Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to nerdburg

Premium Member

to nerdburg

Re: The dreaded call from Comcast

said by nerdburg:

The Feds could drop a few hundred billion, get the country wired up with fiber..and we could steal share files all day long!
And then watch all thread disinegrate into ("the 'guberment' is capping me/ tracking me/ underserving me/ overcharging me, etc?)
It isn't the role we really want to see the FCC.
We do want them to provide a direction, regulation, encourgement and progressive legislation/guidance for those private companies that provide and build broadband solutions, and last mile networks

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

2 edits

r81984 to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:
said by r81984:

hat is not the point.
If they give you 50mbps you should be able to max it out for as long as you want based on YOUR need and not your neighbors.
So, you want to use 15.4495239 terabytes a month, for $100.

Yeah. That's realistic.
Why would it not be realistic???

Companies like comcast are monopolies and they will put profits over everything. They will limit their internet to try to create more money for their cable tv and phone services.
Caps are just the first limit.

It is crazy that any customer supports caps like so many in this topic.
r81984

r81984 to nerdburg

Premium Member

to nerdburg
said by nerdburg:

I feel like I just lost a few IQ points reading that. Of course you can use statistical analysis for predictive reasoning. Business and industry do it everyday - from NASA to Wal-Mart.
Predictive reasoning??? Did you just create your own form of statistics based on opinions?

If a process is in control you can certainly make real predictions using statistics.
If the process is not in control like when it comes to retail habits or how much someone will use your internet connection then all you are doing is what is call "forecasting" which is a guess that will always be wrong.
You see that kind of BS predicting used every year in business reports where they estimate quarterly earnings. Sometimes you get lucky by guessing and many times you just guess wrong because you can't predict the future. You also see it in retail where they try to forecast christmas sales and then you hear in the news sales where expected to match last year, but they actually when down 10% due to the crappy economy. Just because you use fancy math does not mean you can predict the future with an uncontrolled process.

Is statistics that hard to understand??

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to r81984

MVM

to r81984
said by r81984:

I am speaking the facts. Comcast is lying about their speeds if they can only let you download 250gb a month. Their network cannot sustain anything faster than 768kbps.
Speed is the rate at which you download data. 250GB isn't a "speed", but a volume. You can download data at 1 mb/s, or 1,000 mb/s, without affecting the quantity of data you can download. The difference between different speeds isn't how much data you can download, but how long it will take to download a given amount of data.

Comcast is selling their Internet service base on speed of the connection; but they want to limit the volume of data you can download. Once you comprehend that "speed" != "volume", you will be on the road to understanding.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

said by NormanS:
said by r81984:

I am speaking the facts. Comcast is lying about their speeds if they can only let you download 250gb a month. Their network cannot sustain anything faster than 768kbps.
Speed is the rate at which you download data. 250GB isn't a "speed", but a volume. You can download data at 1 mb/s, or 1,000 mb/s, without affecting the quantity of data you can download. The difference between different speeds isn't how much data you can download, but how long it will take to download a given amount of data.

Comcast is selling their Internet service base on speed of the connection; but they want to limit the volume of data you can download. Once you comprehend that "speed" != "volume", you will be on the road to understanding.
I guess you have not read anything in this thread.
I am fully aware how they relate, but limiting volume by a montly rate does limit your speed for the month.

Comcast is selling 768kbps service with speedboost up to 50mbps as long as you do not use your connection 24/7.

Once you understand that speed and volume are related then you will be on the road to understanding.
muranternet
join:2009-10-19
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

muranternet

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS to r81984

MVM

to r81984
said by r81984:

I have read enough to know that the post you are quoting is in line with what other posters have posted.
I am fully aware how they relate, but limiting volume by a montly rate does limit your speed for the month.
It surely does not. If I equate volume with distance, and put two drivers on two different roads, with driver A on the road with a ten mile "volume", and a brick wall at the end, and driver B on the road with a hundred mile "volume", and a brick wall at the end, both drivers can reach a speed of 120 mph very easily. But what happens when they use up their "volumes", and come to the brick walls?
Comcast is selling 768kbps service with speedboost up to 50mbps as long as you do not use your connection 24/7.
Exactly. They are selling speed, not volume. And if you try to use that speed 25/7, you will hit the brick wall!
Once you understand that speed and volume are related then you will be on the road to understanding.
But that is so wrong as to be absurd that anybody could actually believe it.

P.S. Let me add another example. I have a 5 gallon bucket. I can set the speed of the pump to 1 gpm flow rate (speed), or 5 gmp flow rate (speed). The question is, whether I choose 1 gpm, or 5 gpm, what happens when I reach the 5 gallon limit of the bucket?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

said by JohnInSJ:
said by r81984:

hat is not the point.
If they give you 50mbps you should be able to max it out for as long as you want based on YOUR need and not your neighbors.
So, you want to use 15.4495239 terabytes a month, for $100.

Yeah. That's realistic.
Why would it not be realistic???
Because... uh, you cannot buy 15.4TB of data volume from any internet provider for $100. That's ...
((100 US$) / (15 TB)) * (1 GB) = 0.00651041667 U.S. dollars

.6 pennies per GB, just for data. I assume you don't expect the thieving basdards to stay in business for more then a week or so?

Honestly, you cannot possible believe what you are posting. You've GOT to be kidding, right?

Please, dear God, tell me you are kidding.
JohnInSJ

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

I completely understand your confusion over how these two are related.

Volume is fixed by Comcast Terms Of Service across all consumer products, at 250GB maximum per calendar month.

Speed is variable across all consumer products.

Once you exceed the TOS, you are no longer operating the service within the agreed upon terms, and are in breach of contract. This is true for exceeding the volume, using the service to break the law, or anything else outlined in the TOS. You are bound to the usage you agreed to when you agreed to the TOS. If you do not agree with the TOS, you should not purchase the service.

The service provider can disconnect you once you are in breach of the TOS.

End of story. Still. This is the product they are selling. You might wish they were selling a different product, but you could also wish you had billions of dollars. Wishing something doesn't make it true. Or right. Or fair.

For example, I wish you would understand my point. I am prepared to be disappointed.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

You see that kind of BS predicting used every year in business reports where they estimate quarterly earnings. Sometimes you get lucky by guessing and many times you just guess wrong because you can't predict the future. You also see it in retail where they try to forecast christmas sales and then you hear in the news sales where expected to match last year, but they actually when down 10% due to the crappy economy. Just because you use fancy math does not mean you can predict the future with an uncontrolled process.
Yes but can't bona fide patterns be established by the long term use of these methods ?
FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

FactChecker to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

Because... uh, you cannot buy 15.4TB of data volume from any internet provider for $100.
Speed, Usage, Cheap: Pick 2.

People want all three, but ISPs can only make money by providing 2 of the 3. Some do provide all 3 today, but be assured they are not making any money from those customers. Only avoiding the hard marketing aspect of telling customers like it is.

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
Predictive reasoning??? Did you just create your own form of statistics based on opinions?
I'm sorry you don't understand. When someone like Wal-Mart is data mining, they use predictive modeling which is a from of AI. The models get their AI from predictive analytic algorithms, which is rule-based predictive reasoning.

If you would like to learn more, I highly recommend Zhengxin Chen's Computational Intelligence for Decision Support and his Data Mining and Uncertain Reasoning: An Integrated Approach. He has some really good stuff about machine learning and association rules and algorithms.

www.amazon.com/Data-Mini ··· 71388785)

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech to sjc1204

Premium Member

to sjc1204
I think this thread is nearing the end of it's useful life :/

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by beachintech:

I think this thread is nearing the end of it's useful life :/
That happened on the first page. The last 6 are the usual ceremonial dead horse beating that follows any such discussion.

CajunTek
Insane Cajun
Premium Member
join:2003-08-08
Arlington, TX

CajunTek to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
Hmm. I have a little physics, and in all my studies I can find no place where speed and volume are related.... Oh well.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984 to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:
said by r81984:

I have read enough to know that the post you are quoting is in line with what other posters have posted.
It surely does not. If I equate volume with distance, and put two drivers on two different roads, with driver A on the road with a ten mile "volume", and a brick wall at the end, and driver B on the road with a hundred mile "volume", and a brick wall at the end, both drivers can reach a speed of 120 mph very easily. But what happens when they use up their "volumes", and come to the brick walls?
Exactly. They are selling speed, not volume. And if you try to use that speed 25/7, you will hit the brick wall!
But that is so wrong as to be absurd that anybody could actually believe it.

P.S. Let me add another example. I have a 5 gallon bucket. I can set the speed of the pump to 1 gpm flow rate (speed), or 5 gmp flow rate (speed). The question is, whether I choose 1 gpm, or 5 gpm, what happens when I reach the 5 gallon limit of the bucket?

What happens if you paid for a 5 gallon bucket and comcast caps you at 2 gallons?
r81984

1 edit

r81984 to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:
said by r81984:

I completely understand your confusion over how these two are related.

Volume is fixed by Comcast Terms Of Service across all consumer products, at 250GB maximum per calendar month.

Speed is variable across all consumer products.

Once you exceed the TOS, you are no longer operating the service within the agreed upon terms, and are in breach of contract. This is true for exceeding the volume, using the service to break the law, or anything else outlined in the TOS. You are bound to the usage you agreed to when you agreed to the TOS. If you do not agree with the TOS, you should not purchase the service.

The service provider can disconnect you once you are in breach of the TOS.

End of story. Still. This is the product they are selling. You might wish they were selling a different product, but you could also wish you had billions of dollars. Wishing something doesn't make it true. Or right. Or fair.

For example, I wish you would understand my point. I am prepared to be disappointed.
The TOS say so, case closed right????

Comcast as a monopoly is limiting the internet, but you say that is OK because Comcast's TOS written by Comcast say so???
r81984

r81984 to EG

Premium Member

to EG
said by EG:
said by r81984:

Yes but can't bona fide patterns be established by the long term use of these methods ?
No, because the process is not in control. People have too many variables to predict. You might be close several years and you might be completely wrong for several years.

If you understood statistic you would laugh when people try to forecast sales, usage, etc based only on past trends.
r81984

r81984 to nerdburg

Premium Member

to nerdburg
said by nerdburg:
I'm sorry you don't understand. When someone like Wal-Mart is data mining, they use predictive modeling which is a from of AI. The models get their AI from predictive analytic algorithms, which is rule-based predictive reasoning.

If you would like to learn more, I highly recommend Zhengxin Chen's Computational Intelligence for Decision Support and his Data Mining and Uncertain Reasoning: An Integrated Approach. He has some really good stuff about machine learning and association rules and algorithms.

www.amazon.com/Data-Mini ··· 71388785)
So if you program an AI to use statistics then you can predict the future? You have no idea what you are saying right now.
Expand your moderator at work
r81984

r81984 to CajunTek

Premium Member

to CajunTek

Re: The dreaded call from Comcast

said by CajunTek:

Hmm. I have a little physics, and in all my studies I can find no place where speed and volume are related.... Oh well.
In a certain period of time, speed can limit volume.
In a certain period of time, volume can limit speed.

Sigh....

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
said by r81984:

No, because the process is not in control. People have too many variables to predict. You might be close several years and you might be completely wrong for several years.

So civilized society on the whole may as well pack it in concerning this..

If you understood statistic you would laugh when people try to forecast sales, usage, etc based only on past trends.

So now you know (or don't know) what "I" understand huh...

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
I have been following this thread since the beginning and none of your comments make any sense at all.
There is a cap and as long as Comcast owns the system and wants that cap there will be one, so get over it.
If you want to download 24/7 get a business account and stop complaining.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to r81984

MVM

to r81984
said by r81984:

What happens if you paid for a 5 gallon bucket and comcast caps you at 2 gallons?
Eh? I am not paying for "gallons", I am paying for "gallons per minute". The two are not the same thing!
NormanS

NormanS to r81984

MVM

to r81984
said by r81984:

I worked for a retailer who used a three month running average to predict trends. It was very useful to prevent overstock/understock of inventory. Running averages are a type of statistic.
NormanS

NormanS to Anon

MVM

to Anon
said by r81984:

I will give credit to Comcast marketing. They are doing a great job.
I've not seen Comcast marketing defending, or even announcing, their cap.
Expand your moderator at work