« [HN9000] Pre-Payingno connection »
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · next

Seven
@direcway.com

Seven to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius

Re: [Networking] Online Gaming on HughesNet

Thanks for compiling this thread. My question is about turbopage and online gaming. Is having it on or off better? I tried doing tests myself running WoW with no other computers on the network, but even then my ping was spread across too big of a variance to really compare the two settings.

Doc Lithius
join:2009-08-19
Rock, MI

Doc Lithius

I have an update for Mabinogi... Seems I jumped the gun a little, there.

- Mabinogi (Works fairly well!) -- As first, I thought there was no debilitating lag in the game. Turns out that I was wrong. Once you get into any sort of fight at all (which is something I didn't test prior), the lag shows its ugly head. Seems that while the combat is turn-based (sort of), even if you input your commands in advance, you're never really able to execute them within an acceptable amount of time.
Let's say you just knocked down a random monster. The logical thing to do next would be to hit either Counterattack or Defense to brace yourself since they have invincibility time while getting back up. On a normal connection, you could pop the command in and execute it before the enemy got near you. On HughesNet, however, the enemy can easily reach you before you've gotten anywhere near finished executing your command!
Here's another very annoying example. You go to attack an enemy with a close-range attack. The enemy won't hold still for whatever reason. Rather than swing at the enemy and clip it as it squirms away, you end up perpetually chasing it until it decides to sit still or potentially attack first!

All this doesn't make the game unplayable, however. The game is still very much playable and enjoyable despite the lag and netcode goofs. Moving around works fine (unless you snag on something, which may happen if you're not careful), interaction works just fine, actions work alright. The usual lag rules apply as well. It's just slightly irritating, is all. Heh.
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
I thought I would update this and say that I just tried Resident Evil 5 online.

I'm not sure how Games For Windows Live works, but ingame everything seemed fairly fluid such as movements albeit a brief delay with some actions. I'm not sure if this is indicative of real world performance but on my end there didn't seem to be much lag or delays at all.

If there is anyone else here that has tried Resident Evil 5 online on a Hughesnet connection please let me know how it performs for you. Perhaps this might be another game that is somewhat playable on satellite without much lag.
Xtreme2damax

to Doc Lithius
Well I guess I chalk it up and try it in a bit, just afraid I'll get yelled at for the lag or get kicked.

I'm not sure if the game is hosted locally, or it uses Microsoft's or the developers/publishers servers when creating a co-op game.

Doc Lithius
Rock, MI

Doc Lithius

We know, X. Either no one has, or no one's telling at this point. XD

In other news, new game to add to the list:
- Mabinogi (Works almost perfectly!) -- As far as I can tell, Mabinogi works just fine on HughesNet. The only snags I've noticed are the usual 1-second input lag (except when just walking places) and an occasional hitch when loading new textures or new areas. I'm not altogether sure the intro area loads correctly, either, but then I've never played the game until I got HughesNet.
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

to Doc Lithius
Just wondering if anyone has tried Resident Evil 5 (PC) co-op online mode on Hughesnet and how well it performs.
Xtreme2damax

to Doc Lithius
I know I've tried Team Fortress 2 on Steam about six months or a year ago and kept jumping all over the place, so I can confirm that isn't playable with Hughesnet.
diragono
join:2005-07-21
Decatur, TN

1 edit

diragono to Xtreme2damax

to Xtreme2damax
I've not had a Hughes system since the HN7000 first hit, but I was actually a pretty avid gamer with my 7000. I'm sure not much has changed with Hughes since I had it. Warcraft 3 ROC and TFT worked pretty well, obviously about a 1.5-3 second delay between when you click to move and it actually happens, but overall worked about as well as dial-up did for that game, especially on DOTA. Sometimes during prime-time you'll lag a lot and sometimes disconnect, but rarely. One thing to note about WC3, if you use the matchmaking service you never have to worry about this, but if you play custom games, never ever ever try to host a game. Everyone will lag worse than COD4 on dial-up, lol. Command and Conquer Red Alert 2, Generals, and Tiberium Wars worked ok, similar results as that for Warcraft, however in the game lobby it shows a ping indicator and a lot of the times with you never leaving red, you'll get the boot. City of Heroes doesn't work very well, it's netcode differs from that of WoW, when you start running after a few seconds you start warping around. Diablo II, from what I remember worked ok when I played it on my DW6000, but I did not hardly play enough for it to matter. As the OP said, Planetside, surprisingly works quite well! Also, I have recently played Rockband 2 on the WII at my friends who has a HN9000 and it seemed to work flawlessly, can be a little slow finding bandmates but other then that once in game, worked fine.
Expand your moderator at work
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

to Doc Lithius

Re: [Networking] Online Gaming on HughesNet

I think some games play as well as the do on Hughesnet because they have good netcode that allows them to compensate for the higher pings of Hughesnet.

I would like to know as I've mentioned above if anyone has tried the Resident Evil 5 (PC) online mode on a Hughesnet connection.

I also own other Games for Windows Live titles and would be interested to hear what other GFWL titles run well on Hughesnet.

Doc Lithius
Rock, MI

Doc Lithius

That's a good question! I hope someone can submit the answer to that question as well as the question I'm about to propose:
Given that certain first-person shooters on the XBox 360 work just fine, I have to ask. Halo-fever is in full swing with the BETA testing of Halo: Reach...so does the current version of Halo: Reach work with HughesNet? I myself don't have an XBox 360, but I'm sure a number of people here would like to know.

Also, to whomever stickied this topic: You are awesome! I'll do my best to test as many games as I possibly can and report my findings back here for future reference!
Xtreme2damax
Port Byron, NY

to Doc Lithius
Hello folks, I have a question and I'm about to prepare myself for the obvious answer. I thought it wouldn't hurt to at least ask..

I was wondering if anyone ever tried the online mode of games that use Games for Windows Live and how these games would work over Hughesnet?

I have Resident Evil 5 and wanted to try the online mode. I started a game for someone to join in but I panicked and quit for fear there would be complaints about lag or I would be kicked anyway because of high pings.

madmallard
@direcway.com

madmallard to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius
you can play mag,killzone2,fear,resistance,resistance2,all of socoms on the ps3.

GoGoGo
@direcpc.com

GoGoGo to donnieb82

Anon

to donnieb82
@icewalk17

I'm not sure why CoD3 works. It's the only CoD that I can play online via 360. I can't even connect to the lobby in CoD4.

Doc Lithius
Rock, MI

3 edits

Doc Lithius to Max Mouse

to Max Mouse
said by Max Mouse:

Doesn't playing online games will only cause you to fap in less than 40 minutes... Thats the reason why I ain't buying/downloading online games right now... >_>
Short Answer: Not generally.
Long Answer: In almost no circumstance will an online game run your FAP over. Even Second Life, which is very download-intensive, runs a fairly low amount of bandwidth per hour. (In my experience, around 10-30 MB.) I actually happen to have a trio of stats handy for analysis.

Scorched3D (Online Mode): 0.03 MB/min (32.4 MB for 18 Hours)
Ragnarok Online: 0.05 MB/min (54.0 MB for 18 Hours)
World of Warcraft: 0.08 MB/min (86.4 MB for 18 Hours)

As you can see, it's not quite as intensive as you might think, but it can add up if you're doing things like multi-boxing (MMO slang for "playing multiple accounts at one time") or things like that.

In addition to this, I have new data to add to the thread.

- Maple Story (Confirmed: Works!) -- mihakken mentioned a few posts back that MapleStory works on HughesNet just fine...and he wasn't kidding! I didn't play for a long while, but I played enough to get a feel for things. Attacking enemies and playing the game works perfectly! Picking up items, not as much. You can grab items, but there'll be a second delay or so before you can grab your loot. You may want to invest in a pet to do this for you if you're worried about thieving vultures hovering over your laggy self.
- GunBound (Works!) -- Works perfectly! The only major snag I've found is that you can't see where the other tanks are aiming as they're aiming, but since it's all turn-based, that's pretty irrelivant to begin with.
- Scorched3D (Works!) -- How I missed this one earlier, I don't know, but this game works perfectly online! Perhaps even better than GunBound! Even in Simultaneous Mode (everyone fires at once), there's no hang-ups and no noticible issues.

And just so you don't think it's all good news... XD
- Armagetron (Works, But Not Recommended) -- Oh, you can play just fine. I played a few rounds on a random server just recently, in fact. But with a ping of over 1,000, you're gonna end up smashing into walls at a record breaking pace! Still, it makes for an interesting show sometimes.

Big update regarding PlanetSide!!!
Okay. I know that someone out there mentioned PlanetSide, a first-person shooter by Sony Computer Entertainment, worked well with HughesNet. Well, after trying it for a couple of hours, I am extremely happy to report that it does indeed work on HughesNet just fine! Which is a big, but pleasant surprise fo anyone out there who wanted to come back into PlanetSide since migrating to HughesNet. As usual, there's a good second of lag between when you shoot someone and when they take damage, but the important thing here is that they take damage! No one warps around, no one skips or disappears... You can see enemies and enemies can see you! As far as I can tell, there is absolutely no noticable down side to playing PlanetSide on HughesNet despite the fact it's a first-person shooter! How cool is that? Sure, it may not be Counter-Strike or Team Fortress 2, but it's something!
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar to tobicat

to tobicat
With 4 computers logged into EverQuest I average 15 to 25 megs an hour so playing mmorpg's at least is not likely to get you fapped unless you have one of the budget plans with low faps.
tobicat
Premium Member
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

tobicat to Max Mouse

Premium Member

to Max Mouse
said by Max Mouse:

Doesn't playing online games will only cause you to fap in less than 40 minutes... Thats the reason why I ain't buying/downloading online games right now... >_>
Downloading the games would probably FAP you unless you used the download manager. Playing them probably would not.

wowow
@direcway.com

wowow to Max Mouse

Anon

to Max Mouse
depends on the game. wow no... could play wow 24 hours a day if u felt like it.
Max Mouse
join:2010-02-28

2 edits

Max Mouse to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius

donnieb82
join:2010-03-30
Kernville, CA

donnieb82 to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
Thanks Doc, appreciate the time and effort on this

Doc Lithius
Rock, MI

Doc Lithius to pitatou

to pitatou
Got another couple that I forgot about until recently:
- Furcadia (Works!) -- Works perfectly aside from the usual input lag stuff! Doesn't work any worse than on dial-up most times.
- Rumble Fighter (Doesn't work?) -- It opens, gives a "P2P server is closed" error message, and that's it. But I'm still not convinced this doesn't work on HughesNet. I'm presently waiting to hear back from an OGPlanet tech support person to see if maybe there's something really dumb that I missed somewhere...

pitatou
@direcway.com

pitatou to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius
hughes says in their advertising that you can " watch movies online" well our net slows to a crawl in the evening hours ..so it should say watch movies at 3AM. If you dont get hit with FAP, no its not good for any gaming anymore. when we started WOW our lat was 700...I know there will be lat but, now after we upgraded to the 9000 our lat is never below 1200 and goes to 20000 in the evenings..useless for anything. As far as checking email if thats all hughes is good for i can do that on dialup.
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar to donnieb82

to donnieb82
Aye, I can't play tanarus or comanche gold online on hughes either.

donnieb82
join:2010-03-30
Kernville, CA

donnieb82 to GoGoGo

to GoGoGo
What? Unless Xbox Live differe completely from the PS3 online MP which I doubt it does, how are you able to play COD3 live with other players and not ghost? I used to have all the COD's on my PS3 and when I tried to link up online with other players I just gave up because while they moved it real time, I was lagging behind so bad I would be dead before I had time to move from respawn.

GoGoGo
@direcpc.com

GoGoGo to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius
I just wanted to say that CoD3 and GTA IV are playable online via XBOX 360.

In CoD3, if you hit someone on your screen they die. There's no visual sign of lag when your are walking or running.

GTA IV is playable, but only with auto-aim. Racing is also possible, but be prepared to see the cars 'slide' a lot.

You can't get the best experience with these games, but it's fun to 'participate' in them.

Doc Lithius
Rock, MI

1 edit

Doc Lithius

I can't seem to edit my opening post anymore, so I'll tack this on here:

- Guild Wars (addendum) -- After some testing, I found out that "Rollerbeetle Racing", a mini-game in Guild Wars, is somewhat incompatable with HughesNet. Oh, you can play it alright, but due to how the netcode works in Guild Wars, you might end up teleporting around that corner you just drove by, "hiccupping" back a few meters at random, or otherwise being unable to finish the race in the alloted time. After five races, I came in 8th place out of 8 due to the lag spikes and such, these happening during off-peak hours.

- Rakion (Doesn't work) -- You can make a character, you can look for rooms, and you can play the tutorial all you want, but even if you make a room with only you inside of it, the game still needs a steady high-speed connection. Once the map loads, you'll immediately be booted back out into the room with a "loading time over, please check your connection" error.

zenzinger
@direcway.com

zenzinger to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius
well here goes

star trek online- works in the freetime window. only lags because of the massive amount of people (only 20 or so onscreen) in the same sector block

Combat arms- dont bother. it'll take you an hour to get from one side to the other

voyage century- it wasnt awe full.

socom confrontation for ps3- not to shabby

im dropping hughesnet like a hot rock as soon as the contract is up or something better comes along i'd take the 200 dollar hit than have to deal with the bs for 2 months longer

Doc Lithius
Rock, MI

1 edit

Doc Lithius to wowow

to wowow
said by wowow :
for what its worth i still box wow on hughesnet. i usally play5 or 6 accounts depending.
Five or six?! What in the world would you need six people for? Regardless, even if they're all the same class, that's pretty darn impressive.

Anyhoo, I've updated the main post with the information you guys gave me. I'm glad this is a topic of interest to so many people! Even better that people are contributing. Thank you!

movedbynoise0
join:2008-05-24
Shady Dale, GA

movedbynoise0 to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
said by Doc Lithius:

- MapleStory -- Untested due to the fact I couldn't seem to log in. It may work, as I've played the Southeast Asia (MapleStory SEA) version from the US on a Cable connection with only a little negative impact, but don't quote me on that.
I used to maple all the time on hughesnet, it works fine...except you have a hard time picking up your drops. I always kept a pet and had the items so it would pick up my drops for me, which eliminated any problems with picking them up. It made playing near normal for me. The only other place I noticed a difference was the free market, and it was just laggy because of all the users. I played for about a year on hughesnet I think.

wowow
@direcway.com

wowow to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius
for what its worth i still box wow on hughesnet. i usally play5 or 6 accounts depending. all the latency is the same accross all of them. if its during any sort of peak hours you cant play a single account but if its off hours its doable. if you dont currently box i wouldnt suggest starting or learning on hughesnet, its not that fun.