Looking for cures in memory of Mom
Premium Member
join:2003-05-11
Crab Nebula

1 edit

Nanoprobe3

Premium Member

Boinc,Ubuntu and USB

As many of you know I'm running crunchers with a stripped down version of Ubuntu on USB drives. They've been purring along until today. The electricity went out for about 30 minutes. When it came back on and the crunchers booted all of the ones running on the USB drives were no longer attached to their projects. They lost all of the WUs in progress and I had to go back and reattach them all to WCG. I'm at a loss on this one. All the crunchers are using 8GB drives and each have 1GB of memory. Is there a way to keep this from happening in the future short of a UPS on each?

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane

Numquam oblita

I've had this happen on regular boxes..we lose power here alot

Not sure if anyone else has what to add, but I'd recommend one UPS with several outlets to cover each

Nanoprobe3
Premium Member
Crab Nebula

1 edit

Nanoprobe3

Premium Member

Thanks lil. I have one running linux on a HDD and it didn't have the issue when the power went off. I may just switch them all to HDDs if there is no other solution. Several running on 1 UPS probably wouldn't last 30 minutes and I really don't want the extra expense of UPSs.

ayoustic
A Crunching Machine
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30
Bellefonte, PA
ARRIS SB8200
Linksys WRT3200ACM
Obihai OBi202

2 recommendations

ayoustic

Premium Member

Greetings,

Thanks for pointing the other thread over here. I didn't see this one . It sounds like a symptom of running a linux boinc install with the "data" directory not pointing to your usb key. It's possible that linux has changed the drive "letter" or assignment or your usb key and is effectively chaning the path to your data directory; so, it's treating your BOINC install as not being attached yet, since the data directory doesn't exist or isn't where BOINC is looking. Can you check this out?

If you launch your BOINC Manager, check out the Messages tab to find "Work Directory:" and make sure that exists.

Let us know how you make out and we'll go from there.

ayoustic

Nanoprobe3
Premium Member
Crab Nebula

1 recommendation

Nanoprobe3

Premium Member

I'm not running the USB drives at this time because of this issue. I'll be out of town this weekend but I'll fire one up next week and let you know what I find. I hope this can be fixed because the WUs seem to get done much quicker running off the USB drives. Just an FYI, the linux I'm running is called DCLinux. It's a stripped down older version of Ubuntu and comes with the BOINC client and Firefox as part of the install.
Thanks for helping.