Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Brax

join:2010-04-18
Aiken, SC
reply to ChuxBuster

Re: Packet Loss during online gaming

This has been happening to myself for the past several months (I want to say 6months?) in the South Carolina Area.

When playing online video games, or online videos, i'll get 8 to 22% packetloss at random intervals ALL day & night long. This has caused me to completely stop playing Darkfall Online (hardcore item loss pvp MMO) as well as numerous other online games.

The symptoms include:
-Randomly from 30minutes to 3hrs of gameplay the game i'm playing will experience MASSIVE lag spikes. So much so that the game ends up stopping entirely with no updates at ALL to the game. Eventually I'll go LD if I leave it for long enough. In online games such as EQ2 this results in a phenominon known as going "Half-LD" where you don't see ANY game updates at all, but other people can see you doing abilities etc. This means, you're not receiving any data from the server, but you're still sending it (generally speaking). This can be VERY noticable when you die on the server side, and you're client still doesn't know you're dead, so what ends up happening is your corpse will walk around the zone as if it was still living (been petitioned multiple times for "cheating" due to this).

Thanks to the help of others on this forum, I've tracked my MASSIVE packet loss to the "ae-7-7.ebr3.Atlanta2.Level3.net" router on the Atlantic Broadband pipe that I HAVE to go through to go ANYWHERE. That SPECIFIC router will go from 8 to 22% packet loss 24/7 hrs a day.

It's also a good thing to mention that apparently DSL in the South Carolina area does NOT go through this particular backbone. This, ignorantly, leads me to the belief this is an Atlantic Broadband specific issue.

-Rj