how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sjc1204

join:2006-05-26
San Jose, CA

The dreaded call from Comcast

I got that dreaded call from Comcast yesterday for going over the 250gb monthly cap. Between online backups, large work transfers and a ton of streaming via Vudu, I went over.

I was able to get U-Verse to confirm they do not have caps and have an install scheduled. I'm skeptical that I'll have the reliability and better than promised speeds but would like to get your feedback on this change I'm making.

Also, why does Comcast do this? People hate them enough already.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
Perhaps you are being unrealistic.
I doubt you'll recieve "better than promised speeds" from Uverse or any xDSL provider.
comcast does offer a higher priced, business class tier, without caps, which might be more appropreate for your useage (''large work transfers ")

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to sjc1204
I think there's a large chunk of the story you are leaving out. Like repeated overages, etc.

Business class tiers are also available from Comcast.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

sjc1204

San Jose, CA
reply to sjc1204
Yes, I went over 3 months in a row. I typically transfer 1-2 GB for work 5 nights a week so maybe the business package is the way to go.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
Ask your employer to subsidize the additional cost.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to sjc1204
thats 40 gigs a month...your doin way more then work....

sjc1204

San Jose, CA
reply to sjc1204
Yep. 4 roommates, 3 VuDu boxes (streaming HDx), 1 Apple TV plus Netflix.

JohnQPublic6
Premium
join:2002-03-22
Xanadu

1 recommendation

reply to gar187er
said by gar187er:

thats 40 gigs a month...your doin way more then work....
What difference does that make?

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to sjc1204
said by sjc1204:

Yep, that's a typical home user there
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

sjc1204

San Jose, CA
reply to sjc1204

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD
reply to sjc1204
said by sjc1204:

I got that dreaded call from Comcast yesterday for going over the 250gb monthly cap. Between online backups, large work transfers and a ton of streaming via Vudu, I went over.
So what did they tell you? Were they going to charge you a fee or cut you off?
--
"Net Neutrality" zealots - the people you can thank for your capped Internet service.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to sjc1204
So how much data did you use?

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to sjc1204
Full details of the call, please.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL

1 recommendation

reply to sjc1204
said by sjc1204:

large work transfers
Get a business account if you are using it for work

dubenezic

join:2004-05-06
Jersey City, NJ
reply to sjc1204
You want people to validate your decision?

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to sjc1204
"The download speed is limited to 4Mbps, so even if you have a 20Mbps connection, you'll still have to wait four hours for an HDX title to download"
Wow...

4 Mbps) * 60 seconds * 60 * 4 = 7.03125 gigabytes

7 GB per movie. Yeah, that could eat into your cap w/3 VuDu boxes!

Hey, for fun, let us know how it works out with uVerse. I've not heard anyone have an actual positive experience with that. Then again, with 5 of you splitting the bill you should be able to afford 50/10 or at least 22/5 business class easy.
--

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to sjc1204
said by sjc1204:

Also, why does Comcast do this?
To weed out the bandwidth hogs who use tens or hundreds of times more data than the average user so they don't have to subsidize your overuse. I completely support Comcast. You shouldn't have even gotten multiple warnings.

said by sjc1204:

People hate them enough already.
No, most don't.

mjfink420

join:2010-04-06
reply to sjc1204
Move to business class. Comcast doesn't advertise business class as "uncapped residential class", but, in effect, for what you're doing, that's exactly what it is. There have been posters on here who've used 1TB+ in a month on business class with nary a word from Comcast.

I just moved to business class because I was always on the "edge" of going over. And let me tell you, the sense of "peace" that I have now knowing that I don't need to worry about the cap is worth EVERY penny of business class.

I've about 2-3Xed my use after moving to business class; I'm looking at about 500G this month. That's about as much as I "want" to use, that's all my downloading, backups, full time VPN to work (with a lot of transfers), torrents, etc.. If the cap was 500G, I probably wouldn't have moved to business class; that's about as much data as I "need" to transfer in a month.

mod_wastrel
iamwhatiam

join:2008-03-28
reply to sjc1204
said by sjc1204:

...why does Comcast do this?

Question asked.

said by mjfink420:

...the sense of "peace" that I have now knowing that I don't need to worry about the cap is worth EVERY penny of business class.

Question answered: more money--for changing nothing but the "class" on your bill.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to ctggzg
said by ctggzg:

said by sjc1204:

Also, why does Comcast do this?
To weed out the bandwidth hogs who use tens or hundreds of times more data than the average user so they don't have to subsidize your overuse. I completely support Comcast. You shouldn't have even gotten multiple warnings.

said by sjc1204:

People hate them enough already.
No, most don't.
Using 100% of your connection does not mean others are paying more for your usage. The costs of the network are fixed based on your physical line and the equipment you are connected to. The OP pays for their connection and you pay for yours.
If you use your connection 10% of the time or 70% of the time you are not costing comcast any more money.

The OP is making the right decision to get away from comcrap and their caps. It just means less money for comcrap.
If comcast really had true competition in all their areas there would be no cap. They only do it because they are basically a monopoly.

said by sjc1204:

I would agree that is normal usage for a household and comcast should be able to let you use 100% of your residential connection.
--
Republicans: less fiscally conservative than that other party.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to mjfink420
Comcast Business Class Prices
50/10 - $189.95
22/5 - $99.95
16/2 - $89.95
12/2 - $59.95
Business class cost more due to paying for uptime and better customer service. The OP does not need those extra costs.

Comcast Residential Prices
50/10 - $99.99
20/4 - $57.95
12/2 - $42.95
1/.384 - $24.95

You should not have to pay for the business extras just to use your connection without caps.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
said by r81984:

You should not have to pay for the business extras just to use your connection without caps.
"business extras" INCLUDES using more data.

The residential product is differentiated on SPEED, not total bandwidth USED.

You are able to use all your speed you pay for, up to 250GB.

The business product is differentiated on SPEED + more bandwidth + far far better service. It also is not uncapped (although the caps are not disclosed and are apparently far higher then residential, the verbiage is in the contract.)

Lets NOT rehash this again, please.

To recap:
Residential - pick your speed, all speeds capped at 250G - comcast lets you use ALL your speed UPTO your CAP, and you KNOW THIS WHEN YOU BUY IT.

Business - pick your speed, all speeds capped far beyond typical use*

*but I bet you $5 if you use 100% of your bandwidth in a month you'll get a call.
--

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX

1 recommendation

Remeber when comcast did not have caps???
Seriously, stop trying to justify caps.
--

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL
reply to r81984
said by r81984:

Comcast Business Class Prices
50/10 - $189.95
22/5 - $99.95
16/2 - $89.95
12/2 - $59.95
Business class cost more due to paying for uptime and better customer service. The OP does not need those extra costs.

Comcast Residential Prices
50/10 - $99.99
20/4 - $57.95
12/2 - $42.95
1/.384 - $24.95

If he would like to use it for work purposes, then yes, he does need it.

unoriginal
Premium
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA
reply to r81984
said by r81984:

If a residential customer moves from res to small biz service and is using the exact same cable drop and modem as they were before how exactly does Comcast guarantee better uptime? I can't speak to better CS but I know someone in San Jose that recently made this move and says that their traceroute and overall routing are exactly the same as before. No change. Just a bigger bill to avoid the 250GB cap of the residential service.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to r81984
Data transmission cost money. Not sure why that's so hard to understand.
--
I am not authorized to speak on behalf of my employer.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

1 recommendation

reply to unoriginal
their traceroute and overall routing are exactly the same as before. No change. Just a bigger bill to avoid the 250GB cap of the residential service.
Yes. If you want unlimited data transmission, you have to pay for it. Is it really that complicated?
--
I am not authorized to speak on behalf of my employer.

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL
reply to sjc1204
If his company expects him to do work from home and use his internet, they should be paying for the bill or reimburse. But he still should be on the business class regardless.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to unoriginal
said by unoriginal:

If a residential customer moves from res to small biz service and is using the exact same cable drop and modem as they were before how exactly does Comcast guarantee better uptime? I can't speak to better CS but I know someone in San Jose that recently made this move and says that their traceroute and overall routing are exactly the same as before. No change. Just a bigger bill to avoid the 250GB cap of the residential service.
In the business class TOS we have 24/7 access to a totally different technical support team, and truck rolls in under 12 hours. That yields better up time.

And yes, we pay more for more bandwidth.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to r81984
said by r81984:

Remeber when comcast did not have caps???
Seriously, stop trying to justify caps.
Stop asking to not pay for a cap-less service. Seriously.
--