from Server". I'm not sure if its playable with anyone closer or with a friend.

Pheonix

@direcway.com
My friend and I played 3 matches on MW3 last night once I got my NAT type down to moderate. I had 1 bar the whole game and lagged so bad I couldn't kill him. Also, I can confirm that IMVU works with turbo page disabled and that Killzone 3 works sometimes.

Skittles_

@direcway.com
reply to Skittles_
said by Skittles_ :

Okay I have L4D2 and Portal 2's results.

Left 4 Dead 2 (A little playable to an Extent)- I only played survival with 4 other people and the connection was only 1 bar and my ping was 992. I haven't tried it with any friends or in a smaller group.

Portal 2 (Unplayable) - I try to connect with another user and it connects, but it will load and then will say "Waiting for partner..." and it will give a error saying "Disconnected from Server". I'm not sure if its playable with anyone closer or with a friend.

I have an Update for Portal 2.

ITS SOMEWHAT PLAYABLE. I finally connected to the server and got to play Co - op, yet, If your the host, you wont get much lag, but the other person will. Same way around, if you join, you'll lag like crazy. I don't know about 2 hughes net players playing together.

Left 4 Dead is still Left for Dead.

Anyway, Today I might test if Co - Op on Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary for Xbox 360 for campaign. Not sure about the results, but its worth trying.

I can also try other games out, too. Just give me a few days. I have to see if my friend wants to.

Here is Toon Town's result:

Toon Town (Almost Fully Playable): Actually, it works! Just a bit of lag here and there. Just don't expect to win some of the Trolly games. :l

So yeah. More soon

Doc Lithius

Rock, MI
Man... You are getting much better results than I ever have on HughesNet. You must have a perfectly clear shot at the horizon where you live. As of late, my connection to any given game has had roughly double the ping I used to get. (Around 2,000 ms, up from roughly 900 ms-1,200 ms.) I'm kind of jealous. XD

Skittles_

@direcway.com
said by Doc Lithius:

Man... You are getting much better results than I ever have on HughesNet. You must have a perfectly clear shot at the horizon where you live. As of late, my connection to any given game has had roughly double the ping I used to get. (Around 2,000 ms, up from roughly 900 ms-1,200 ms.) I'm kind of jealous. XD

...really? Wow. Okay, I live in Ohio and yeah, Its pretty clear view where its pointing, not a tree blocking it. So yeah, I guess I'm just lucky.

Didn't get the chance to try CEA today. Probably Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sangheili

join:2012-03-25
Romance, AR
reply to Doc Lithius
OK i've just now found this gem of a board and i havent seen the one game i still play on here.

-Phantasy Star online Blueburst
as far as how well it works..it used to work great (given the few seconds of lag to pickup item drops and such, but i could deal with that) and since i want to say around mid year of 2010 ive had so much trouble.

Before 2010 mid year: i could log on almost every atempt no problem though it took a good minute to get to the character selection screen
but was constant.

After 2010 mid year : Between the hours of 5pm-10pm cst i can log on fairly easily (within 5 attempts or so) however if i play in a room with more than one other person i will disconnect usually.

Also if i try to log on any other time of the day...i could be sitting here for hours trying to do so (yes i have sat here before and tried to log on constantly for 3 1/2 hours and finally got on.

So i am wondering if anyone else can test this for me?
The server i play on (the only one really still alive) is PSOBB schtak
i would greatly apreciate this being tested.

Hoever i am getting a new modem in a few days (yet another 9000)
as this one is currently restarting for no aparent reason.

Skittles_

join:2012-03-26
reply to Doc Lithius
CEA isn't going to come yet, but at a later date. Have results for Sonic Generations

Sonic Generations (Fully Playable): Not that surprising, seeing as how the game doesn't have a matchmaking more of any sorts. But if you go to one of the options (Not the 30 second one) it will lode for EVERY one. That means to get to Planet Wisp, Its going to take you, like, 5 minuets.

What other games should I try? Also, I have a Linksys router, is that why my connection is apparently somewhat good?

Skittles_

join:2012-03-26
Mode* and Load*

Doc Lithius

Rock, MI

1 edit
reply to Sangheili
said by Sangheili:

So i am wondering if anyone else can test this for me?
The server i play on (the only one really still alive) is PSOBB schtak
i would greatly apreciate this being tested.

- Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst, SCHTHack server (Fully Playable*) -- Strangely enough, this game is completely and fully playable under HughesNet -- at the very least, in One Person mode. The only snags I've experienced are a delay when picking up items and the occasional failure to log in. (The game gets stuck on the code screen after updating.) As for in-game, the game seems to compensate for you hitting enemies and vice versa just fine, so the game works. ... provided the SCHTHack people can keep their servers up and running for more than a day at a time. They've apparently screwed something up in their latest update so it closes web browsers and blocks the "play as an NPC" program now. It's all very depressing. Nevermind, that's all been resolved. The game is working fine, aside from closing any program that has words like "cheat" or "trainer" in the window title. Regardless of what they are. Hah!
--
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · next