page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 6 · 7 · 8 · next

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to Finn532

to Finn532

Re: [Networking] Online Gaming on HughesNet

Yes, I have (with the HT1000, didnt have to disable accelerator) every now and then lag will spike up a bit but good play.. Game don't require much bandwidth neither, the download proccess for me toke from 3am (when it was released) till about 10 minutes to half an hour past 1:00pm so that totals up to being about 10 hours straight downloading and no pausing/stopping.

I have a video uploaded if anyone wants to check it out but i will warn you that you might hear a lot of skyping in the background so just ignore that. »www.dropbox.com/sh/eoktq ··· 2-62.avi

Also the video will skip, thats normal for i put recording on pause every now and then throughout video.
Finn532
join:2012-07-03

1 edit

Finn532 to diablo18926

to diablo18926
You can get the Crysis 3 open beta on Xbox Live, if I'm up during free time I'll download it. I played Crysis on the PC and I wasn't really thrilled. I played Crysis 2 on the 360 and it had very good visuals, even on the 360, it just wasn't that fun in my opinion. If the multiplayer is anything like any other FPS on Hughesnet, it probably won't connect to games, and even if it did, it'd probably be unplayable.

EDIT: I downloaded the Crysis 3 beta on Live, took just over 2 hours to download a the 1.4 gig package. I tried playing with turbo page enabled and disabled but was never able to get past "Initializing playlists" screen. Maybe someone using Gen4 will have better luck?

Zzzz.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
Anyone up for a little beta testing and see what old HN can do?
Here's my latest post on it: »Crysis 3 Beta
Finn532

1 edit

Finn532 to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
Sorry for the double post. I tried Borderlands 2 multiplayer and it was much like the first, being you can connect to people's games but it really isn't an enjoyable experience. You rubber band all over the place, making picking up items a chore, and the delay it which it takes to shoot at your enemies makes it difficult to get anything done. If you have extraordinary patience, you might want to try to play online. It's unplayable in my opinion.

I also tried Assassins Creed 3 multiplayer but I wasn't able to even connect to the Ubisoft servers. I also think that I've never had any of the uPlay stuff work either. It always says "Service is unavailable" or something.

The Dead Space 3 co-op demo was unplayable as well. Given that enemies rush at you, often giving you little time to react as it is, having network delay just makes it unplayable.
Finn532

Finn532 to MmOgAmEr

to MmOgAmEr
said by MmOgAmEr :
You have personally confirmed what exactly? That you can log in? Have you actually tried to play through the content in any of those games successfully with that much delay? Come on... it is ridiculous to say that those games will play "just fine." I guarantee you or anyone else would fail miserably in any pvp event or difficult pve encounter in those games you mentioned. You will be bound to doing errand type quests and other simple tasks like crafting or kill quests with easy mobs.

I would say it is good for social games, but Hughesnet doesn't even play some (like Second Life) well because they constantly stream and eat up your allowance.
There are a lot of other places on the net you can go and vent anonymously, try there. Hughesnet doesn't work well for anything, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect otherwise. The games listed here as "playable", are, but just barely. Truthfully, it's better than nothing.

MmOgAmEr
@direcway.com

MmOgAmEr to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius
You have personally confirmed what exactly? That you can log in? Have you actually tried to play through the content in any of those games successfully with that much delay? Come on... it is ridiculous to say that those games will play "just fine." I guarantee you or anyone else would fail miserably in any pvp event or difficult pve encounter in those games you mentioned. You will be bound to doing errand type quests and other simple tasks like crafting or kill quests with easy mobs.

I would say it is good for social games, but Hughesnet doesn't even play some (like Second Life) well because they constantly stream and eat up your allowance.

Doc Lithius
join:2009-08-19
Rock, MI

Doc Lithius to MmOgAmEr

to MmOgAmEr
Friend, I have personally confirmed the following MMOs work just fine under HughesNet:
- Rusty Hearts
- World of Warcraft
- MapleStory
- GrandChase
- Ragnarok Online
- City of Heroes
(this one's kind of dead now, though)
- Champions Online
- Guild Wars
- Phantasy Star Online
(emulated server only)
- Vindictus (solo play and towns only)
- Mabinogi
- Cartoon Network FusionFall
(uses a load of bandwidth, though)
- PlanetSide (yes, I'm serious)
Others have confirmed even more.

But just like with any kind of online game, some work under HughesNet and some don't. I'm not arguing that Perfect World Online doesn't work. I can't confirm or deny that because I've never tried. But I do know that most every other MMO out there seems to work just fine. Yes, there's input lag. But for the most part, it's manageable.

So, yeah.
Finn532

Finn532 to MmOgAmEr

to MmOgAmEr
Then play an MMO that can actually be enjoyable on Hughesnet. Runes of Magic, Runescape, and Flyff all work decent enough. There is input lag, but it's not a major issue if you're used to playing on Dialup.

MmOgAmEr
@direcway.com

MmOgAmEr to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius
Reading the people saying that certain MMOs work just fine... that is complete BS. The best you can hope to do is log in a game and stand around and talk. Many times that doesn't even work. Maybe HughesNet can be somewhat effective with just social MMOs or something. But even then, games like Second Life are continually streaming something and it just eats up your allowance.

Trying to play an MMORPG like Perfect World (which is an older and less demanding game), I got totally destroyed in anything I tried to do. Timing is just so terribly impossible with the latency that you can not react to anything fast enough to make your gaming enjoyable. I actually gave up trying the satellite and used dial up with Perfect World and it was far more playable than with HughesNet.

To top it off, lately HughesNet is just constantly losing signal or something. Half the times I click on a link it just takes me to a broken page. So it isn't even effective for browsing the internet these days much less playing any games.
Finn532

2 edits

Finn532 to ladeeda

to ladeeda
said by ladeeda :
Does anyone know if MAG actually works on the Ps3?
Even if you could connect to a game, you'd be so far behind other players in terms of latency that you wouldn't be able to get kills and would most likely be unplayable. I don't have a Ps3, so I don't have first hand experience with the game, but my experience with other twitch based shooters says it wouldn't be playable.

ladeeda
@direcway.com

ladeeda to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius
Does anyone know if MAG actually works on the Ps3?
Finn532

1 edit

Finn532 to diablo18926

to diablo18926
It's probably a problem with the Gen4 service, not Microsoft. Games for Windows Live, and Xbox Live work fine for me, I'm using the HN9000.

I went ahead and bought Dark Souls. Put about 15 hours into it, and one part of the co-op multiplayer works, you can summon others to help you fight. It looks a bit wonky, but no ones said anything about lag. I haven't tried PvP, I don't stay human long enough to do invading or much summoning. Signs also work.

There are some issues that are really annoying, I enabled the leader board function in the options and my console would lock up up every 15 or so minutes. I disabled it and haven't had one lock up since. Also when signed into Live and playing Dark Souls, if you get disconnected the game will immediately return you to the main menu.

Once I finish my first playthrough of the game, I'll make a PvP character and see how that works.
Expand your moderator at work

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to Finn532

to Finn532

I tried like heck one day trying to sign up for a windows live gaming account but it failed, some of the pages i had to keep reloading and search all over goggle trying to find a solution.. Now today I tried once more and none of it's making a lick of sense as to what it wants, i give up.

I bought a game from a store one day and was expecting it to all work, well it failed cause my computer was complete junk then i upgraded and solved the lag problem in the GFX and now i only have a problem with trying to get an account, this is ridiculous and stupid if you ask me. I bought the game microsoft! What do you want me to do, post my key's on here next?! Fine then it's: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX i'm done with crap, it gave me a headacke 5 years ago, it won't happen this time, i guarentee it!!
Finn532

Finn532 to diablo18926

to diablo18926
Even on a great connection, Bioshock 2 multiplayer doesn't work right, if at all.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to C0RR0SIVE

to C0RR0SIVE
said by C0RR0SIVE:

I think someone is in lala land...

Xbox Live on Gen4 does NOT currently work. Xbox 360 CAN connect to the internet in diagnostics, but fails to reach Xbox LIVE.

Seems to be an issue with IPv4/IPv6 setup on the system. They are working on it last I heard.

Is this still happening? I just ask cause I have steam and keep trying to play my bioshock 2 MP mode and everytime i try logging into the live gaming account thing it seems to fail.

and yes i have everything setup, also disabling web accelerator does'nt work corrosive.
Finn532

1 edit

Finn532 to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
Has anyone tried Dark Souls mulitplayer? I'm considering picking the game up and since it looks mostly 1 V 1 when being invaded or invading, it looks like it just might be playable. I've never played it, it just looks like a game I'd enjoy. I'll probably pick Dark Souls up around Christmas, and I'll try it out if no one posts about it.

I just picked up Red Dead Redemption GOTY Edition. It plays fairly well online. Hiccups here and there, and occasional drop outs when more than 8-10 people join a session. It plays much better than GTA4. I don't notice much "sliding" except when I'm spectating a game. Definitely playable, even quite enjoyable.

Lonely
@Level3.net

Lonely to Finn532

Anon

to Finn532
Cool, thanks for the reply. So I can suspect the throttled rate will be the same or better on Gen4, that's good. And 15K/sec is still better than dial-up, though some things would probably work better on dial-up still due to latency.
Finn532

Finn532 to Lonely

to Lonely
I'm not on Gen4 but when I hit the cap I get throttled to around 15K/sec with turbopage disabled. The only game I've tried while being throttled was Runescape and it worked, you can also still sign into Xbox Live. I don't get capped very often, but for me getting throttled isn't a huge deal, I'm more annoyed by peak hours. Usually around 7PM-10PM I'm barely able to browse the net and I'm unable to sign onto Live.

I'm not sure, but I think the Gen4 usage meters aren't running (At the time of this post) so there's no way to tell how well it will perform once you get throttled.

Lonely
@Level3.net

Lonely to Doc Lithius

Anon

to Doc Lithius
How terrible would some of these games that work play once you have hit your monthly limit? How terrible is the overall connection once monthly limit is hit anyways? I am a long time (all of my life) user of dial up and only tasting the sweet bliss of high-speed rarely. I have always wanted to try satellite internet but the pricing always feels sad compared to in-town prices of cable/dsl. But what can you do... I'm ready to try! Plus I do work online, which has always been a bummer with slow dial up...

I was thinking of getting the cheapest Gen4 plan. Even if you have a different plan, please let me know how your experience is after hitting cap.

Thanks for the informative thread!
waytim
join:2011-12-01
Sterling, MI

waytim to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
On Gen4 HT1000

Phantasy Star Online 2 (JP version) Works flawlessly. The 600ms latency is negligible, as the enemy actions are client side, instead of server side as in Phantasy Star Universe. Has no problem with 12 person areas, or 50 people in lobby. Look for US release next spring.

Doc Lithius
Rock, MI

Doc Lithius to C0RR0SIVE

to C0RR0SIVE
You know, with the advent of Gen4 and such, maybe this topic should be renamed to "Online Gaming on HughesNet 7K/9K" or something similar. Gaming on a much more stable (and faster) connection is, of course, going to get much different results.
Expand your moderator at work
C0RR0SIVE
join:2012-06-19
Salvisa, KY

C0RR0SIVE to Finn532

to Finn532

After playing around a lot...

Gen4 Echostar HT1000 system:
Xbox Live only works for me with Web-Acceleration disabled on the modem - should be fixed soon. Minimal lag, advertisements love to eat my bandwidth up, had to block several servers the xbox connects to for pulling those adverts.

Classic Battle.net games such as Starcraft: Broodwar, Warcraft III, and Diablo 2: LOD all work great with 650-750 ping. Sat down with a friend and played with out stutters for once over battle.net though latency could be seen by me, it didn't lag the game up much at all.

Starcraft 2: Haven't tried just yet, can't get into my account due to a password issue... Stupid Battle.net 2.0.
Finn532

Finn532 to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
I was able to get into the Xbox Live Beta, and get a prerelease version of Happy Wars. If my current information is correct, it also goes "Free2Play" on the 12 of October to all Xbox Live Gold members. So basically, anyone with a Gold account can download it for free, and earn achievements, and will be supported by micro-transactions.

This game currently works and is playable, however the usual lag will set you behind other players. If you time your actions carefully, you can compensate to a degree. It also may take several attempts to get into a game, as currently people with regular connections are posting in various forums about random disconnections. I don't know if Hughes' current issues are causing my matchmaking issues, or if it's the Happy Wars server itself, or a combination of both.
C0RR0SIVE
join:2012-06-19
Salvisa, KY

C0RR0SIVE to impairedtrth

to impairedtrth
I think someone is in lala land...

Xbox Live on Gen4 does NOT currently work. Xbox 360 CAN connect to the internet in diagnostics, but fails to reach Xbox LIVE.

Seems to be an issue with IPv4/IPv6 setup on the system. They are working on it last I heard.
Finn532

Finn532 to impairedtrth

to impairedtrth
said by impairedtrth :
Gen4 basic is 12.0mbps to 15.8mpbs for upload and download resaulting your ping down to 50 which isnt to bad for xbox live cause there servers setting is around 37ms for their ping.

I'd like to know where you're getting your source information at.
impairedtrth
join:2012-09-30

impairedtrth to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
Guys there is a few games that work over xbox live that actually run kinda well.

Gta Iv + Episodes of liberty city = Depending on download allowance with hughesnet the more its filled the better it will run. Has some lag you dont lag but other players do and you lag too them unless its in between your unlimited region which is 2am and 7am which makes it run better.

Black ops or any other first person shooter will actually connection to a host if you have patience but experiance alot of lag cause they are thaicy games which means the lag you get is random might run fine then lag everywhere so unless you like dieing alot I wouldnt recomence it

TDU2 (Test Drive Unlimited 2) Same as Gta IV has some lag when someone enters the lobby your in game will intemently freeze for at least 3 secs maybe even freeze your console to where you have to shut it off

Thats all I know of we have Basic our download speed is like 0.53mbps and our upload is at 0.18 mbps and our ping is minimum 800ms moderate 1400ms and high 1763ms and our ping is stable at high

Pc gaming runs great just depends on the performance of the pc thats running the game at the time every now and then there is a little bit of lag to alot most the time none it just depends on the pc and the performance its running and the performance the game needs to run.

Theres goods news to all this you ready?? As of fall 2012 Hughesnet is launching Gen4. They come out swap your hardware (Modem and Dish) And it fixes all of this youll be able to play online Via Xbox live, Playstion Network PC or whatever you guys play. It only costs depending on your plan which for us its an extra 10 bux a month cause were not buying the equipment were renting it from them. But from what they say you on there original plans they have such a high setting cause of where your signal goes. Gen4 rapidally sends it plus the download and upload speed is mulitpled by 5 too 10 times what your plan has lowering the signal of ping making it better for online gaming.

Like lets say you have basic plan your upload and download should be 1.0mbps which is the same has time warner roadrunner basic I think. And your ping is around lets say 1400. Gen4 basic is 12.0mbps to 15.8mpbs for upload and download resaulting your ping down to 50 which isnt to bad for xbox live cause there servers setting is around 37ms for their ping.

Hope this helps guys. Do what I did and switch to Gen4

And oh yeah almost forgot if you experiance on xbox live that ppl can hardly hear you cause your breaking out you go to your dashboard and go to network settings go to advanced and go to where it says manuly enter dns address for primary put 8.8.8.8 for secondary put 8.8.4.4 thats googles public server it actually fixes that a little bit and also fixes your connection a little bit

Any more questions just shoot me an email at acheivement.unlocked@hotmail.com thats actually how its spelled no lie. Or add me on xbox live my gamertag is twistymcspliff

Happy Gaming!

Doc Lithius
Rock, MI

Doc Lithius

Well, I ask because with the absolute latest update, supposedly, they finally optimized the bandwidth usage for playing online. I haven't had the opportunity to check myself, either, but I have been quite curious!

No worries, though.
Finn532

Finn532 to Doc Lithius

to Doc Lithius
I'll look into that. I played for about 30 minutes but didn't notice a huge amount of usage at the time. Lately my connections been crappier than usual, and I can't connect to games I usually play. I'll check in a day or two.